Carwings question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garybeck

I'm using the Carwings app on my Android device.

Does anyone know if there is a way for it to report on the battery *percentage* instead of the miles (guess-o-meter).

Thanks!
gary in vermont

Hi Gary, welcome to the future. Except for CarWings, it's still using the 2G network, and then only until 12/2016. I'm happy if it runs at all.

It does not give a battery %. best you can do is estimate 8% or so for each bar.

Recommend getting LeafSpy to really know how much energy you have left at the low end.

that is crazy that carwings is using 2G. Hopefully they will offer something else when it goes away.

What is LeafSpy? a 3rd party app? Available for Android? Will it still work after Carwings goes away? I'll look for it.

thanks

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Hi Gary, welcome to the future. Except for CarWings, it's still using the 2G network, and then only until 12/2016. I'm happy if it runs at all.

It does not give a battery %. best you can do is estimate 8% or so for each bar.

Recommend getting LeafSpy to really know how much energy you have left at the low end.

garybeck said:
What is LeafSpy? a 3rd party app? Available for Android? Will it still work after Carwings goes away? I'll look for it.
LeafSpy is an app that works for Android, but it's not a CarWings type app.
It querries the Leaf using the ODB2 port (bluetooth ODB2 adapters are under $10).
It's a great app and I'd say required for any Leaf owner.. ;-) You get much better stats/battery info, etc..

But it's not a remote query status app like CarWings.

I'm hoping there will be a SIM upgrade option of some sort for the Leaf. I really like CarWings (even tho it could be a lot better). ;-)

desiv

+1 ^. LeafSpy is used in the car with an OBD, use the search function above and you'll learn all about it.

When you're cutting it close, going below LBW in VLBW and the GOM is flashing "---" is when it's really valuable. It reads out the LEAF's basic energy value, called a GID, (77.5 or 80 Whs IIRR), LBW comes at 49 GIDs remaining, VLBW at 24 GIDs, and turtle anywhere below 10 GIDs depending on your speed, hills, temp, wind, etc, etc

I average 4 m/kWh, or about 4 miles for every 12-13 GIDs, so I've got about 8 miles from LBW to VLBW, then about 4 more miles before I really worry. YMMV.

It also gives you tire pressures, battery temp and health stats, error codes, and some other stuff I haven't learned yet because I'm still using the much more basic LeafStat app for iPhone until Turbo3 finishes up LeafSpy for iOS.

LBW at 3.9kwh VLBW at 1.9kwh

turtle at .9kwh IIRC and the car turns off at .55 or so kwh.

Back