Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
Another year for Model X :( I assume that adds two+ years to the eventual Model 3....
Next it will be the Gigafactory delay.

Love Tesla but the wait is going to drive me crazy.

2nd quarter they said 2Q 2015 for full Model X production. Now they have said 3Q. It's not a year it is 1-6 months depending how you interpret it.

And people, if you aren't going to believe what Tesla says then I really don't think there is any evidence a group of posters on an Internet forum can offer you.
Feel free to continue to interpret news in the worst possible way and then misrepresent it.

Seriously, "canceled two cars"?
They didn't cancel any cars, they decided to not offer some options, such as the 60kWh battery pack with AWD in order to streamline production so that they can speed production up.
Did they cancel 8 other cars because they canceled the Green and Brown colors of the 60, 85, 85D, P85D?

These reports are forward looking statements. They are all about telling investors what the company is currently planning. Believe it or not, sometimes plans change.
Tesla has, and continues to learn a ton as they are new to the automotive industry. They make changes as they learn, and sometimes we may not like those changes.

They have done a pretty damn good job so far and I see no reason to expect them to turn around and start doing a lousy one tomorrow.

no surprises here. when it comes to announcing new model delivery time frames the status quo is over promise and hope the false hype is enough to carry over to reality

Zythryn said:
smkettner said:
Another year for Model X :( I assume that adds two+ years to the eventual Model 3....

2nd quarter they said 2Q 2015 for full Model X production. Now they have said 3Q. It's not a year it is 1-6 months depending how you interpret it.

And GRA, if you aren't going to believe what Tesla says then I really don't think there is any evidence a group of posters on an Internet forum can offer you.
Feel free to continue to interpret news in the worst possible way and the. Misrepresent it.
Seriously, "canceled two cars"?
They didn't cancel any cars, they decided to not offer some options, such as the 60kWh battery pack with AWD in order to streamline production so that they can speed production up.
Did they cancel 8 other cars because they canceled the Green and Brown colors of the 60, 85, 85D, P85D?

These reports are forward looking statements. They are all about telling investors what the company is currently planning. Believe it or not, sometimes plans change.
Tesla has, and continues to learn a ton as they are new to the automotive industry. They make changes as they learn, and sometimes we may not like those changes.

They have done a pretty damn good job so far and I see no reason to expect them to turn around and start doing a lousy one tomorrow.

+1 thanks for keeping it real.

- Zythryn -

"And GRA, if you aren't going to believe what Tesla says then I really don't think there is any evidence a group of posters on an Internet forum can offer you.
Feel free to continue to interpret news in the worst possible way and then misrepresent it."

Really! Rather harsh isn't it?

lorenfb said:
- Zythryn -

"And GRA, if you aren't going to believe what Tesla says then I really don't think there is any evidence a group of posters on an Internet forum can offer you.
Feel free to continue to interpret news in the worst possible way and then misrepresent it."

You are correct, that was. GRA, please accept my sincere apology.
The line that got me, that I attributed to you was made by Palmermd and my comment should have been targeted at him.
Using the phrase "canceled cars" when it was really canceled options was just way over the top and I mistakenly attributed it to you.

Wow, they canceled the only car they make that I could possibly, with a tiny chance, think that I could one day afford.

Everyone is hot on the model III, but Tesla has over and over again shown that they are interested only in selling to the 1%. The margins are nice and high up there, and everyone loves you because in America we are all just temporarily embarrassed millionaires, destined to be a customer shortly!

pkulak said:
Wow, they canceled the only car they make that I could possibly, with a tiny chance, think that I could one day afford.
No, they didn't cancel the 60 kwh rear wheel drive model (the cheapest). They canceled the 60 kwh all wheel drive model (would have been next cheapest).

pkulak said:
...Tesla has over and over again shown that they are interested only in selling to the 1%. The margins are nice and high up there...
Remember, Tesla is still trying to gain a foothold in the market, and are one big misstep away from going out of business (re: Fiskar, Coda). They've done everything right so far, but they need to concentrate on the high-end first to make money. Try not to be so harsh towards them. It's going to take quite a while for them to build up cash reserves and reputation enough to sell lower-priced cars to the rest of us peons. ;)

Zythryn said:
The line that got me, that I attributed to you was made by Palmermd and my comment should have been targeted at him.
Using the phrase "canceled cars" when it was really canceled options was just way over the top and I mistakenly attributed it to you.

Um what do you mean? I did not create the comment, I was responding to GRA. I realize that they did not cancel any cars. They removed options, and I'm willing to bet anyone who did order the 60D will get one delivered, but it is no longer available, just like the two color choices, anyone who has one on order will receive it and nobody can order that in the future. You correctly pointed out the person who was saying that Tesla was cancelling cars (it was not me).

palmermd said:
GRA said:
Model X gets pushed back again, this time to Q3 2015 (I wonder if Elon ever kicks himself, or pays someone to kick him, for insisting on those doors). Jut announced Model S60D cancelled, P85 will be 'D' only. Am I the only person who thinks they just wing it much of the time?

So they cancelled two cars that were offered but were not being purchased by customers...

Palmermd, my response was an overreaction period.
The first line of your response to GRA is listed above. After reading all the other belly aching and complaining and outright misstated or incorrect facts (such as the canceling of the 60 kWh battery pack just a few posts up) I just got tunnel vision and blew up at what I saw as the latest incorrect fact.

