It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 211  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:15 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
Sasparilla wrote:
GM just idled the Volt plant for 5 weeks.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120302/B ... |FRONTPAGE

With sales up and the first Volts that are HOV sticker capable just getting to CA it doesn't seem to make much sense - regardless this is bad news.
Yea, I'd read that on the way home too:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/03/gm-stops-building-slow-selling-chevy-volts-for-5-weeks/1

GM sez "5 weeks" . . . to what end . . . to see how things go? Is GM expecting the average buyer to start making more money soon? What are they doing? Does anyone know what ratio of Volts sold went to actual real people, as opposed to municipalities / government agencies / company fleets / dealer to dealer sales? GM has been known to "deal from the bottom of the deck" (that's as nice as I can put it) over the decades, so I'm wondering how benign this production shut down really is. I remember when GM kept pumping out Hummers way beyond the hand full of customers ... the dealers would just rent parking lots at the local malls to store them ... so as to not look like there was a glut of 'em pouring out the dealer's nostrils. I feel bad for the many folks that'll likely be out of work for (at least) the next 5 weeks.

.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 1383
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
hill wrote:
Sasparilla wrote:
GM just idled the Volt plant for 5 weeks.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120302/B ... |FRONTPAGE

With sales up and the first Volts that are HOV sticker capable just getting to CA it doesn't seem to make much sense - regardless this is bad news.
Yea, I'd read that on the way home too:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/03/gm-stops-building-slow-selling-chevy-volts-for-5-weeks/1

GM sez "5 weeks" . . . to what end . . . to see how things go? Is GM expecting the average buyer to start making more money soon? What are they doing? Does anyone know what ratio of Volts sold went to actual real people, as opposed to municipalities / government agencies / company fleets / dealer to dealer sales? GM has been known to "deal from the bottom of the deck" (that's as nice as I can put it) over the decades, so I'm wondering how benign this production shut down really is. I remember when GM kept pumping out Hummers way beyond the hand full of customers ... the dealers would just rent parking lots at the local malls to store them ... so as to not look like there was a glut of 'em pouring out the dealer's nostrils. I feel bad for the many folks that'll likely be out of work for (at least) the next 5 weeks.

I think they just did not like the Ford Focus Electric (FFE) appearing to beat up the LEAF today with it's news so they were trying to take some of the heat off the LEAF. You're welcome. <grin>

From a GM person:
Quote:
Don't fall for the headlines - media LOVE turning this nugget into more than it is. We have plenty of Volts built and available (even though some dealers may be empty) ... the last thing you want is a saturated market - that is old school way of running a car company. We now build to meet demand. Today we did a full court press to create even more demand! I personally did 40 tv and radio interviews announcing the incentives in CA. Demand will spike! And we'll have cars available. Volt is the most important car we've ever done - no way will we back off!

_________________
My car plate: Hey... FAUQUE 2 ...OPEC | 31.0K EV miles and 80% EV usage - Sorry :(PEC
Volt = ~40 mile BEV (yea) up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG serial hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
Tesla Model X deposits - Sig:603 / Keeping the Volt too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
scottf200 wrote:
From a GM person:
Quote:
Don't fall for the headlines - media LOVE turning this nugget into more than it is. ..............snip........... Demand will spike! And we'll have cars available. Volt is the most important car we've ever done - no way will we back off!
That's good news . . . . Link?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 am
Posts: 2
Delivery Date: 19 Jul 2011
From the Facebook pages "thread" related to this topic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 am
Posts: 68
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2012
Several new blog posts:

Cost to run with my usage compared to other cars and visualization of the gallons they would burn over a year
http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2012_03_01_archive.html

My Volt MPG and Statistics: 350 MPG and Climbing
http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2012/0...tatistics.html

Practical considerations: Is the Volt right for me?
http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2012/0...olt-right.html

Follow me on twitter: @voltdriver

_________________
Visit my blog at [url]voltowner.blogspot.com[/url]
Twitter: @voltdriver
As of 9/23/13 $610 in electricity to travel 33,877 electric miles.

2012 Chevy Volt Owner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 1383
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
From Facebook Volt page: Internet Sales Specialist in San Diego, California
Quote:
We have sold 18 of the 30 we have coming in and have none on the lot. Hopefully CA has enough to sell as we are in a roll. The 0% for buyers and the addition of the HOV eligibility has created a sales frenzy. Oh and of course has well over $4.50 a gallon, too.

