My car likes me too much to let me get out!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BMWs work the same way. It is a double lock arrangement on all four doors. Personally, I like it.

palmermd said:
I test drove the Volt yesterday and noticed that when the car goes into park, the doors unlock. I locked them again while still sitting in the car and noted that when you pull the handle, the door does not open. The salesman said that if you pull it again it will unlock the door, and sure enough, the second pull the door unlocked. The other option was to press the unlock button which is placed on the dash in the center console (strange place, but whatever).

EVDRIVER said:
When I turn the car off the doors unlock. Not a huge deal. The power door lock button opens the door as well.

I'm not saying it's critical, it's just an annoyance and one that if I can fix, it would be one less annoyance to deal with. Often my wife and I are putting around town (well, I guess it's not "putting" when you're electric, is it?) and will drop each other off at various places. We're used to being able to just jump out of the car, and it's annoying to have to remember the extra step. Yes, I know you can do it manually or hit the button, but I also know that it should be possible to disable this feature then I don't have to worry about it.

So, I fixed one annoyance, I went looking to fix this one...and guess what! It's EASY!

1: Close all the doors
2: Turn the car on
3: Hold the door lock button for 5 sec in the lock position within 20 seconds of turning the car on
4: the hazards will flash once

You're done! No more auto-locking!

(Courtesy of the service manual)

ALSO:

If you want to turn off the auto unlock when you turn the car off:

Do the same as above, but hold it in the unlock position for 5 seconds.

yes, its a toggle. The flashers will blink once or twice depending if you went from On to Off or Off to On.

It's page DLK 14 and 15 if you have the service manual.

Hmm, it seems the on/off can be set for both the auto-lock and the auto-unlock, but the actual behavior cannot be toggled without the consult so my previous statement about changing the auto-unlock feature was incorrect. Here is the text from the service manual. I bet you could schmooz the tech to switch the behavior though.

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK FUNCTION (LOCK OPERATION)
The interlock door lock function is the function that locks all doors linked with the vehicle speed or shift position. It has 2 types as per the following items.

Vehicle Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock
All doors are locked when the vehicle speed reaches 24 km/h (15 MPH) or more.
BCM outputs the lock signal to all door lock actuators when it detects that the power switch is turned ON, all doors are closed and the vehicle speed received from the combination meter via CAN communication becomes 24 km/h (15 MPH) or more.

P Position Interlock Door Lock
All doors are locked when shifting the selector lever from the P position to any position other than P.

BCM outputs the lock signal to all door lock actuators when it detects that the power switch is in the ON position and the shift signal received from the electric shift control module is shifted from the P position to any position other than P.

Setting change of Automatic Door Lock/Unlock Function
The lock operation setting of the automatic door lock/unlock function can be changed.

With CONSULT
The ON/OFF switching of the automatic door lock function and the type selection of the automatic door lock/
unlock function can be performed at the WORK SUPPORT setting of CONSULT.

Without CONSULT
The automatic door lock function ON/OFF can be switched by performing the following operation.
1. Close all doors (door switch OFF)
2. Power switch: OFF?ON
3. Press and hold the door lock and unlock switch for 5 seconds or more in the lock direction within 20 seconds after turning the power switch ON.
4. The switching complete when the hazard lamp blinks.

OFF -> ON : 2 blinks
ON -> OFF : 1 blink

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK FUNCTION (UNLOCK OPERATION)
The automatic door lock/unlock function is the function that unlocks all doors linked with the power switch position or shift position. It has 2 types as per the following items.

POWER OFF Interlock Door Unlock
All doors are unlocked when the power switch position is changed from ON to OFF.
BCM outputs the unlock signal to all door lock actuators when it detects that the power switch position is changed from ON to OFF.

P Position Interlock Door Unlock
All doors are unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than P to P position.
BCM outputs the unlock signal to all door lock actuators when it detects that the power switch is in the ON position and the shift signal received from electric shift control module is shifted from any position other than P to P position.

Setting change of Automatic Door Lock/Unlock Function
The unlock operation setting of the automatic door lock/unlock function can be changed.

With CONSULT
The ON/OFF switching of the automatic door lock/unlock function and the type selection of the automatic door
lock/unlock function can be performed at the WORK SUPPORT setting of CONSULT.

Without CONSULT
The automatic door lock/unlock function ON/OFF can be switched by performing the following operation.
1. Close all doors below (door switch OFF)
2. Power switch: OFF?ON
3. Press and hold the door lock and unlock switch for 5 seconds or more in the unlock direction within 20
seconds after turning the power switch position ON.
4. The switching is complete when the hazard lamp blinks.

OFF -> ON : 2 blinks
ON -> OFF : 1 blink

If you hold the lock button in park for 5 seconds while flashing the high beam 2X the doors will unlock when you are at an intersection. 2X with fog lights enables all fast food stops to unlock. Good tips.

EVDRIVER said:
If you hold the lock button in park for 5 seconds while flashing the high beam 2X the doors will unlock when you are at an intersection. 2X with fog lights enables all fast food stops to unlock. Good tips.

Don't forget about the meta programming mode - entered by putting your left foot on the gas while your right foot is on the brake, your right hand on the NAV enter button while backing at exactly 7.3 MPH - or consuming 52.7 watts of energy. When you do that the mirrors come together and you get lots of extra balls.

leafme said:
I see it as a safety error on Nissan's part. When I want out of the car nothing should stop me. The only safety should be that the car should shut off after 5 min if I've left it on and made my exit.

The car should shut off instantly the moment you touch that door handle, and the lock releases only when it stops..this is a drive-by-wire transmission, we need those safety interlocks more than ever.

Personally I like auto lock/unlock, this way I don't forget to turn off the car. Also, when you park you can bypass P by simply turning off the car which will prompt the auto unlock.

azdre said:
The auto lock/unlock toggle procedure is in the owner's manual, it was one of the first things I did.

Owners manual, or Service manual? I didn't see it in the owners manual, and turbo2ltr was referencing the Service manual (which I need to get a hold of, haven't had the chance to do so yet).

Thanks, turbo2ltr! Much appreciated! If my dealer can't figure it out, I'll forward him your info! :)

planet4ever said:
blorg said:
azdre said:
The auto lock/unlock toggle procedure is in the owner's manual, it was one of the first things I did.
Owners manual, or Service manual?
It's on page 3-5 and 3-6 in the owners manual.

Right you are! Don't know how I missed that, I remember reading that page. I must have had my "other" glasses on... :oops:

OK, I just want to clarify that I'm not QUITE as much of an idiot as I appeared to be. The OWNERS MANUAL only states how to disable the auto UNlock functionality, and does NOT explain how to disable the auto LOCK functionality. To disable the LOCKING when you go above 15 mph you have to read the SERVICE manual, not the owners manual.

However, it ends up being the same procedure, just using the lock button instead of the unlock button.

Just wanted to clear that up to save a [tiny] bit of face, and let future people know if they were like me and being a little thick-skulled.... :?

Back