Siemens VersiCharge Problem Resolved (Updated Info)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJGuillot

I really hate posting this because I see Siemens is an advertiser at MyNissanLeaf.com, but don't purchase one of these units if you expect to get any kind of customer support from Siemens.

I've had one of these units for just a a few months now. It's been working flawlessly until this past week.

For whatever reason, it will no longer charge my Leaf. When I plug it in, the halo on the Versicharge lights up green, but the car never starts charing (no blue lights on the car, no beeps on the car, no "thunk" sound from the Versicharge). I can plug in the L1 charger that came with the car and works just fine.

I've read on the troubleshooting forums about a particular problem related to GE charging stations that caused a diode in the car's charging circuits in fail, with the odd behavior that made the GE equipment not charge, but the included L1 to work, and oddly enough, would allow a handful of other L2 chargers to work. This sounded remarkably like what was happening with my Siemens, because I was able to to L2 charging on a Blink station and the L2 chargers at Nissan worked, too.

I took the car into the Nissan dealership this afternoon to check it checked out. They did what they claim to be a test on the diode, by hooking up a multimeter on two of the pins on the L1/L2 charging port to confirm they measure a resistance in one way, but when they flip the leads on the multimeter around, on the same two pins, it then showed no resistance. I was standing next to the tech as he showed me this on the car. I have no idea if he was testing the right thing, but he went out of his way to show me. And I did see the L2 charger at Nissan work. He said, his best guess was it was the charging station at home.

OK, I was afraid to hear that, but you know, sometimes things break. So I called the Siemens phone number on the manual of the VersiCharge (800-241-4453). I was surprised to actually speak to someone since it was Saturday. She said if it was a warranty issue, I'd need to take it back to the place I bought it to get a RMA--that they didn't give them out directly. She asked where I bought it from, and I told her the HomeDepot.com website. I told her I wasn't sure if it was a warranty issue yet, as I didn't know for sure whether the unit was broken or not, and wanted to talk to someone about support and troubleshooting first before sending it in. She said the techs are only in Monday-Friday 8-5 am Eastern. I understood that, but then she said I wouldn't be allowed to talk to them anyway. That's when I started to get agitated. "Who do I talk to for support then?" And she said it would need to be who I bought it from or the electrician who installed it. I lost it at that point. I really don't see either Home Depot or the electrician having any clues about very specific vehicle charging issues like this. Nissan and Siemens are probably going to be the only organizations that have any ideas.

Anyway, just really upset Siemens won't even talk to me to troubleshoot. I'll try taking the unit to a Home Depot store and seeing if they can RMA it (even though it was a HomeDepot.com purchase). Just hate doing this when I'm not even sure if the EVSE is defective or not as it might all be a waste of time.

Do the other EVSE vendors out there (GE, ECOtality, Coulomb, Leviton, etc.) actually let customers talk to them about issues? Maybe I'm overreacting if this is standard industry practice to not talk to customers, but it sure is awful customer service in my opinion.

NOTE: Changed title of thread due to resolution of issue.

Sad, sad, sad. :( I imagine the powers-that-be @ Siemens aren't aware of the poor customer service you've received. I would call them back first thing Monday morning and ask to speak to a supervisor. But, don't lose your temper; that never helps. I've had my Blink for over 2 years now. during that time I've had to call them twice, and always received prompt, courteous service--albeit it was not on a weekend. In one instance, a technician was at my house within 3 hrs.

I've had customer service problems like this addressed when I post the story on the manufacturers' Facebook page. You may want to take the story as you wrote it on the forum and put it on the Siemens' Facebook page :)

Somewhat unrelated, but a Siemens product manager showed up on the gm-volt site asking for opinions on their product directions, specifically asking about cord length, if it was adequate and why.
I thought its odd that he would only post on the Volt site and not on this site when Volt owners are much less likely to even have a L2 charge station at home. L1 works fine for most due to the smaller charge required and only 3.3kw charger built in. The Siemens advertises here but AFAIK, not there.

I had GREAT tech support service from Schneider Electric over a highly unusual issue with my EVlink. They took care of things in the best possible way.