_________________
My car plate: Hey... FAUQUE 2 ...OPEC | 31.0K EV miles and 80% EV usage - Sorry :(PEC
Volt = ~40 mile BEV (yea) up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG serial hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
Tesla Model X deposits - Sig:603 / Keeping the Volt too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:10 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Posts: 1817
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
scottf200 wrote:
From Facebook Volt page: Internet Sales Specialist in San Diego, California
Quote:
We have sold 18 of the 30 we have coming in and have none on the lot. Hopefully CA has enough to sell as we are in a roll. The 0% for buyers and the addition of the HOV eligibility has created a sales frenzy. Oh and of course has well over $4.50 a gallon, too.
That's good news for at least ONE dealership if true. But evidently it doesn't put a dent in the 100+ day inventory. I wonder if the "18 of the 30" are only the newer/cleaner Volts, not yet delivered - that they won't deliver until the old back log gets sold.

.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 1383
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
hill wrote:
scottf200 wrote:
From Facebook Volt page: Internet Sales Specialist in San Diego, California
Quote:
We have sold 18 of the 30 we have coming in and have none on the lot. Hopefully CA has enough to sell as we are in a roll. The 0% for buyers and the addition of the HOV eligibility has created a sales frenzy. Oh and of course has well over $4.50 a gallon, too.
That's good news for at least ONE dealership if true. But evidently it doesn't put a dent in the 100+ day inventory. I wonder if the "18 of the 30" are only the newer/cleaner Volts, not yet delivered - that they won't deliver until the old back log gets sold..

From a dealer in NY who was quite happy!
Quote:
Great News From GM...The 2012 Chevrolet Volt is being refitted to gain access to HOV lanes in NY....This will Boost Sales tremendously.....I can't wait!!!

Quote:
Gas is up to an average of 3.89 on Long Island. Consumers are beginning to get nervous and concerned. Delivered 2 Volt's yesterday. And the Beat Goes On...

_________________
My car plate: Hey... FAUQUE 2 ...OPEC | 31.0K EV miles and 80% EV usage - Sorry :(PEC
Volt = ~40 mile BEV (yea) up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG serial hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
Tesla Model X deposits - Sig:603 / Keeping the Volt too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 1363
I've been stopped by strangers a few times in the last couple of days asking about the Leaf. Gas prices definitely are on people's mind which has to be good for EVs and hybrids.

I can't blame them for wanting to equate supply with demand at their target price, but the start-stop nature of the decision suggests something is wrong with management. What did they do, look at the report from February and react? Maybe there is a reason but it seems too mercurial.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 1383
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
SanDust wrote:
I've been stopped by strangers a few times in the last couple of days asking about the Leaf. Gas prices definitely are on people's mind which has to be good for EVs and hybrids.
Notice any similarities between these two maps !?!?!?
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/OwnerMap
SanDust wrote:
I can't blame them for wanting to equate supply with demand at their target price, but the start-stop nature of the decision suggests something is wrong with management. What did they do, look at the report from February and react? Maybe there is a reason but it seems too mercurial.
They were making A LOT (4 times) more than they were selling. As well certainly they know what the order pipeline looks like. The Volt will generate some extra energy (WOT) and then shut off for a little while when traveling a modest speed (65) on the highway. Irony. Perhaps they overbuilt for CA. Wish they send quite a few just north to Canada (or overseas like the LEAF). Even with their winters the Volt works well. Of course I think they headlines would then read that with the "bailout" GM is taking the money out of the USA. There would be a negative spin. The politics of this car is the crazying thing I've ever seen by comparison to American pride and people wanting (or saying) they want American companies to be innovative and take some risk.

They also stopped the Corvette plant a few years ago when they were producing "too" many by comparison to sales.

_________________
My car plate: Hey... FAUQUE 2 ...OPEC | 31.0K EV miles and 80% EV usage - Sorry :(PEC
Volt = ~40 mile BEV (yea) up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG serial hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
Tesla Model X deposits - Sig:603 / Keeping the Volt too!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 211  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Advertise on the forum | Upgrade your account


© My Nissan Leaf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group