Your Driving Experience Blog!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaslessInSeattle

I'm starting this as a simple general thread for those who want to share about the random day to day experience as they get to know the ins and outs of daily Leaf use. I'll approach it as a users blog.

here's what I've got so far. yesterday my wife and I got back from a vacation and finally had a chance to put some more miles on our Leaf. At first we figured the car would not be the family car, but more a single person second car for errands, we have a Hybrid Highlander for the two kids car seats and the required driver's leg room. Well, we've become so addicted to the experience of driving electric that today we decided to cram both car seats into the leaf and use it for everything to see if it could be our primary vehicle. This is no small feat for us, we are both 6'3". We were surprised to find that it was manageable to have both car seats and both of us in the car. It's a bit scrunched for us even with the seats back all the way, but the car seats fit in without having to move the seats up, so we went for it. We went out to breakfast in Freemont, visited a friend in West Seattle. I dropped off my wife in north Seattle for a cooking class and took the kids home to shoreline for naps, leaving the Leaf plugged in for 4 hours at home with the L1 trickle charger, then picked her up from the class, drove and got some take out and headed down to Golden Gardens to watch the sun set with the family, then headed home. When we got home there was 16 miles of range left, we began the day with 85. It was a coldish day, requiring heating and fan to defog the windshield, stereo and lights were on with wipers going most of the time. I didn't note the exact start odometer reading but we did get substantially less than the 85 mile range due to heavy power use. Having the car full of two adults and two children probably lowered the range as well.

My initial thought is wow, it kind of worked! We got to do what we wanted to and made it home with some spare change. I can see though that it's going to be tricky to truly rely on this as our primary around town car without having the L2 charger installed. As I've been watching the charging times recalibrate on the dash, it's sunk in a bit more that the difference between 120 and 240 is not times two, but rather closer to a multiple of three in terms of difference in time required for a full charge. Being spontaneous will be harder if we try and rely entirely on the L1 trickle charger. It also dawned on me that in this cold rainy climate (sorry Seattleites it does seem like climate change is sending us more rain and cold) that we will average a limited range due to heavy power usage for heating, lights and defrost/fan.

After dropping the family off at the house, I decided to run the battery down, like I've read about to get a first hand experience of what to expect if I get into a low battery situation unexpectedly, so I went back out on the highway for a bit and then drove circles around in the neighborhood as the range winded down. Eventually the low battery warning came on and it started ticking down the last 6 miles or so. With just under 3 miles it stopped listing the miles and sent out another audible warning that the car needed charging. After another hill or two, the turtle light came on and I barely made it up the last hill to get it back in the garage. It was an interesting experience. I made a mental note that the turtle function really can't be relied on to go up steep hills for long and that I really shouldn't rely on this mode to take me very far. The car is now charging up for a trip down to Olympia tomorrow afternoon, a 60 mile high speed journey down the freeway with an overnight at a friends house charging with the L1. I may have to take it by the local dealership for a top off on the L2 charger to have a comfortable "range cushion" before beginning the journey. I'll report back on the trip when I get back.
Kind Regards,
George

The car charged on L1 overnight and got up to a 50 mile range by morning. we did quite a few errands around town then dropped the car off at the dealer for an L2 charge.

Earlier in the day I set up Carwings and added the ap to my iphone... pretty cool to be able to check the charging status from your phone. Maybe i'm easily impressed, but the ap is relatively user friendly and very helpful. It was especially helpful to be able to check charging status from home while the car was charging at the dealer. I left for Olmypia with a full charge, stating 95 miles of range. I put the cruise control on at 60 and kept climate control and radio turned off. I brought a ipod docking player along so that I had music without running down the car battery. I kept the headlights off until I got to Tacoma. I also drafted several 18 wheelers when convenient. I got to Olympia with 13 miles to spare after having gone about 72 highway milles. the little red wonder is now charging via L1 in my friends garage. To get home Tomorrow, we will need to drop the car by the local dealer who was fine with me topping off using their L2.

It is a little sobering to try and use the charging station locator to realize just how early in the game we really are... there are basically no L3 charges in the state from what I can tell and for now, dealers are just about the only option. I was told that there is an L2 charger by the waterfront in Oly, i'll check that out.

