Combined Quick Charge Port and J1772 Port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
hillzofvalp said:
Do all 2013s have the 6.6 or just the SV or SL? I went to dealership and saw the 2015 S with just the 3.3 on the sticker
2013+ S trim levels only have a 3.3 kW (or 3.6 kW (long story)) OBC standard. If you want the 6 kW OBC on S, you need to get the "charge package", which also adds a CHAdeMO inlet.

2013+ S trim with NO CHAdeMO inlet == 3.3 kW OBC
2013+ S trim WITH CHAdeMO inlet == 6 kW OBC

2013+ SV and SL come w/6 kW OBC and are unrelated to whether they have the CHAdeMO inlet.

Keep in mind, though, that QC can't be added to a given car. You have to order a car with factory-installed QC.

Yes, a network of QC stations would be very helpful (although not to me - no QC) but NY is really dragging its feet. The Thruway Authority is sitting on QC plans, and a dealer in Albany (Destination Nissan) actually had a permit request for a QC station denied.

LeftieBiker said:
NY is really dragging its feet. The Thruway Authority is sitting on QC plans, and a dealer in Albany (Destination Nissan) actually had a permit request for a QC station denied.

I apologize for my faux pas. Looked up Ithaca on Plugshare and was amazed to find that the nearest QC station was in Schenectady. What is Cornell doing? Even some Cal State colleges have QC chargers in their parking lots!!

My local Nissan dealer in Bakersfield (not a true hotbed of EV activity) has a QC in its lot.

Mea culpa! Mea culpa.

That would be a Tesla supercharger (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It appears the only QCs in NY are within a 60-mile radius of NYC.

Neither of the colleges currently offer level 2 or residential charging on plugshare.

http://www.sustainablecampus.cornell.edu/initiatives/greening-the-fleet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next Steps

• Continue tracking changes in technology and fuel options to further enhance fuel efficiency of the campus fleet.
  • Study the feasibility of installing more EV charging stations at optimal locations (Cornell currently has 3 EV charging sites on campus).

http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/parking/campusparking/parkingfaq.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where can I charge my electric vehicle?

An electric vehicle charging station is available on the third level of the Forest Home parking garage, which is restricted to L and J permit holders 7:30 am to 5 pm weekdays; the garage is open to everyone after 5 pm and weekends.

You must use your Cornell photo ID to unlock the plug and initiate charging. There are two spaces adjacent to the station; the charger can accommodate one vehicle at a time. Please be respectful of other users and unplug your vehicle as soon as it has completed charging, if possible. If you have questions about using the EV charger, please contact Fleet Services.

LeftieBiker said:
Most unimpressive!

Indeed!

Using PlugShare's website it is kind of neat to track down the EV charging network available from local colleges and universities. Cornell may have a few but they are not listed on PlugShare. A portion of a letter to the editor of Cornell's student newspaper the Cornell Daily Sun:

For a bit of reference on the charging infrastructure of local colleges and universities: Using the same PlugShare website, Ithaca College, TC3, SUNY Cortland, Elmira College, Wells College, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, Le Moyne College, and Finger Lakes Community College also appear to follow suit in not having public charging stations on their respective campuses.

Binghamton University has one charging station in a pay to park garage, that is apparently only available during off-hours by contacting campus police; Hobart and William Smith Colleges list a free charging station on a campus lot; RIT shows one public charging station availabe 24/7 with at least a visitor pass required; Onondaga Community College has one available in a visitor lot; SUNY's University at Buffalo shows three stations shared between two campuses.

Another quick question. For 6kw models, on the dash it shows three recharge times: 240v 6kw, 240v 3kw, and 120v. This seems to be showing in a number of models, that the 6kw and 3kw times are the same. Say, 1:30 for 6kw and 3kw and 2:00 for 120v. Is this correct? Wouldn't it be something like 0:45 for 6kw, versus 1:30 and 2:00?

