window fogging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of jury rigged solutions, someone might want to try something designed for this type of situation: http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm

I used one of their older sets to create a wiper area warmer on an old truck, it was ok, but I wasn't able to apply it very easily. Would have been a piece of cake when If I could have applied it to the windshield before it the window was installed. It seemed to work ok, but I sold the truck before I had much use of it. It looks like they have some new versions of their products, since I used them.

Has anyone tried a small 12V heater/blower like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12V-Heate ... B000IXTGHW
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-1225-1 ... B0066COASY
http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL9933-Viso ... B000BQOO6O

As I read the Amazon reviews, they seem perfect for keeping the fog off a Leaf's windshield without running the Heat/AC. Most "1 Star" reviews were complaints that it didn't put out much heat--that it didn't burn off hard frosts like a hair dryer--which I read as perfect for the Leaf, given that the Leaf really needs just the barest heat and air movement to keep fog-free.

I bought the Wagan heater 2 years ago, actually works fairly well for defogging, best if started as soon as the window starts to fog. I use a piece of rubber shelf liner
http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Premium-Non-Adhesive-Non-Slip-12-Inches/dp/B001AH8PLI/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1447937290&sr=1-6&keywords=drawer+liner

on top of the dash and set the heater on it. Doesn't slip around as I drive.

After reading the ideas on this thread, I bought the HARBORFRIEGHT model 96144, 60525, or61598, 62684. DO NOT BUY THE "HARBOFREIGHT 12v auto heater/ defroster with light". It has the heat of a matchstick, and blows almost nothing. Save the aggravation of having to return it...

powersurge said:
After reading the ideas on this thread, I bought the HARBORFRIEGHT model 96144, 60525, or61598, 62684. DO NOT BUY THE "HARBOFREIGHT 12v auto heater/ defroster with light". It has the heat of a matchstick, and blows almost nothing. Save the aggravation of having to return it...

ummm, the part numbers you posted all point to the 12 volt heater with light? I tried it and it only clears about a one square foot area of glass

nerys said:
Fog-x does not work at all so what kind of dish soap are you using?

I want to try it

Any will do, the soap reduces the surface-tension of the water. It still condenses but doesn't form the micro-droplets that result in the blurred (foggy) condition. Just avoid any that contain "lotions" and other nonsense. And be prepared to re-apply daily.

Nubo said:
nerys said:

I want to try it

Any will do, the soap reduces the surface-tension of the water. It still condenses but doesn't form the micro-droplets that result in the blurred (foggy) condition. Just avoid any that contain "lotions" and other nonsense. And be prepared to re-apply daily.

daily?? pass...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nubo said:
nerys said:

I want to try it

daily?? pass...

cleaning and polishing the glass does the same thing. this is how rain-x and fog-x works. it is not easy to apply fog-x due to the position of the glass but when applied properly, it does work fairly well. it does not prevent fog but does prevent the very heavy condensation that is difficult to clear.

Daily is BS. I put mine on 3 weeks ago and its still working very well. Maybe every few weeks, but not daily. It takes a few minutes to do, not the end of the world.

The stuff I used had to be applied daily (well each day one expected fogging)

SPIT was the best (that was its name) thick gel. extremely painstaking to apply too over 20 minutes to do.

worked fantastically. once. they you had to reapply. I get that much moisture.

tkdbrusco said:
Daily is BS. I put mine on 3 weeks ago and its still working very well. Maybe every few weeks, but not daily. It takes a few minutes to do, not the end of the world.

It depends on conditions. "Be prepared to..." doesn't mean "You will have to…".

oh don't get me wrong. if you apply it and don't need it for a week it will still be their in a week and work fine.

what I mean is once you DO use it (ie once you are in window fogging conditions) it lasts one use. one day. (it did last a whole 10 hour shift) but you could tell it was starting to wilt and the next day it was inop.

it basically makes the water "sheet" instead of "misting up" (which is what blocks your sight)

this process takes some of the stuff with it and over time (one day for me) it takes it off enough that it stops working simply because its .. not their anymore.

I had enough water coming off the windscreen that I was putting a towel up on the dash to absorb the water as it fell as I feared it might damage something!!

when it really got cold it (the water) would quite literally freeze on the inside of the windscreen.

I guess we just have a lot of moisture here or the pizza's in the car simply add a lot of moisture to the air.

also I open and close the door 50 times a day. I notice I have far less trouble with my 90 minute drive to egg harbor since its "one go" ie a constant solid trip not 50 small trips. and no pizza.

what would one order? says rear defroster. do they have a front one or is the person in the video just using rear in the front?

what about this PULSE thing? I like how fast it is. should be more power efficient.

As Nubo suggested, I have applied a generic dish liquid and it seems to have made a big difference in reducing interior fogging. As Nerys asked, the kind is Trader Joe's Diswashing Liquid, which has nonsense "Lavender and Tea Trea with essential oils" but doesn't make claims about "lotions" or leaving a residue to protect skin (which is what Nubo seems to warn against).

Just three dabs on a 1/4 sheet of paper towel folded down to make a 2"x4" applicator worked. The liquid is kind of sticky when going on, so a small sturdy applicator seemed to work better and made a small circular motion easier. Despite the small applicator covering the windshield and both side windows went pretty fast. Then I polished with a dry paper towel. So far, it seems much improved at keeping breath-fog off the windshield.

Ford had a very quick direct heating defroster all the way back in the 1970's and 80's. It used a molecule thick layer of gold on the windshield, that ran on very little power.

Back