Can't charge, battery died when car on

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreneemt

I left my car on but in park, intending to go out later, and forgot about it. Now the battery is dead. I was able to manually open the charger port to plug it in, but it isn't charging. I believe because the battery died while the car was still on, the safety switch is keeping it from charging. But the battery is too dead for me to turn the car off.

Is there any way to get my leaf into "off" mode so I can charge it?

Welcome to the forum. Unless you were low on charge, and/or had the heater running, what you most likely have is a dead 12 volt battery. Try charging that first, with an external 12 volt charger. That may let you start the car and look at the Big Battery's charge level.

If you left the car in Ready mode, then it likely ran the traction battery down to turtle and shutdown (main DC contactor opened). Then the lights/accessories ran the 12V battery completely dead. The traction battery will not charge unless the 12V battery has sufficient charge to power the control modules and engage the main DC contactor. Therefore, you need to use a 12V booster battery or charge the 12V battery before the traction battery will charge.

Back