My car likes me too much to let me get out!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

Ok, maybe not, but I have noticed that if I'm in Park, with the parking brake engaged, the car will not let me open the drivers door. I have to turn the vehicle off before the handle will open the door. This seems a bit strange since Park with the parking brake engaged should keep the car from going anywhere.....if all I have to do it grab something off the driveway, it seems overkill to make me turn off/on the car completely.

Did I miss something in the manual? (ok, I've skimmed it so far.....maybe RTFM is in order.)
:oops:

Jimmydreams said:
Ok, maybe not, but I have noticed that if I'm in Park, with the parking brake engaged, the car will not let me open the drivers door. I have to turn the vehicle off before the handle will open the door. This seems a bit strange since Park with the parking brake engaged should keep the car from going anywhere.....if all I have to do it grab something off the driveway, it seems overkill to make me turn off/on the car completely.

Did I miss something in the manual? (ok, I've skimmed it so far.....maybe RTFM is in order.)

Unlock the door manually Jimmy (by moving the lever beside the door handle)....that works.

mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:

Unlock the door manually Jimmy (by moving the lever beside the door handle)....that works.

Will do. Thanks for the info!! I'm just used to cars that automatically unlock when you open the handle. And the Leaf does that, but only if the car is off. Interesting.

this sounds like a safety issue to me. I posted in another thread a while ago about how I hate automatic locks, and it seems there is no way to disable it on the LEAF, but you can enable/disable the automatic unlock. But you are saying that the drivers door doesn't have the mechanical automatic unlock when you pull the handle?? I thought all cars had this..

I could see that as useful. Unusual, but useful.

Alternatively, they could have a low rumbling "wubbawubba" sound in the cabin the whole time the car is on. Like my other car. :)

garygid said:
Yes, it seems like a nice, extra "safety feature" to remind you that you left "her" turned on.
Right. Never walk away from "her" while she is still "turned on" ! :shock:
Anyway ... I think Nissan thought about this carefully, and in a good way. Annoying to us at first, but with the manual override (when we need it) it's a reasonable compromise.

GroundLoop said:
I could see that as useful. Unusual, but useful.

Alternatively, they could have a low rumbling "wubbawubba" sound in the cabin the whole time the car is on. Like my other car. :)
:lol: A nice alternative to the way a 911 driver coined it here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4389-Cost-Anxiety-not-Range?p=48807&viewfull=1#post48807
Stopped at a light, I don't feel the constant pressure of go-go-go from a rumbling block of inefficiency.

Yeah that's a Nissan thing I had to get used to in our Maxima. The automatic door locks when you hit a certain speed. Then when you park and leave the car on. You have to either manually unlock or use the unlock button. We've had the car since May and it still gets us.

garrytman said:
Yeah that's a Nissan thing I had to get used to in our Maxima. The automatic door locks when you hit a certain speed. Then when you park and leave the car on. You have to either manually unlock or use the dock unlock button. We've had the car since May and it still gets us.
In my 98 Maxima - the auto lock doesn't work most of the time. I never did figure out when it works.

Jimmydreams said:

I see it as a safety error on Nissan's part. When I want out of the car nothing should stop me. The only safety should be that the car should shut off after 5 min if I've left it on and made my exit. For the back doors they added the child lock. Good deal, smart move. For the front doors I don't mind them locking at a certain speed but Nissan, please fix the safety issue and let me pull the handle to exit at my desire without having to fiddle with some door lock first.

Malcolm :geek:

that is a bit strange. in an emergency, remembering and having to take an extra step to escape the vehicle may prove to be very inconvenient.

i can see, a reminder that the car is "on" especially since its not on in the normal sense. i have exited my Prius SEVERAL times wanting it to be off when it wasnt, but it gives me a warning beep so i am alerted to the fact that i did not turn it off.

I test drove the Volt yesterday and noticed that when the car goes into park, the doors unlock. I locked them again while still sitting in the car and noted that when you pull the handle, the door does not open. The salesman said that if you pull it again it will unlock the door, and sure enough, the second pull the door unlocked. The other option was to press the unlock button which is placed on the dash in the center console (strange place, but whatever).

Has anyone found a way to disable the auto-lock feature entirely? I know other other vehicles it's usually possible to disable, if not by the user settings then by hooking it up to the computer at the dealership.

My Leaf is in the shop now to repair a paint chip that happened during shipping (nothing major, and they're taking care of it very nicely) and I'm asking my dealer about this. I'll let people know what he says when he gets back to me.

When I turn the car off the doors unlock. Not a huge deal. The power door lock button opens the door as well.

Jimmydreams said:
mwalsh said:
Jimmydreams said:

Will do. Thanks for the info!! I'm just used to cars that automatically unlock when you open the handle. And the Leaf does that, but only if the car is off. Interesting.

My Civic Hybrid is the same way btw.

Back