Combined Quick Charge Port and J1772 Port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsny

Hi all

We are interested in a 2013 Leaf SV. The dealer has said that the car has the Quick Charge port. However, when looking at the car we notice that there is no port where the Quick Charge port ought to be. There is just a blank plastic empty spot where it looks like the Quick Charge port ought to be. (No mechanical stuff there whatsoever.)

The dealer has said that their mechanics say that in 2013 Nissan combined the J1772 and Quick Charge port into one spot. All while leaving the empty Quick Charge port cutout in place on the left.

Did Nissan combine the J1772 port and Quick Charge port? Would that even be possible?

Thanks!

dsny said:
Hi all

We are interested in a 2013 Leaf SV. The dealer has said that the car has the Quick Charge port. However, when looking at the car we notice that there is no port where the Quick Charge port ought to be. There is just a blank plastic empty spot where it looks like the Quick Charge port ought to be. (No mechanical stuff there whatsoever.)

The dealer has said that their mechanics say that in 2013 Nissan combined the J1772 and Quick Charge port into one spot. All while leaving the empty Quick Charge port cutout in place on the left.

Did Nissan combine the J1772 port and Quick Charge port? Would that even be possible?

Thanks!
No. They are separate. The car does not have the QC port. The dealer is either flat out lying or is confusing the fact that the onboard charger increased from 3.3kw to 6.6kw (hence is quicker to charge the car than the old one) for the 2013 model year.

Not!!!! Look at the picture http://blogs.motortrend.com/nissan-leaf-energy-report-one-month-13-gallons-gas-15445.html/2011-nissan-leaf-charge-ports/#__federated=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no end to the lies that dealers will dream up!

dsny said:

Holy crap. At what point does this become illegal? I mean, there has to be a line somewhere where this becomes fraud, right?

Indeed, crazy lies!

I have a '13 with quick charge port + LED and premium packages. CHAdeMO is most definitely NOT combined w/the J1772 port. Mine looks like like what's shown at http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under "Charging port hatch with remote keyfob release and light, option to lock the plug in place".

You seem to be asking a lot of newbie questions, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Thanks for the replies!

cwerdna said:
What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

We are in Ithaca, NY. The car would be for daily 10-20 mile commuting. About monthly we would like to take a longer trip to surrounding areas: anywhere from 30 to 90 miles one way. Two or three times per year we would like a longer trip of about 150 miles. Right now the level 3 charger is not at any of our destinations. However, it would be a perk if it were to come to Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, or Albany, NY, in the next 1-2 years.

smkettner said:
Ask for a Level 3 Chademo port to end the confusion.

We specifically asked whether the car could get the 30-minute fast charge, if we were, for example, going to be in New York City or New Jersey. We asked for "level 3" fast charge, etc. We asked for Chademo and the salesman said "oh never heard it called that" but still insisted it had it. Of course we also could have escalated the issue by asking to see the manager or director on the issue. But being our first test drive we left it there and went home. Being that they were ready to make a deal on December 31st was making us want to "jump in" nonetheless though.

Here was our messaging prior to visiting them in person...

[x] just messaged back that he has left. Our required option is that the car must have the DC Quick Charge port for fast charging, in addition to the 6kW port. Are you aware of whether the car has this port?

Mr. [x],

The Leaf does have the quick charge port. Were there any other options necessary for you on the Leaf?

dsny said:

[x] just messaged back that he has left. Our required option is that the car must have the DC Quick Charge port for fast charging, in addition to the 6kW port. Are you aware of whether the car has this port?

Mr. [x],

The Leaf does have the quick charge port. Were there any other options necessary for you on the Leaf?
Well, that pretty much establishes the lying bit. Scumbag behavior.

Use another dealer, or tread very carefully with that one and do *not* use them for service if no other is around. The Leaf needs little actual service anyway. It should be mentioned that you are being a bit too hopeful about range. I live near Saratoga NY (Love Ithaca!) and while a QC station in Albany would help people in my area, it would be useless to you, because Albany is about 150 miles from Ithaca, and the current Leaf just can't make that trip - not even at 40MPH, especially not in less-than-level Upstate NY. Your likely range for trips, in your area, would be about 70-80 miles in Spring/Fall, maximum, and half that in cold, sub-freezing Winter weather. Summer range would depend a bit on A/C use.

