Where are the used 2014's Nissan Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolshevik36

Hey guys so Im in the market for a 2013 but of course Id like to see the 2014's. Problem already 1/4 through the year and searching locally I can hardly find any 2014 Nissan Leafs. What gives? Was there a shortage or drop in sales or something?

Anyone?

A bit of everything. Sales fell, in part because lease deals got worse - 2013 was a fantastic year to lease a Leaf. Three year leases are always common, and it isn't 2017 yet. You will see many more 2014s in 2017. And some people are taking advantage of incentives to buy their 2014.

If you find a lot of 2-year-old cars available for sale, you should assume that they are unwanted for reasons that would lead most people to shy away from them. For those of us with good, solid, well-running Leafs, we plan to keep them until the battery gets dodgy or the lease expires, or maybe longer. Many who have already dumped their 2- or 3-year-old Leaf have likely done so because they got one of the many lemons that Nissan let out the door in their haste to meet demand. Used 2014s may be rare, but GOOD used 2014s are rarer still.

Another reason to hold onto a decent car is to wait for the better battery options that we've been promised. Many of us who are tired of waiting will likely 'Bolt' for another manufacturer's offering.

It's good that you asked. Keep asking until you find a good deal or decide to take a different route.

John,

There are plenty of reasons why someone would sell the leaf within a couple of years. Here are some

1. Leaf doesn't work for daily commute.
2. Need more room
3. Relocation

I don't believe that all leafs under 2 years have issues

JohnBike said:
If you find a lot of 2-year-old cars available for sale, you should assume that they are unwanted for reasons that would lead most people to shy away from them. For those of us with good, solid, well-running Leafs, we plan to keep them until the battery gets dodgy or the lease expires, or maybe longer.
Nope.

Definitely NOT me. Nissan wanted WAY too much for me to buy out my old ’13 SV w/both packages at end of 2 year lease, so I bought a cheap used ’13 SV w/premium only. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432095#p432095.

For those at end of 2-year lease, if they actually do their homework and compare the buyout price w/Nissan discounts (if any), they may find the same thing. Back around the time I was at EOL, I believe those w/low residuals like ’13 S trims had a more compelling/competitive price after Nissan/NMAC discount.

And, to top it off, I didn’t like the black interior (looks cheap to me) so I opted for a light interior on my leased ’13. I was willing to take the risk for 2 years of a hard to keep clean interior.

For my purchase, which I’d be probably keeping longer and may sell when the Leaf is no longer suitable for me (e.g. moved to where I can’t charge and changed jobs where I no longer have free/reasonably priced charging, too long a commute, etc.), I preferred black interior as dirt won’t really show up. So, that’s what I got.

That’s 1 way to “switch” interior colors. And, I didn’t feel the feel the $1K to $1.5K extra for the QC + LED package was worth it. I’ve harped on this many times here on MNL already.

I got rid of my 2013 Leaf just to take advantage of Mercedes desperation. There are a lot of valid reasons to dump a 2023 Leaf.

In my case the payoff was manageable. So far in a year and a half I still plan to ride out my current lease. The Leaf depreciation is a tough act to swallow. It does give used car buyers a very good deal.

BTW, to add to what I considered near the end of my 2-year lease on my '13 Leaf SV w/both packages, I listed what I considered at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=447070#p447070.

And, I listed what I'd be out if I'd extended to a 3rd year at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=431750#p431750. I would've likely extended to a 3rd year if the CVRP administration folks hadn't reneged on their answer to me. Saga at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=418377#p418377. (Extending for 12 more months would've been $3150. If I became eligible for $2500 CVRP due to extension, the cost would've come down to $650.)

I purchased my 2014 in 2015, it was a 1 yr lease, I paid 18k for the SL! Nice car, crappy dealership!

I'm not 100% sure about this, but it also appears that there just aren't as many 2014's. It looks like the 2014 model year wasn't made for as long as other years. If you look at 2015 models they started releasing those in the middle of 2014. I've seen manufacture dates as early as June 2014 on the 2015 models.

JohnBike said:
If you find a lot of 2-year-old cars available for sale, you should assume that they are unwanted for reasons that would lead most people to shy away from them. ...Many who have already dumped their 2- or 3-year-old Leaf have likely done so because they got one of the many lemons that Nissan let out the door in their haste to meet demand. Used 2014s may be rare, but GOOD used 2014s are rarer still.

Don't know if I can agree with that. I bought a 2014 Leaf S (man date 4/14) just off a two year lease (a Georgia car) with 21,000 miles on it and 12 bars. I paid $11250 back in October. I have put over 2,500 miles on mine since October, and no problems, other than upper strut bearings that needed replacing when I got it, and I had covered under warranty.
Many folk turn their cars in at the end of the lease because the residual is ridiculously high and they can buy an off-lease for substantially less.
I have gone 93 miles on a charge, and still had 6% SOC left. My car looks and runs like new.
2014s are available, but you have to shake the trees for them: I bought mine at a Ford dealership.

bolshevik36 said:
Hey guys so Im in the market for a 2013 but of course Id like to see the 2014's. Problem already 1/4 through the year and searching locally I can hardly find any 2014 Nissan Leafs.

Might want to post your location. I see a 2014 S with 24,000 miles I can get for $6,500 and a 2015 S with 16,000 I can get for $7,500. That is wholesale of course.

I'm in the Dallas area and I've seen a few 14's showing up on Nissan lots for under $10K. There is one I'm looking at that is a CPO 14 with 21K miles on it for $8400, so they are out there. Another local dealer which specializes in selling off lease cars has a lot full of 13's with 30K or lower miles and they are all under $9K. Now that might just be because it's Texas and everyone wants gas guzzling monster trucks ;)

I just bought a 2014 SV from a dealership in Columbus GA. Has 29k miles and paid $7700 plus fees, taxes, etc., out the door for $9k. Pick it up in a couple of days. Dealer said they had hundreds of units that were lease turn-ins. I got one of the last SV models, mostly S models left. They are selling them cheap. Also if you purchase a new Altima, Sentra, or Rogue, you get a 2014 LEAF for FREE! Check it out!

Why the desire for the 2014? Just one year newer? 2013 got all the updates that we care about I believe, especially if you shop an SV or SL

So just an update guys, I ended up picking up a 2013 S with quickcharger/6.6kw onboard.

No rims tho, or tints, and stock S receiver.

Will be modding it soon! Pics to come...

Congratulation with the car!

You can find 2013 Leaf made in December 2013, like this one: http://mmsc400.manheim.com/MABEL/ECR2I.PGM?CLIENT=SIMUC&CONFIGID=BUYER&ECRTYPE=**&SAUCI=RAA&SWO=2335806#
You can find 2015 Leaf made in April 2014: http://mmsc400.manheim.com/MABEL/ECR2I.PGM?CLIENT=SIMUC&CONFIGID=BUYER&ECRTYPE=**&SAUCI=SSAA&SWO=1473130#

I guess the 2014 was made sometime between. It might be a model of 1 quarter.
I guess cars from the end of 2013 has lived the same number of summers, as the 2014. The 2013 has the same equipment, or even better, than 2014. I think there is just a small detail in difference. May be the price is the difference. I have the feeling that there are bigger differences between early and late 2013, when it comes to batteries.
The 2015 is supposed to have more tolerant battery. but I am not sure if it makes any big difference.

I have the feeling that there are bigger differences between early and late 2013, when it comes to batteries.

Leafs built before April of 2013 have batteries that degrade just as fast as the 2011-2012 cars. Those made in April 2013 or later have a better chemistry.

Back