Kinda strange coming from someone with only 2 posts. Seems like a spam&slam thing to me :roll: but let me add this... I used to work in Siemens Medical Solutions (DX) and the other industries (IT support) for ALONG time.. over 8 year...

Anybody who's anybody in the power related fields or industries knows Siemens power stuff. No bull there. Now I don't work for them anymore (left for the school districts).. but I have their VersiCharge and it's solid as a rock and built like a tank.

And it's built in USA (with German components). not Chinese like ALMOST every other EVSE out there..

So there...
Jason

a4408eff3fea85a99dd2bcc1dc40f2b3.jpg

iluvmacs said:
I had GREAT tech support service from Schneider Electric over a highly unusual issue with my EVlink. They took care of things in the best possible way.

+1 but on getting documentation for my state level EVSE rebate; very prompt and thorough -- my EVlink I believe is the first gen as well but continues to perform without any issues, I have a neighbor who works for Siemens Industrial group and he's even mentioned that they've cut back in some areas but eventually customer service does respond, etc. but with the cutbacks it takes a bit longer. Still a very good product line. It just so happens that Schneider bought SquareD and their campus is right around the corner from where we live although this product I think came from Louisiana --- at the time I bought it (Sep/Oct 2011) it offered a reasonable EVSE from Home Depot with online discount, etc. Ours is an indoor install.

As to the comment about Siemens customer service -- something like this with relatively 'high' voltage may not have many 'consumer' or user access parts anyway so unless you're a licensed electrician I wouldn't be surprised BUT, some of these companies will dispatch someone authorized to check it out; you need to read the terms of your warranty. Some of the issues in the past with EVSE's in general had to do with them being too sensitive to changes in electrical current, etc. but at least in the poster's case it hasn't affected his car yet.

Hopefully it's simply an isolated case and can get quickly resolved --- if it was mine, I'd actually call my own licensed electrician first who installed it for me and have them call the mfg. for troubleshooting it but that's just me --- if it required a new unit he would put it in for me as well. I won't mess with stuff like this for fear of an electrical fire, etc.; it's just not worth it.

I was the original poster. Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to call Siemens back on Monday to see if I can get a different person there, though if I get the same run-around, I'll let you guys know.

Regarding the suggestion talking to an electrician and having them call Siemens, that just seems like a pointless thing to do. For one, I'll probably have to pay the electrician to have the conversation on my behalf. Secondly, if my Dell or Apple computer is having trouble charging, I expect to be able to talk to Dell or Apple directly about it, not the electrician who installed the power outlet that the computer is plugged into.

If it is really Siemens policy to not talk to end-users of their products, then I think people need to know about it. If on Monday, I find out the Saturday person at Siemens made a mistake about their policy, I'll retract my original complaint.

I did think of a way to test the EVSE to determine if it is my car or the EVSE. If I can find a nearby 2012 Leaf owner, I can try to plug the Siemens into their car. If it works, then I know it is my Leaf. If it doesn't work on their car, then I know it's the EVSE.

KillaWhat said: "If you can charge L2 with another EVSE, then it would appear to be your unit?" Normally, that would be the first thing I'd think of when dealing with technology, but I read various items on the troubleshooting forums about "diode failures" in the Leaf's charging system that allows it to charge on some L1/L2 devices but not others.

Regarding JasonA's complaining "Kinda strange coming from someone with only 2 posts"... Don't even know how to respond to that. I bought my Leaf relatively recently in December 2012. It has worked great. I don't really have the need to talk about it. I posted my original message so that others would have information about the customer service experience I had. Seems more appropriate to post it at MyNissanLeaf than Yelp. And yes, part of the reason I went with the Siemen's was due to it being built in the USA. I try to support forward-thinking American companies.

Basically the person you talked to on Saturday doesn't know what they are talking about. See this statement in the manual:

All Defective Product must be returned with a Return Merchandise Authorization Number (RMA) which customer must request from Siemens.

You definitely don't need to do a RMA with Home Depot...

Also phone support (especially getting to talk to an engineer) isn't always included with a product. Many times the only option is to mail it back to them and they'll look at it when it is received. I would expect though you'll at least have a better experience on the phone on a weekday.

