Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zythryn said:
In other words, the market Saleen is targeting considers range secondary to performance.
while Saleen has a very good rep for getting excellent results from their upgrades I think that their work on the Tesla leaves a lot to be desired, the bang for the buck just isn't there

Since they have not modified the motor or BMS, other than giving it better cooling, there is no real reason why range should be any lower than a stock P85 (which has the same range as any other Model S). The slightly lower gear ratio does not have the deleterious affect on mileage that the same change does on an ICE... And their improvements in aerodynamics may actually help at highway speeds...

Regardless, I'll wager that they sell every one of them that they can make...

Zythryn said:
I'm guessing anyone that wants this level of performance isn't overly concerned with range.

"The slightly lower gear ratio does not have the deleterious affect on mileage that the same change does on an ICE..."

It does have an effect, though.

Powering the Gigafactory from renewables alone:

http://www.engineering.com/ElectronicsDesign/ElectronicsDesignArticles/ArticleID/8436/Can-Tesla-Power-Its-Gigafactory-with-Renewables-Alone.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Model S has been reported to now be shipping with lane departure and speed assistance warnings as standard equipment. There have also been some reports that parking sensors may now be standard, versus an added cost option, although this hasn't been confirmed. The most recent software update supports lane departure and speed assistance warnings but the hardware for the driver assistance features is apparently not available as a retrofit. Speculation is that this is part of the ramp-up to the release of the Model X, which will have such features upon release.

Some discussion on the subject: BREAKING - New cars are shipping with lane departure warning and speed assist! - UPDATE 2 - 9/24. There is considerable complaining from those who recently got the cars without the free new features. Some suggest that Tesla should go to a fixed model year style of production, rather than the continuous improvement model that Tesla has been using.

dgpcolorado said:
Some discussion on the subject: BREAKING - New cars are shipping with lane departure warning and speed assist! - UPDATE 2 - 9/24. There is considerable complaining from those who recently got the cars without the free new features. Some suggest that Tesla should go to a fixed model year style of production, rather than the continuous improvement model that Tesla has been using.
Interesting... link is dead though.

As for fixed model year style... FWIW, some automakers have had 0.5 model year splits. Example was the 2004 and 2004.5 Nissan 350Z. (I had an 04, not an 04.5.)

References:
http://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/459615-distinguishing-difference-between-2004-and-2004-5-350z-s.html#post7821539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/find.aspx?dept_id=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you search for service manual for North America, 350Z, 2004, English.

Continuous improvement is fine. I'm sure all the Japanese automakers do it as do likely most of the rest... Slipping in/slipstreaming significant features w/o changes like price, announcement, model year (even 0.5), trim level, etc. is AFAIK not the norm in the auto industry.

cwerdna said:
As for fixed model year style... FWIW, some automakers have had 0.5 model year splits. Example was the 2004 and 2004.5 Nissan 350Z. (I had an 04, not an 04.5.)
Very much so. I had a 2001 VW Passat, and just 2 months after I bought it they introduced the 2001.5, which was substantially different (updated body styling, etc). I was just as annoyed at VW as the folks in that thread are annoyed at Tesla.

But the annoyance wasn't about the update as much as the lack of communication that an update was about to happen. And automakers don't want to tell you that ahead of time when it means they might had a harder time moving existing inventory.

Tesla to create a CPO program:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1094799_tesla-looks-to-increase-profits-with-addition-of-cpo-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Model S Achieves Euro NCAP 5-Star Safety Rating
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-achieves-euro-ncap-5star-safety-rating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We’re pleased to announce that the Tesla Model S has received a maximum-possible 5-star safety rating from the European New Car Assessment Program (Euro NCAP).

Model S is one of just a few cars to have ever achieved a 5-star safety rating from both Euro NCAP and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Additionally, Model S is the only car this year to have achieved both a 5-star Euro NCAP rating and 5 stars in every NHTSA subcategory, including frontal impact, side impact, and rollover. Only two other cars have earned the same recognition since 2011 (when NHTSA introduced its latest rating scheme).

Via ievs.com:

Tesla Reports Profit In Q3, Beating Street Estimate Of Slight Loss – More Model X Delays
http://insideevs.com/tesla-reports-q3-2014-earnings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Model X gets pushed back again, this time to Q3 2015 (I wonder if Elon ever kicks himself, or pays someone to kick him, for insisting on those doors). Jut announced Model S60D cancelled, P85 will be 'D' only. Am I the only person who thinks they just wing it much of the time?

GRA said:
Model X gets pushed back again, this time to Q3 2015 (I wonder if Elon ever kicks himself, or pays someone to kick him, for insisting on those doors). Jut announced Model S60D cancelled, P85 will be 'D' only. Am I the only person who thinks they just wing it much of the time?

So they cancelled two cars that were offered but were not being purchased by customers. I guess you can call it winging it, but to me it seems pretty smart. Offer choices and if the customers don't purchase it, stop offering. I'm not sure about the details on the X's delay, so I'm willing to hold off until I hear a more full explanation from Tesla. I'm still an investor, and I'm looking to add to my position based on all the products in the pipeline. On the delay of the X, I'd rather have them delay than put out a vehicle that will not make customers happy. Right now they have lots of happy customer with the Model S, and I'd like to see that carry into the X.

palmermd said:
GRA said:

So they cancelled two cars that were offered but were not being purchased by customers. I guess you can call it winging it, but to me it seems pretty smart. Offer choices and if the customers don't purchase it, stop offering. I'm not sure about the details on the X's delay, so I'm willing to hold off until I hear a more full explanation from Tesla. I'm still an investor, and I'm looking to add to my position based on all the products in the pipeline. On the delay of the X, I'd rather have them delay than put out a vehicle that will not make customers happy. Right now they have lots of happy customer with the Model S, and I'd like to see that carry into the X.
How do we know they weren't being purchased, when the cars were only announced less than a month ago, and aren't available yet to anyone? Nothing in the article said that was the reason, only that they wanted to reduce the number of options to make production easier.

Re the Model X, what I think they need to worry about is the Cayenne S E-Hybrid and possible other competitors from BMW and M-B. The Tesla demographic is much less green than most of the BEV demographic, and if the Model X gets delayed too far I expect Tesla to lose sales to the Cayenne. Since they need the X to pay for R&D of the Model 3, any loss of sales, especially with the high profit margins of the X, can only have a negative knock-on effect for the arrival of the Model 3. I was already counting on the Model 3 being at least a year later than Tesla's announced schedule, and if Model X sales fall below what they need it may well push things back another year, which gives the other PEV companies time to gain customers for their 2nd gen. models without competition from Tesla.

IMO they dropped the 60D to improve margins.

I'm hoping that Tesla will eventually lower prices since they are are already beating 25% their gross margin target, but that seems unlikely as long as demand out-paces supply.

Another year for Model X :( I assume that adds two+ years to the eventual Model 3....
Next it will be the Gigafactory delay.

Love Tesla but the wait is going to drive me crazy.

smkettner said:
Another year for Model X :( I assume that adds two+ years to the eventual Model 3....
I wouldn't necessarily link the Model X delay to the Model 3 - but at the same time, Tesla is well known for being very optimistic and then reality catches up and the cars are launched late.

smkettner said:
Next it will be the Gigafactory delay.
So far, they are ahead of schedule. From the Q3 report:
Together with Panasonic we are making good progress toward first cell production in 2016, slightly earlier than originally scheduled. Starting operations earlier will reduce ramp-up risks for Model 3 and provide some potential expansion capacity for Model S and Model X.

Back