Looking forward to getting the L2 installed in our house...still waiting to hear back from the EV project people to see if we qualify for the free charger even though we've applied after purchasing the vehicle.

driving here tonight did feel like going out on a limb. heavy wind and or rain might have made the margin quite thin but I was happy to see that the headlights don't seem to take up that much juice. it is stunning to see the range drop though with climate control. I'll comment once I'm home about how things went with the dealer. curious to see if I get any attitude for bringing a car from another dealer, thought the guy on the phone when I called Oly Nissan was very inviting.

onwards,
g

i charge EXCLUSIVELY on L1 so it is doable. if you have not investigated the 240 LVSE mod,i strongly suggest doing so. this will double your charging speed for a few hundred. well worth the money.

i was one of the first to do it and did so without hesitation. the person doing is is very well known at priuschat.com as the one with the best DIY plug in Prius mod. his is better than any commercially available system so there is very little doubt that he knows what he is doing.

now, if you have concerns about what to charge with, he does have an option where he will send you the modified EVSE and you send your OEM cord back when you receive it. this way you have something to charge with.

the other thing; where are you located? a trip to Oly with an overnight charge might leave you a bit short on range if you are in the North Seattle area.

Olympia Nissan does have a charging station and a boost will help. keep in mind, that you will use more power going home than you will coming down so dont use those numbers to judge your return trip range

Isn't there a place for this sort of thing: the "Nissan Leaf Blogs"? Of course, you need to be a Forum Member, but it seems like a small price to pay if you want a central place for folks to read about your personal experiences.

Daveinoly, I will look more into the 240 LVSE mod, i'm a total noob, honestly didn't expect to get the car so fast and just haven't had a lot of time to dig around on the forums. I will probably have an L2 installed in the house soonish. Today was the last time I'll have to go to Oly in a while so most of my use will be covered by the L1.

I'm posting in blog style here because it's what people searching around can readily see. I'll probably become a member sooner or later, as I general like to support things I find useful.

Today I woke up with a 61 mile charge via L1 after 10 hours of charging. I dropped the car off at Olympia Nissan, the guys there were very gracious in allowing me to use their charger to top off for the trip home. I left it charging for 3 hours during my meeting and came back to it fully charged. Car wings gave me some crazy numbers, told me the car had a 96 mile range but would take 8hrs 10mn to finish charging... the graph showed a full charge, not sure what to make of that. I unpluged and replugged it in for another half an hour to get a little extra range, which increased the mileage guestimator from 96 to 113 miles. Then I jumped in to head back to Seattle. About 20 minutes into it I looked and the mileage had already dropped a lot, like two for every one mile driven, so I looked more closely for anything that was on that could be draining the battery. The sun was shining brightly for a change and I could barely tell that the AC was on, the car automatically turned on the AC, ack, I turned it off right away and the mileage crept back up somewhat. AC should be set to default to off upon starting the car! I drafted some Semis to try to conserve energy and make up some range. It was hard to keep a consistent speed, tried to use cruise control but the traffic slowed and sped up frequently. Then I hit a traffic jam which brought things to a crawl, that worried me a bit as I couldn't tell if the range staying roughly the same was because the battery wasn't draining or because the guestimator was recalibrating and making up for some of the loss. I really would like to have a % of battery charge indicator somewhere, though I realize that's a guesstimator as well. I was concerned that once I got back up to speed that I'd see that I had eaten up an important margin. To keep cool without using the AC I rolled the windows all the way down for a few minutes occasionally, figuring the brief added drag would be much better than climate control. As I got closer to Seattle, map quest told me I had 18 more miles to go and the range said only 17. So I got into the right lane and dropped the speed down to 52 and hit cruise control, which gave me 7 more miles of range. I went straight to the local dealer for an L2 charge when I got home, with 3 miles of range left. I knew this trip would push the limits a bit but it was nice to see it was doable in eco mode with conservative driving.