Also there is another SV Leaf nearby that has the 240v 6kw, 240v 3kw, and 120v, but then it says "To 80% charge" rather than "To 100% charge." The dealer could not explain why it would only charge to 80%. :?:

EDIT: Okay, this post /viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16308&start=0#p360348 explains that "to 80%" is just a setting. :)

The charge time estimator is always wrong, sometimes a bit but usually by a lot. There is speculation that it is estimating based on the lower Japanese voltage, instead of the American 120/240 volts. Which raises the question in my mind: is it more accurate with the 208 volt commercial charging setups here...?

dsny said:
Another quick question. For 6kw models, on the dash it shows three recharge times: 240v 6kw, 240v 3kw, and 120v. This seems to be showing in a number of models, that the 6kw and 3kw times are the same. Say, 1:30 for 6kw and 3kw and 2:00 for 120v. Is this correct? Wouldn't it be something like 0:45 for 6kw, versus 1:30 and 2:00?

Also there is another SV Leaf nearby that has the 240v 6kw, 240v 3kw, and 120v, but then it says "To 80% charge" rather than "To 100% charge." The dealer could not explain why it would only charge to 80%. :?:

EDIT: Okay, this post /viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16308&start=0#p360348 explains that "to 80%" is just a setting. :)
Ok. It's a long story. First off, the time estimates are usually off, usually pessimistic (e.g. if it says it'll take 5 hours, it'll be done in 4 or so, even at 208 volts.) It seems like the fuller the battery, the more accurate the 6 kW estimate is, until a certain point.

No, 0:45, 1:30 and 2:00 wouldn't necessarily be right...

Nissan has been sloppy in how they labeled the OBC wattage (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=295770#p295770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I've observed '11 and '12 Leafs pulling ~3.8 kW out of the wall out of the 208 volt EVSE L2 30 amp EVSEs at work. Those have a "3.3 kW" OBC. I believe 3.3 kW is the max that can make it to the battery on that OBC. (Side note: Chevy Volts w/their 3.3 kW OBCs only pull ~3.1 kW out of the same EVSEs, also at 208 volts, but I digress.)

My '13 Leaf SV w/"6.6 kW" OBC pulls about 5.7 to 6.0 kW at 208 volts (our EVSEs at work don't run at 240 volts). I believe on a 240 volt EVSE, 6.0 kW would be the max that would make it to the battery.

When charging to 100%, as the battery nears full, it tapers and does usually 3 bounces at the end, see graph at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=338038#p338038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (taken by someone else on a 240 volt EVSE, hence the higher wattage than me). The last hour or so are at a reduced rate, bounces included. This is why the estimates for 3 kW, 6 KW and 120 volts aren't that far apart, when near full.

If you charge only to 80%, the power is cut abruptly and there's no taper nor bounces. I've confirmed both behaviors many times via Chargepoint's graphs w/my Leaf.

The estimates (6 kW, 3 kW, 120 volts) ARE very far apart, esp. for 120 volts (can only draw 1.44 kW w/the stock 12 amp EVSE) when the battery is low. Side note: I did hit the bug at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. But that's moot now as '14+ Leafs no longer even have that 80% charge setting.

dsny said:
Yes a QC is Albany is useless by itself but useful with other QCs surrounding it. If there is one in Syracuse or Cortland, and Utica. And the end goal were to be say Bennington, VT... Cortland to Utica is ~75 miles, Utica to Albany is ~85 miles, Albany to Bennington is ~40 miles.

FYI: I would never purchase a Leaf with the hope that more L3 chargers are going to be put in place to allow me to make longer trips. After 3+ years of ownership, there is still only ONE L3 charger within 100 miles of me, and that one is presently out of order. In most states there seems to be no rush to build an electric highway, so don't think your Leaf will ever become a mini-Tesla able to cruise the interstates coast-to-coast. :cry: The Leaf in its present form was intended to be a short to midrange commuter car, nothing more.

^^^
Agree completely. Even if there are a bunch nearby, it doesn't mean that they'll be reliable, stay working and be reasonably priced.

http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is pricey as is Blink with their DC FCs being $0.59 (!)/kWh for Blink members in my area. At the latter price, if I only achieved a lousy 40 mpg in my Prius, gas would need to be past $5/gallon for it to compare to paying Blink fees. And, I wouldn't need to deal w/an "adventure" if the DC FC is broken or ICEd, besides having to wait.