I appologize for my overreaction, but would ask that you not state that Tesla is canceling "cars" when they are deciding not to offer certain options anymore. It leads to people making exactly the incorrect assumptions corrected above about the 60 being canceled.

pkulak said:

Everyone is hot on the model III, but Tesla has over and over again shown that they are interested only in selling to the 1%. The margins are nice and high up there, and everyone loves you because in America we are all just temporarily embarrassed millionaires, destined to be a customer shortly!

As already noted, they didn't cancle the base model.

Second, I know it is convenient to stereotype, however to be accurate, Tesla is selling to the 15%, not 1%. I also know a lot of people that have stretched to be able to attain a Tesla and have found it quite possible to afford (mainly people that drive a lot of miles every year).

Zythryn said:
palmermd said:
GRA said:
Model X gets pushed back again, this time to Q3 2015 (I wonder if Elon ever kicks himself, or pays someone to kick him, for insisting on those doors). Jut announced Model S60D cancelled, P85 will be 'D' only. Am I the only person who thinks they just wing it much of the time?

So they cancelled two cars that were offered but were not being purchased by customers...

Palmermd, my response was an overreaction period.
The first line of your response to GRA is listed above. After reading all the other belly aching and complaining and outright misstated or incorrect facts (such as the canceling of the 60 kWh battery pack just a few posts up) I just got tunnel vision and blew up at what I saw as the latest incorrect fact.

I appologize for my overreaction, but would ask that you not state that Tesla is canceling "cars" when they are deciding not to offer certain options anymore. It leads to people making exactly the incorrect assumptions corrected above about the 60 being canceled.

You took that out of context. Read what he wrote first, and you can see that I just said exactly what he was saying...trying to be nice and not be argumentative. I definitely understand he did not cancel anything. I was just using his words to be less combative. I'm sorry if you thought it meant something different. After re-reading I can see how it can be interpreted that way. That is the problem with these internet discussions. Without looking someone in the eye and also hearing their tone, it is very easy to misinterpret. Anyhow, Tesla and the Model S are doing just fine, and the few people who like to complain here in this thread about the pricing and options and delays are not going to hurt the company in any way. They do have a master plan, and they are still going in the right direction, all we see here are minor course corrections to stay on course that are meaningless in the big picture.

Another model X delay reinforces the eye-rolling reaction whenever someone says "why would anyone get a <fill in the blank> when the model 3 is just around the corner". 2016 will be the year of the X. Model 3 is probably 2019 or 2020.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Another model X delay reinforces the eye-rolling reaction whenever someone says "why would anyone get a <fill in the blank> when the model 3 is just around the corner". 2016 will be the year of the X. Model 3 is probably 2019 or 2020.

Delays are always possible, especially with projects of that size.
Until someone else puts a 150 mile EV on the road, I'll continue to look forward to the Model 3.

Zythryn said:
lorenfb said:
- Zythryn -

You are correct, that was. GRA, please accept my sincere apology.
<snip>
No worries from my end. But, let's see. Tesla announced less than 1 month ago that the price of the 'D' option would be $4k, and then, what, less than two months before the first car will be delivered, they not only announce that they've changed their mind on offering a 60D, but also that the 'D' option will cost not $4k but $5k, a 25% increase in 27 days (Oct. 9th - Nov. 5th). I could see this price change if they had said they thought it would be 'about $4k' a year ago, but this close to delivery? If that isn't winging it, I don't know what is - makes them look like amateurs. They can and should do better (and usually have).

Oh, and it looks like Elon really needs to take some time off - he looked pale, pouchy and generally not healthy in that video interview. I know they said he had a cold or something and was tired and maybe that's true, but they really can't afford to lose him at this stage. I'm amazed that he's kept going at the pace he has this long, considering his responsibilities at both Tesla and SpaceX.

Zythryn said:
smkettner said:

Remind me when was the original original production estimate of the X when first announced?

smkettner said:
Zythryn said:
smkettner said:

Remind me when was the original original production estimate of the X when first announced?
A Wikipedia reference pointed me to http://insideevs.com/tesla-delays-model-x-production-to-late-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

There are some typos there, but from the video clip there, around the 24 min mark (from a Feb 2012 unveiling), "we'll start production towards the end of next year... bulk production will start in 2014". The next year refers to 2013.

Kinda bummed about them dropping the 60D. That was the one I wanted. :(

I live with like 16kWh these days. I seriously don't need 85. I understand their reasoning though.

JeremyW said:
Kinda bummed about them dropping the 60D. That was the one I wanted. :(

I live with like 16kWh these days. I seriously don't need 85. I understand their reasoning though.

Same here. The 60D pack is 2.5X the Leaf pack when new, so is more than adequate for my needs. My Tesla salesman hasn't even responded to my email about what is going to happen to my 60D order.
I think instead I will wait until next year, and pick up a cheap used MS with Autopilot. I'm expecting quite a price drop in used Model S cars, once people start taking delivery of their new D models. The number of S models on eBay has gone from 7 to 42 and now 53, just in the past 3 weeks.

Zythryn said:
Delays are always possible, especially with projects of that size.
Until someone else puts a 150 mile EV on the road, I'll continue to look forward to the Model 3.
Even if someone puts a 150 mile EV on the road I will also look forward to the Model 3, whenever it arrives. Without a range around 200 miles plus Supercharger capability an EV with double the LEAF range has little additional utility for me since it can't be used for interstate travel. If I have to wait until 2019, so be it. My LEAF will suffice for local driving until then.

Back