I have done quite a bit of scuba diving over the years and have gotten used to air integrated dive computers which have a similar type of guestimation calculator for how long one's air will last based on current consumption. A air integrated dive computer does still give you the actual pressure left in the tank, so over time you can develop a sense of your own about how realistic the guestimator is being. I understand well how the numbers can vacillate with changes in use patterns so this is not new to me and thankfully the mileage calculator is pretty spot on towards the end.

My conclusion from this trip is that 70ish miles is really about as far as I want to go on the highway, which is about what EPA rated the Leaf. It's clear that using accessories really has to be saved for the shorter trips where I have plenty of extra juice. I imagine that having to commute 70 miles each way a day for work would get quite tedious and only possible if there were an L2 charge at both ends. hmm, makes me think the 8 hour charge was perhaps meant to match the 8 hr work day and 8 hrs of sleep?

For some reason the charging station locator has not been able to find a station so far. I was a little puzzled to hear that there are several stations in Olympia. Maybe I don't have something set up properly.

Overall still loving the experience of driving and owning this car. It's remarkable how many people have rolled down their window at stop lights to ask us about it. The north west is hungry for a way out of the oil curse and EV is starting to get a lot of attention!

george

In the last week we have put about 400+ miles on our Leaf. This past week is more typical of our driving habits, allowing us to easily keep the car charged enough for general use using the L1 charger. I was delighted to discover an outlet in the side of our post lamp that I've never noticed, and low and behold it's on a 20 amp circuit shared only with our washing machine... bonus!!

The big news is about our discovery of WA State's Green Power Program, allowing us to purchase 100% of our energy from renewable sources including wind, bio gas, and geothermal for only 10% additional charge. a dream come true! check out my detailed post here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4041

Your utility may offer a green power option even if you do not live in WA state, some 800 across the US do! help turn the EV revolution into a Green Power Revolution, support your utilities Green Power Option if they have one!!!!

George

smooth sailing, just driving and enjoying the car.

Had an electrician come today and put a proper outlet at the base of our post light, the one that was built in had gotten a bit worked by the weather over the years. the new outlet is covered and rated for outdoors use, has a GFI. it was easy to add and not too expensive and allows us to pull up and leave the car out front during the day if we are coming and going. We also had a dedicated 120W/20A line rerouted from another spot in the house to the garage so that the line doesn't share the washing machine. All of this done without having to bust dry wall! An adequate line was identified for the 240 when I either find I qualify for the free one or have to buy it on my own. Turns out there was an old arc welder plug already in the garage and plans were made for moving things around to make the breaker box accommodate the 240 using that line. glad to know the installation will be relatively simple!!!

I am very happy to have had an electrician out to inspect everything and put in new outlets for the charging I'm doing now. I will sleep a little better knowing things are truly adequate, since one of the previous owners had done some rather creative electrical work in the past, leaving me feeling a little iffy about things.

I encourage anyone planning to use the 120 trickle charger or anyone tempted to DIY the modified chargers to make sure the outlets and circuits they are using are really up to the job. getting a qualified electrician to come and have a look over really is money well spent.

g

Getting to know the Leaf yesterday. Hit top speed, later saw the turtle, then found the battery pack bottom end. Had to hand push the car into my charger port spot.
The last end of the power came quick and the car shifted it's self out of "drive" into "N". I was unable to get it to go back into drive, even after coming to a complete stop, turning off the car power and "restarting". Good to know, but very different from the end of power on my Rav4.

GHJ.

We have had our Leaf for a month now and have over 1000 miles on it. I posted a review on my blog for those interested:
http://mybeautifulwife.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/a-new-leaf/

Here is an early post regarding EVs and ICE cars prior to delivery of the Leaf.

http://mybeautifulwife.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/my-beautiful-wife-says-charge-it-3/

thanks for posting the links! The pre-Leaf write up is especially interesting!

George

jsvette56 said:
We have had our Leaf for a month now and have over 1000 miles on it. I posted a review on my blog for those interested:
http://mybeautifulwife.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/a-new-leaf/

Here is an early post regarding EVs and ICE cars prior to delivery of the Leaf.

http://mybeautifulwife.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/my-beautiful-wife-says-charge-it-3/

We broke our first 1000 miles on our leaf yesterday with no issues to date mostly just lots of fun driving. We received notice a few days ago that our application to the EV project was accepted and today the installer came and put in the new 240 line and hooked up the Blink charger, free of charge! I was a little worried that having to have a permit (which they took care of completely) would open the door to a government inspector fining us for anything below code that the previous owner might have done, but no issue there, it was a casual and friendly inspection focused on the new installation.