If my records are right, I last used my CHAdeMO inlet in May 2014.

keydiver said:
In most states there seems to be no rush to build an electric highway, so don't think your Leaf will ever become a mini-Tesla able to cruise the interstates coast-to-coast. :cry: The Leaf in its present form was intended to be a short to midrange commuter car, nothing more.

I have to agree. Even if the Leaf comes out with 250 mile range, it will still not be suitable for that coast to coast trip for a lot of people due to the lack of Chademo stations, and *especially* the lack of reliability of those stations. Only Tesla has the economic incentive right now to have reliable L3 charging. And I don't see that changing in the near future.

Since people seem to be sold on the idea of QC ports even in areas with no QC facilities, it can be worthwhile to bargain for cars without that port. I'm sure I got my Leaf with such a cheap lease in part because it has no QC. This despite the complete lack of QC stations in this region!

LeftieBiker said:
Since people seem to be sold on the idea of QC ports even in areas with no QC facilities, it can be worthwhile to bargain for cars without that port. I'm sure I got my Leaf with such a cheap lease in part because it has no QC. This despite the complete lack of QC stations in this region!

Knowing what I know now, I wish I had negotiated for an SV without QC at the same price that paid for the S. Would have been a better deal for me. I doubt if the QC will ever be useful to me.

LeftieBiker said:
Heh... this reminds me of some discussion on the BMW i3 Facebook group. Some folks there (some don't know the whole "plug war" and who's behind Frankenplug) seem convinced that they should pay extra for the Combo1 option (North American flavor of SAE Combo aka J1772 CCS) even though there are virtually none the the those DC FCs in the US except CA and a few in OR (try checking SAE Combo DCFC on Plugshare and compare to CHAdeMO DCFC).

It might semi-make sense if buying an i3 but if leasing outside those two states, it seems questionable. Most of them haven't experienced the "joys" of CHAdeMO high prices, unreliability, ICEing, etc.

dsny said:
The car would be for daily 10-20 mile commuting. About monthly we would like to take a longer trip to surrounding areas: anywhere from 30 to 90 miles one way. Two or three times per year we would like a longer trip of about 150 miles.
The OPs long distance trip expectations for the LEAF are completely unrealistic, even if NY starts adding lots of DCQC chargers.

TN got some as part of the EVProject.
While they were still free and after they had partially resolved their complete unreliability of the first year I took one 100 mile one way trip to Knoxville mainly to prove it could be done.
I was lucky and did make it there and back as planned.

The problem is they are too far apart, and they have no redundancy.
They are closer than the ridiculous PA plan.
The time to go from 80% to 100% is very long. For the last 5% to 10% it is quicker to use L2.
Due to that I only charged to 80% at Athens and I just barely made it to the one on the west side of Knoxville.

Even if they were spaced right to only charge to 80% and make the next one at 60 mph (TN interstate speed limit is 70), they would still need two or more to be able count on them.
And average speed for the trip would still be low.
I made the meeting I was going to at overall 39 mph speed. And battery charge was low.
There are less than 1 in 100 people (possibly 1 in 1000) with a LEAF willing to do that, and as others said now that they charge $, it is much cheaper to drive my 2009 Altima.

Even if the Gen 2 LEAF has 150 mile range it would not work well for the long trips the OP wants. Tesla S might if you had superchargers at the right spots.

If the OP requires a single vehicle to do what is outlined consider the Volt.
Great for 10 to 20 mile local all electric driving.
And can do the few long trips, although not very efficiently.

I have 2 DCFC very close to me. The one that is 3.3mi away has been out of order since September ("waiting for a part") and the one 10mi away is blocked off outside of dealer hours. I certainly thought they'd be more useful to me than they've proven out to be.

jlv said:
I have 2 DCFC very close to me. The one that is 3.3mi away has been out of order since September ("waiting for a part") and the one 10mi away is blocked off outside of dealer hours. I certainly thought they'd be more useful to me than they've proven out to be.

I think the big lesson from EVs is that charging stations are overwhelmingly money losers. Tesla absorbs the costs in order to sell cars, but the open standard of Chademo disincentivizes manufacturers of those vehicles to some extent since the other Chademo cars would be free riders.

Back