Well I've been a happy Siemens Versicharge customer -- until today! When I got home this afternoon, I plugged in like I usually do and to my surprise I got the red FAULT light. :shock: This is the first problem I've had charging since the Versicharge was installed on March 19. I got the same red fault light no matter what charge rate setting I set the interior charging pot to. To verify it was the Versicharge I plugged in my trickle charger and the Leaf started charging. I then went to a local ChargePoint L2 station and successfully charged it there as well. I guess I'll be calling customer service on Monday just like BJGuillot.

BTW, if you read the reviews on Amazon most are positive but there is someone there who had the exact same problem I'm experiencing. He also did not report good service from Siemens.

Update: I've received a PM on this forum from someone at Siemens's VersiCharge product line. They gave me a different number to call (I think the guy's personal number). A key part of his message said;

"If you would have called during the week, it would have been routed correctly but it looks like the weekend team was not informed (this can happen frequently unfortunately due to the reduced staff over the weekend). Thank you for the feedback and I will be sure this is rectified."

I'll try this approach later today once I finish up a few conference calls for work and will let you guys know what I find out.

For the person who mentioned "PEBKAC", not sure if you were referring to me or to the Siemen's weekend call staff.

Update: Because of the holiday week last week, I did not get a chance to call the guy from Siemen's that PM'ed me until today. I reached out today, left a voice mail, and got a call back within an hour or so. Had a conversation with him.

He thinks because my VersiCharge is not signaling a fault light that he really thinks it is the car (despite what Nissan's tests proved), however, he does want to help troubleshoot and will be sending another VersiCharge to my house to help confirm once and for all whether it is my original VerisCharge that is at fault or if it's the car. I'll send my original unit back to them once I get the new unit so they can internally check it's diagnostics. (Unfortunately, there is no way for an end-user to run any of these diagnostics.) He isn't aware of any issue like mine specifically with the VersiCharge and the Leaf, so they definitely want to get my unit back to check the out the diagnostics.

The other suggestion he had was to confirm the power outlet the unit is plugged into is still delivering 240V instead of supplying a lower voltage for some reason. I had not tried that yet, but will try later today once I find my multimeter. In any event, will keep you guys updated.

Update 1: Called Siemens support line last Monday (7 days ago). I was surprised to receive a call back from the VersiCharge technician within a couple of hours (probably the same knowledgable gentleman BJGuillot talked to). I explained the symptoms to him ("Power Available" light is on but "Ready" light is not on. Red "Fault" light comes on as soon as I start to charge). He had me try a few things (such as unplugging the Versicharge for 30 minutes) but this did not clear the fault. He said he would send out a new unit after I emailed him proof-of-purchase. I sent him my email receipt from homedepot.com along with a short video I made demonstrating the fault occurring when I plugged the VersiCharge into my LEAF (may help them with their diagnosis). After the new unit arrives I will post another update.

BJGuillot: Is there any chance you might change the title of your post? The reason I ask is I was thinking of buying one as my next EVSE...

MikeD said:
BJGuillot: Is there any chance you might change the title of your post? The reason I ask is I was thinking of buying one as my next EVSE...
I'm wondering the same thing - if this works out, are you going to change your title?

Update 2: Received new VersiCharge unit this afternoon (Siemens promised it would arrive "within 10 days". It actually took only 7 days including the holiday). Plugged it in to my 240V outlet, plugged the spigot into my LEAF and... LEAF begins to charge successfully! :D No "fault" light. So far so good.

Next step is they will send me a return shipping label and I will send the old unit back to them. The tech said that the units store diagnostic information in their memory so hopefully they'll be able to determine what went wrong.

MikeD said:
I agree. Although I'm only a single data point, I have to give kudos to Siemens for handling my case quickly and with a minimum of fuss. I'll post an epilogue once my case is completed.

I agree, or have the mods change the title to "Issue/Problems with VersiCharge"

In any large production system, there are going to be anomalies and defects. Nothing is perfect. There are some rules to the exception like SPX that just went wrong from the start it seems.

But to come on as a new user and Spam/Blast is kinda wrong. Again, I have one, I posted the pics and it's solid.

A Tesla user is not going to go on the forum because they have a regen issue (common on the early SW/FW units) and say "Don't buy a Model S" :roll:

Back