This will be great, as charging with the L1 charger that came with the car made it cumbersome to be as spontaneous as we would like (charging in between errands was very slow). It took a while for the Blink installer to get the internet connection to be recognized, had to fiddle with the computer a bit but after some tweaking via the Blink help line, they did get it all sorted. After the days errands the car came back with 18 miles of range and is now charging on the new charger. I'm looking forward to those faster opportunity charges and will hopefully be able to switch to 80% charging at night soon.

After going back and forth quite a bit and reading more deeply into the battery warranty, I have concluded that Nissan would not have put that 80% recommendation in their owners manual if they didn't think it would be worth while. From what I can tell we do have access to the full 100% of the batteries capacity and from what I've read, charging Li-ion batteries to 80% or less substantially increases the cycle life of the battery. It's hard to know for sure, and likely that no one will know till there are years of user stats to crunch but since I bought the car rather than leased, I am extra motivated to retain it's resale value and overall range so I will make efforts to optimize the batteries range to be on the safer side.

All that said, I had been starting to feel a bit grim about the uncertainty of this brand new technology, mainly the battery pack. After taking stock of the whole situation, adding up the $7,500 federal tax credit, the sales tax exemption of $3,500 and the $2,000 charger I figure the risk I'm taking with the battery and it's rather nebulous warranty disclaimers is manageable. After whining a bit I came around to realize that the perks are designed to help moderate the risk of loss to early adapters like us and that I should just stop worrying so much about what may or may not happen with the batteries and just enjoy using the vehicle with some attention to optimal care. I do have to say that being able to take nearly all the funds I was giving to the petroleum industry and divert them to 100% renewable energy production through our utility (the green up program) through use of our Leaf does gives me a feeling that, while I can't put a dollar figure on, I can say gives me a deep feeling of pride and hope, and that is priceless! ... the best perk of all!!!

So, here we are, 1000 miles in, set up for L2 charging and feeling pretty darn good about the whole thing!

After just 5 days with the new L2 charger, I have to say I now understand why the L2 is recommended, as it makes refueling way faster than using the L1, and apparently is still quite gentle on the battery.

Now that we have put nearly 1,500 miles on the car, I am becoming much more relaxed about the whole thing and my cautious optimism is slowly turning into unbridled enthusiasm for this car. So many aspects of this vehicle have been incredibly well thought out.

I've never really analyzed my driving habits like this before, but now that I've had the opportunity, I'm amazed at how I drive in circles; away from the house and back to the house without actually going that far at any one time. Only a relatively minor change in habit is required to make the battery capacity a non issue, basically plugging it in whenever I return home without any particular plans of when and where I’m going next, that way it’s always ready to go. Li-ion batteries are a major step forward in battery production, they hold so much more energy and are harder to damage than previous types. This relatively new battery technology is what makes the Leaf possible. With leaving the car’s charger set to stop at 80%, the Li-ion batteries can take short fractions of a charge in any amount between 0-80%, even charging a little here and a little there with no negative effect on the battery. In fact, from what I’ve been reading, it turns out that charging in the middle two thirds of a Li-ion battery’s capacity is thought to dramatically extend it’s life, which is pretty much what I end up doing most of the time. I wish there was a better way to convey how adequate the battery capacity is in real life, but it just takes seeing it for your self to believe it.

I know from all my initial trepidation, that adopting this new technology comes with a hefty degree of transition anxiety. Simply put, our frame of reference has been gas tanks and gas stations for so long that it takes time to get used to thinking in terms of batteries and the electric outlet in one’s garage. A large gas tank is really necessitated by the inconvenience of having to go out of your way to fill it frequently, and I think that is the biggest psychological hurdle for most people thinking about buying the Leaf. It is taking me a while to get out of this mentality. That said, I do not expect to be able to drive this car from Seattle to Portland, it's just simply not designed for that, but eventually the range will increase and the network of chargers will make even long jaunts possible. I’m finding the Leaf to be a great second car. We are using it for nearly everything, reserving the gas car for the long trips.

