Adaptive cruise control and lane guidance seem a little off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSurferDude

I have two 2020 LEAFs. The first one (Roxy) was purchased new in 2020. The second one (Orca) was purchased just recently in in 2024. Orca is a retitled vehicle which means it was in a crash where the insurance company considered it totaled, then purchased by EVRides and repaired. I was told that the air bags didn't deploy meaning the crash was not that bad.

Without the assists, Orca drives well, no shimmies, no drifting, no noises, etc. a great car. The lane guidance though, gets me a little to the left compared to Roxy. The adaptive cruise control is hard to explain. It's like the car doesn't "see" the car in front soon enough and breaks more abruptly. One time it was like it was braking, let off the brakes, then braked again.

Does this seem like something is not adjusted right?

OSD

My lane assist has always been slightly left of center. I seem to fight it to keep perfectly centered. If you have a car that is dead center, then that leads me to believe that it's adjustable and I'd love to know how. As you would too since it's off. I didn't answer your question but can add to the data.

Adaptive cruise uses radar that is behind the front bumper. It's possible in the accident that the car was in that it's now askew. Like pointing too high and doesn't "see" ahead until you're closer - or too close - to the car in front of you. Since it's behind the bumper I don't know if it can be looked at or adjusted without removing the bumper.

The stamped metal bracket holding the distance sensor attaches to the charge port supports.

The sensor and brackets can certainly be seen after removing the black plastic that resides under the front edge of the hood. (Push rivets hold it on)

It is probably easiest to adjust the metal bracket with the bumper cover removed, which is not difficult, but it is time consuming.

Attachments

• Acrobat_20240411154405.png
    Acrobat_20240411154405.png
    52 KB · Views: 1
  • inkscape_20240411155531.png
    inkscape_20240411155531.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Great post. Piece #1 in your diagram isn't hard to remove. I have removed it and honestly don't remember noticing if the radar bracket can be adjusted or bent from there, but it's far easier than removing the whole bumper.

I have two 2020 LEAFs. The first one (Roxy) was purchased new in 2020. The second one (Orca) was purchased just recently in in 2024. Orca is a retitled vehicle which means it was in a crash where the insurance company considered it totaled, then purchased by EVRides and repaired. I was told that the air bags didn't deploy meaning the crash was not that bad.

Without the assists, Orca drives well, no shimmies, no drifting, no noises, etc. a great car. The lane guidance though, gets me a little to the left compared to Roxy. The adaptive cruise control is hard to explain. It's like the car doesn't "see" the car in front soon enough and breaks more abruptly. One time it was like it was braking, let off the brakes, then braked again.

Does this seem like something is not adjusted right?

OSD
OK, I found the the problem with the adaptive/intelligent cruise control (RTFM). There are three levels of of closeness (long [3 bars] middle [2 bars] short [1 bar]) that are controlled by the "distance switch" On the 2020 LEAF it is just to the left of the cancel button of the cruise control buttons. Roxy was set to 3 and Orca 1. I set Orca to 3 and now it works just like Roxy See manual page 5-78.

Back