Could just be plain ignorance too. I'm not in the car biz, but if a customer asks me a question that I don't know the answer too, I will tell them that straight up. And then find out the answer and get back to them.

bigrob90 said:
dsny said:

Mr. [x],

Well, that pretty much establishes the lying bit. Scumbag behavior.

dsny said:
cwerdna said:

We are in Ithaca, NY. The car would be for daily 10-20 mile commuting. About monthly we would like to take a longer trip to surrounding areas: anywhere from 30 to 90 miles one way. Two or three times per year we would like a longer trip of about 150 miles. Right now the level 3 charger is not at any of our destinations. However, it would be a perk if it were to come to Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, or Albany, NY, in the next 1-2 years.
Cool. For your daily commute, the Leaf is fine. For up to 60 miles roundtrip, assuming it's not too cold out and you're not driving too fast, you should be fine w/o charging at the stops/destinations. Beyond that, you're going to need to go even slower and/or charge at stops/destination/along the way.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should give you an idea of far you could go on a NEW battery, at a given speed (e.g. 132 miles on level ground, no HVAC usage until battery dead at 35 mph or 62 if you go 75 mph). A used Leaf will have some lost capacity and using HVAC, will sap range. EVs have almost no "free" waste heat, so even using the heater consumes power.

LeftieBiker said:
Use another dealer, or tread very carefully with that one and do *not* use them for service if no other is around. The Leaf needs little actual service anyway. It should be mentioned that you are being a bit too hopeful about range. I live near Saratoga NY (Love Ithaca!) and while a QC station in Albany would help people in my area, it would be useless to you, because Albany is about 150 miles from Ithaca, and the current Leaf just can't make that trip - not even at 40MPH, especially not in less-than-level Upstate NY. Your likely range for trips, in your area, would be about 70-80 miles in Spring/Fall, maximum, and half that in cold, sub-freezing Winter weather. Summer range would depend a bit on A/C use.

Just curious as to why cold weather makes such a large impact on range? To Syracuse on small highways you have 2700 ft. ascent, 2700 ft. descent (per http://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). So 1.5kwh-.75kwh = .75kwh, times 2.7 (per 1000 ft.) ~= 2 kwh = 1.33 fuel bars. HVAC will remove 2 bars every 2 hours driving. So 3.33 bars lost. Assuming 40mph on the trip but actually 45mph due to headwinds and stop and go. 89 to 17 (9top to 1bottom) is 72 miles. 70F to say 10F is 60F which over 4F yields 15% loss: 111 to 17 (12top to 1bottom ) is 94miles. 15% of 94 is 14 miles. 72 miles - 14 miles is 58 miles.

Versus when traveling at 70F: Going 40mph but assuming 45mph plus the -1.33 fuel bars for hills is 105 to 17 (11top to 1bottom) so 88 miles. (All of this of course assuming traveling 40mph on 50mph to 55mph small highways. :p) Anyway 58 is 66% of 88, so this would represent a difference of 34%. So... close to what you suggest. One-third less at 60F difference.

Yes a QC is Albany is useless by itself but useful with other QCs surrounding it. If there is one in Syracuse or Cortland, and Utica. And the end goal were to be say Bennington, VT... Cortland to Utica is ~75 miles, Utica to Albany is ~85 miles, Albany to Bennington is ~40 miles.

Pretty cool to see that PA has a cross-state QC setup. PA has QCs from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia with max distance between any two about 75 to 80 miles.

Simple solution.

Assuming that the Nissan dealer has a CHAdeMO charger on site, ask the salesman to demonstrate how it works :lol:

Do all 2013s have the 6.6 or just the SV or SL? I went to dealership and saw the 2015 S with just the 3.3 on the sticker

hillzofvalp said:
Do all 2013s have the 6.6 or just the SV or SL? I went to dealership and saw the 2015 S with just the 3.3 on the sticker
2013+ S trim levels only have a 3.3 kW (or 3.6 kW (long story)) OBC standard. If you want the 6 kW OBC on S, you need to get the "charge package", which also adds a CHAdeMO inlet.

2013+ S trim with NO CHAdeMO inlet == 3.3 kW OBC
2013+ S trim WITH CHAdeMO inlet == 6 kW OBC

2013+ SV and SL come w/6 kW OBC and are unrelated to whether they have the CHAdeMO inlet.

Back