Charging at work. Yay or Nay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peter said:
eclecticflower said:
OK, so I decided it would be nice to charge today at the ChargePoint station located in the medical school parking garage across from our hospital. I normally charge overnight at home, but I blew it off last night (since I can), but I think I might need the extra range this evening. Looked up the station on the ChargePoint site and it's in use, which is rare around here. OK, I have a coworker LEAFer that might be using it. Hmmm...since it was lunchtime, I decided to walk across the street to check...lo and behold, a Volt from Texas (this is KCMO) was camping in the spot, charge completed. The signage, unfortunately, says it's "parking for electric vehicles" and NOT "parking for EV's while charging;" the floor space is also marked. Thought about the possibility of unplugging/bringing my LEAF over to charge in one of the unoccupied spaces on either side of the Volt, but my coworker had said he got a (campus) ticket when he did that, since those spaces aren't marked for EV charging! I later recalled how those Volts have screaming alarms if you unplug them :? ...so I decided to be a stealth trickle-charger in our parking garage :twisted: , IF I could locate a space near a wall plug. There are plugs near the stairwells at the far corners of our garage. I lucked out and found an empty, covered space (no battery baking!) next to a stairwell, where the cord would reach the plug & car. I'm trickle charging now, first time EVER! :lol: I left the bubble wrap on the brick for protection and lowered the charge port cover over the EVSE handle to minimize it's noticeability. I'm crossing my fingers nobody will get too nosey and see it charging...Now I'm thinking I may have to go place a kindly charging etiquette card on the Volt, since it's STILL hogging that charging space over an hour later (with no "OK to unplug me at xx time" note). :( :roll:

Someone got a ticket for charging in a non-EV marked space? There's a law/rule/ordinance that says an EV cannot charge in an unmarked space? I would so fight that one...

I would just unplug the Volt if he is not charging. The alarm only goes for 30 secs I believe - no big wup.
It may have had something to to with having a hangtag for their garage on your mirror if in one of their other spaces, not sure, thought he had one/maybe not. Their garage entry is open at all times, so that setup doesn't work.

A bit OT, but this will come up for those charging at work, so...

When I change the battery setting from 80% to 100% with the car plugged in, the car doesn't start to charge unless I shut it off, unplug it, then plug it back in. Is there a way to get CarWings to recognize that the car is actually plugged in, and start charging without having to 'cycle the plug'? The reason I want to do this is I work nights, and want to charge to 80% in the mornings, then start charging a couple of hours before I leave for work, so the battery doesn't sit at 100%. This should be a common practice for those who have plenty of EV spaces at work, as well...

Well, that was easy! The red "not plugged in" icon is just a software glitch. When I clicked on "Start Charging" in CarWings the car started to charge, and the icon changed to "Plugged In." Now I don't have to go outside in 91F weather just to unplug it and plug it back in.

Back