As for the cost, charging an electric car appears to be substantially less expensive than our $4 a gallon gas, a fact that somehow seems to get lost too easily. Either I’m reading the stats on the wall unit wrong or it cost me $5 in electricity to go the distance I would have had to pay roughly $35 in gasoline to go… I’ve checked with my electric company and they have confirmed that it’s going to be surprisingly cheap. Even so, it’s so hard to believe that I’m waiting to see my electric bill before dancing a jig!

Overall, I'm no longer focusing on the car's range, but rather, simply plugging it in whenever getting the chance and hardly thinking about it otherwise. Given the opportunities to charge and how much I tend to drive (pretty average) I'm surprised to see that I can sustain more than enough range to be very comfortable and do pretty much whatever I want. Once the charging network is in place, I can see this being silly easy.

g

GaslessInSeattle said:
As for the cost, charging an electric car appears to be substantially less expensive than our $4 a gallon gas, a fact that somehow seems to get lost too easily. Either I’m reading the stats on the wall unit wrong or it cost me $5 in electricity to go the distance I would have had to pay roughly $35 in gasoline to go… I’ve checked with my electric company and they have confirmed that it’s going to be surprisingly cheap. Even so, it’s so hard to believe that I’m waiting to see my electric bill before dancing a jig!
g
$5/$35 sounds VERY plausible :p

( Even at 50mpg on a Prius ... $4/gallon ... that's 8 cents per mile. If you are paying 8 cents per kWh, then your LEAF miles/kWh is the ratio (factor of improvement) compared to the Prius. So, if you get 4 miles/kWh, the LEAF is 4x cheaper. And if it's not a Prius ... then you can roughly DOUBLE that factor. And ... I think up there you are paying even less in cents/kWh, right ? :p )

LEAFer said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
g
$5/$35 sounds VERY plausible :p

( Even at 50mpg on a Prius ... $4/gallon ... that's 8 cents per mile. If you are paying 8 cents per kWh, then your LEAF miles/kWh is the ratio (factor of improvement) compared to the Prius. So, if you get 4 miles/kWh, the LEAF is 4x cheaper. And if it's not a Prius ... then you can roughly DOUBLE that factor. And ... I think up there you are paying even less in cents/kWh, right ? :p )

I don't know if it's as mind numbing for others as it is for me to take one's electric bill and figure out what I actually pay on average per KWH but I finally buckled down, called Seattle City Lights, got transferred to conservation (the folks who will actually spend the extra time to get into the details) and we worked out the average over the last year and added the 10% overage for the 100% renewable "Green UP" program we are on. This was much faster than having to look up all the bills myself and it was helpful to have someone concur that the number was in the right ball park.

It came out to .0906 Cents/KWH. Seriously, it would take one more column in their spreadsheet to give you the average for the previous 12 months on every bill... it took me a good 45 minutes to figure out the number for just this past 12 months. I wonder if the Blink network folks realize how difficult it is to get an accurate number and I hope people are doing the work to get the actual number so that the research is accurate! I have urged the Blink Network to include a column for % of renewable energy being used, maybe even a column for PV users too.

g

GaslessInSeattle said:
It came out to .0906 Cents/KWH.

g
I think you meant "9.06 Cents/KWH" ... a little high for what I expected for your hydro-rich area.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Comparison price
Prius $38=Leaf $15.48

That is exact cost from last fillip with reduced gas prices
Some more info here would be helpful. How many miles/MPG, how many cents/kWh ?

( Our data: In the month of March we drove 2,414 totally electric miles and paid $54.61 (plus some misc taxes approx $2) on our SMUD billing for those miles. Although I should mention that this was 719kWh and an additional public charging (free) 41kWh were "tanked" during that month. Net cost: approx 2.3 cents/mile or about 7.5 cents/kWh. (This excludes household use, but includes the "free" public (away from home) charging.) )

Back