Yes "clean diesel" really is clean. (ACEEE.org)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theaveng said:
Final thought:
While EVs are obvioualy cleaner (except anywhere east of the rockies where electricity is made from coal) (then they are dirtier than a prius), they will never be able to fit my lifestlye where I hop in a car and drive 500 miles just for the hell of it. An EV would run-out-of-energy before it got even halfwy ythrough that trip. HYBRIDs are the future that 99.99% of Americans will choose as the only real, true practical replacement for pure gasoline cars.

All opf these BS where you are trying to amek me fwewelGUITL:Y because I drive a hybrid? "Oh tyou dirty fdilty polluter." Well you can take that asttitude tand shove it the same place I told the Mormons to shove their bible when they keep pounding opn my door and wastinf my time. Judgemanetal hateful people always saying "You are going to hel you filthy sinner!" You EV drivers act the same way with your "you ar efilty hybrid driving pollutign bastard.
Your hate drives people away from even considering EVs
I don't know how pointing out that diesels really aren't all that clean on the scale = people are trying to make you feel guilty. It looks to me that most of the people commenting are just not agreeing with your facts, but not criticizing you for what you choose to drive. Hell, I drive a 2002 Camry when I need to go a long distance (5-6 trips per year). It isn't a very clean vehicle, and it wastes way too much gas, but it's the best I can do right now without giving up these (cherished) trips to the wilderness. Even a Tesla model S wouldn't work if I had one, since I don't think there are many fast charging stations near Bishop or Indendence (California).

Several people have told me my insight is "dirty". I've even received some hate mail in private telling me to dump my hybrid in the nearest junkyard and get a Leaf EV or Volt EV.

As for PZEV ratings (either diesel or gasoline), VW doesn't give a damn about California's market. They don't make two different versions of their cars (one for California and one for the rest of the U.S.). In fact I'd say VW doesn't really care about any market but the European market, where they sell 5 times as many engine options for their cars. Also three additional models.

The Diesel Focus was indeed certified as a PZEV (back in 2009) but Ford changed its mind about selling it. They don't think Americans like diesel. Which is a pretty accurate assessment. Americans would rather drive a 30mpg gasoline car than a 50mpg diesel car (illogical but there it is).

BTW one of my fellow Insight owners replaced the engine with a 1.2 L TDI engine. It gets 90mpg on the highway without barely trying (the official EU rating for the 1.2L lupo was 87). And the electric assist provides great acceleration

theaveng said:
As for PZEV ratings (either diesel or gasoline), VW doesn't give a damn about California's market. They don't make two different versions of their cars (one for California and one for the rest of the U.S.). In fact I'd say VW doesn't really care about any market but the European market, where they sell 5 times as many engine options for their cars. Also three additional models.

The Diesel Focus was indeed certified as a PZEV (back in 2009) but Ford changed its mind about selling it. They don't think Americans like diesel. Which is a pretty accurate assessment. Americans would rather drive a 30mpg gasoline car than a 50mpg diesel car (illogical but there it is).
CA is the largest car market in the US. There are also over a dozen states that follow CARB emissions standards.

As for your PZEV diesel Focus claims, source? Where are these 50 mpg diesel cars now? From http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=PowerSearch&year1=2012&year2=2013&minmsrpsel=0&maxmsrpsel=0&cbftreggasoline=Regular+Gasoline&cbftmidgasoline=Midgrade+Gasoline&cbftprmgasoline=Premium+Gasoline&cbftdiesel=Diesel&cbfte85=E85&city=0&combined=45&highway=0&mpgType=0&minMPGSel=&maxMPGSel=&rowLimit=50&YearSel=2012-2013&MakeSel=&MarClassSel=&FuelTypeSel=Regular+Gasoline%2C+Midgrade+Gasoline%2C+Premium+Gasoline%2C+Diesel%2C+E85&VehTypeSel=&TranySel=&DriveTypeSel=&CylindersSel=&MpgSel=0450&sortBy=City&Units=&url=SearchServlet&opt=new&minmsrp=0&maxmsrp=0&minmpg=0&maxmpg=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which for combined mileage only lets me choose >=45 mpg, every hit that comes up isn't a diesel. I've also pointed to http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/02/the-most-fuel-efficient-cars/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; earlier. I don't see any 50 mpg (on CR's overall rating) diesels there.

theaveng said:
HYBRIDs are the future that 99.99% of Americans will choose as the only real, true practical replacement for pure gasoline cars, because they can be recharged in 5 minutes instead of 500.

Until the oil runs out.

cwerdna said:
As for your PZEV diesel Focus claims, source? Where are these 50 mpg diesel cars now?
They're in Europe where almost half of all cars sold are diesel, and Europeans like those small cars that get 50, 60, or even 70mpg (like the VW Polo).

theaveng said:
cwerdna said:
As for your PZEV diesel Focus claims, source? Where are these 50 mpg diesel cars now?
They're in Europe where almost half of all cars sold are diesel, and Europeans like those small cars that get 50, 60, or even 70mpg (like the VW Polo).
And that's on a test where the results are inflated vs. EPA tests and I wouldn't be surprised if those are using larger Imperial gallons.

Per http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates-the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates-page-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One last fuel-economy tidbit: Don’t even think of comparing EPA figures with stand­ardized fuel-economy tests from other countries because the test cycles are very different. For example, the European highway rating, called “extra urban,” is higher than the EPA’s by about 30 percent, so a rating on that cycle of, say, 60 mpg, would be closer to 40 in this country. The mainstream press, not realizing the difference, often complains that automakers refuse to bring efficient models here when, in fact, they may not be all that efficient when measured by U.S. standards.
Remember, the 50 mile per US gallon combined 2010+ Prius is rated at 76.3 mpg on the extra urban test (http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=23492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you may need to visit it twice), but that's using larger Imperial gallons.

That number is equal to 63.5 miles per US gallon, which is still rather inflated.

That same Prius earns 72.4 mpg on their combined test, again in Imperial gallons or 60.3 miles per US gallon, which is again inflated.

theaveng said:
The only reason there are so many diesel vehicles in Europe is because the taxes on gasoline are high and the taxes on diesel are low. As for your MPG claims, those are based on the very mild test cycles used in Europe. In addition, the comparative MPG claims are as much based on the fact that diesel fuel is 18% more energy dense than gasoline as they are on more efficient engines.

If you're not a fan of electric cars, natural gas is a considerably more attractive from any number of viewpoints than diesel.

I do like this!

http://www.hybridcars.com/vw-crossblue-concept-phev-diesel-revealed-at-detroit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A core issue missing on this topic is Sustainably Safe. Its not just about what's "cleaner" but what we can safely produce, emit and the planet can easily absorb and process. There will always be a (small) place for burning liquid fuels but instead of dominating transportation they will become an expensive niche product, much less toxic and synthetic or bio. We are just so incredibly upside down and out of whack with our emissions right now its hard to get oriented. Electrification WILL dominate, how its produced/stored will vary, but we are never going to live in a world where you can't have a campfire with your kids... and I really wouldn't want to.

Back