Page 1 of 9

Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are free)

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm
by Valdemar
Has anyone on this forum already paid for the 3rd battery check out of pocket? How much was it if so?

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:46 pm
by mwalsh
Valdemar wrote:Has anyone on this forum already paid for the 3rd battery check out of pocket? How much was it if so?
Yep. It was $58. But then I used Nissan Rewards points to pay for it.

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 pm
by TomT
$57 for me...
mwalsh wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Has anyone on this forum already paid for the 3rd battery check out of pocket? How much was it if so?

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm
by Valdemar
Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm
by mwalsh
Valdemar wrote:Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.
Worth it to keep that warranty up though.

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:58 pm
by Valdemar
mwalsh wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.
Worth it to keep that warranty up though.
That's exactly my point, the warranty you won't get to benefit from in 99.9% of the cases.

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:48 pm
by kubel
mwalsh wrote:
Worth it to keep that warranty up though.
It's not really needed. Nissan can't legally void the warranty for not having it done unless they can prove that not having it done caused damage some how (which is impossible, since it's just a report- it does absolutely nothing to the battery).

If you never changed your oil on a gas car and your engine blew up, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that lack of maintenance caused the problem. They could void your warranty for not having the oil changed- which, by the way, you can have done anywhere you want (or done by yourself)- it's illegal for them to require you to get it serviced at the dealer to maintain a warranty.

But with the battery check, it has nothing to do with maintenance- it's just a data gathering tool for Nissan engineers and a way for the dealer to get you back into the service center every year so they can make some money and sell you $50 wiper blades and $30 tire rotations.

Get it done while it's free. After that, don't bother. The only real value is if you're curious to see how Nissan rates your treatment of the battery.

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 pm
by derkraut
kubel wrote:
mwalsh wrote:
Worth it to keep that warranty up though.
It's not really needed. Nissan can't legally void the warranty for not having it done unless they can prove that not having it done caused damage some how (which is impossible, since it's just a report- it does absolutely nothing to the battery).

If you never changed your oil on a gas car and your engine blew up, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that lack of maintenance caused the problem. They could void your warranty for not having the oil changed- which, by the way, you can have done anywhere you want (or done by yourself)- it's illegal for them to require you to get it serviced at the dealer to maintain a warranty.

But with the battery check, it has nothing to do with maintenance- it's just a data gathering tool for Nissan engineers and a way for the dealer to get you back into the service center every year so they can make some money and sell you $50 wiper blades and $30 tire rotations.

Get it done while it's free. After that, don't bother. The only real value is if you're curious to see how Nissan rates your treatment of the battery.
Right on Kubel....I agree 100%

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 pm
by Valdemar
^^^ OT but I think $30 for tire rotation is actually reasonable. There are shops that will do it for free, but they have a slightly different business model. As for the battery check, I couldn't agree more. I thought there was something that Nissan makes you sign at the time of purchase that they can take to court? Need to review my paperwork. The idea of paying for a bogus 5-star report taken from a prematurely degrading battery just rubs me the wrong way.

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 am
by JPVLeaf
FWIW, 3-yr battery check being done today.
$34 at Tustin Nissan (Tustin, CA).