window fogging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is the "really good stuff" for cleaning glass?

I remember I used to be able to walk into an auto store buy professional glass cleaner and it was like a laser scalpel to grime on glass.

now ANYTHING I buy don't work for jack. has there been a major change in glass cleaner formula's recently for some reason?

what is the best stuff to use to really clean glass good ?

nerys said:
what is the "really good stuff" for cleaning glass?

I remember I used to be able to walk into an auto store buy professional glass cleaner and it was like a laser scalpel to grime on glass.

now ANYTHING I buy don't work for jack. has there been a major change in glass cleaner formula's recently for some reason?

what is the best stuff to use to really clean glass good ?

Vinegar & water mix and newspaper.

I use to work at a dealership and drove deliveries for parts. I asked the auto detail guys to have some glass cleaner and rags, they told me to use the newspaper sitting there. I thought they were joking but I tried it and lint free, streak free crystal clear.

I also found out the vinegar is great for taking salt stains out of the carpet too.

I bought some of the lint free pre soaked wipes a while back because I wanted to clean it right away and it was not nearly as good and cost about 10x as much as a jug of vinegar.

Hi. I am so glad to hear other people talk about the windshield fogging problem! I have been driving for 45 years, owned more than a dozen cars, and this dumb SOB car literally enjoys fogging up all the time! I find it really wasteful that on a relatively warm day, when it is not raining, I have to use the heater or blower on the windshield just to keep the fog away. I think that for an electric car, which does not have unlimited heat like an ICE vehicle, EV makers should include front windshield wire defoggers like in the back window. This would be an efficient and needed addition to keep fogging at bay on this fog-magnet leaf car...

I agree: it is huge waste to have to run heat or a/c to control the fog. Front electric wires at the base of the windshield (under where the wipers "park" when not in use) is a time-tested solution and should have been part of the rear-and-side defrost. It probably would delever enough heat to keep the whole windshield above the dew point.

I am glad this came up too, my solution was a little different. We all know if you run the re-circulate option, you save energy on heat/AC but not having to heat/AC the outside, but as mentioned here, if you do that, the windows fog up quickly.

The best solution I've found is to put a manual block in front of the vent that brings in outside air so that when you vent fresh air, you really don't get but a tiny fraction of it. It is enough to defrost the window, but not so much that you burn a lot of extra energy trying to heat freezing outside air constantly. You can defrost a fogged window with just air ram mode (no heat or AC) but you don't want to freeze in the winter time (or melt in the summer time), so you need the HVAC to remove the moisture and control temperature.

When you press the defrost button, you'll notice it goes into an "auto" mode where it blast all the air on the front window and then does the AC or Heat based on your temperature settings. So if it is cold outside, the AC runs to remove moisture and the electric heat runs to warm up the cool air. When it is hot outside, you just get AC to remove moisture and keep the temperature down to what you set it for.

Moisture removal actually has a separate drain path, you don't have to technically be venting outside air into the cabin for this to work. Venting outside air just helps to speed up the process, but unfortunately, the Leaf can't re-circulate while on defrost. The air block mod fixes that issue, so you keep the inside car temperature to your liking, use a lot less energy, and the windows remain fog free without the need to clean, chemicals, layers, etc. The leaf has a dual defrost + floor air direction but you can't re-circulate in this mode, so you still waste extra energy when the outside temperature is very cold/hot. Another reason why I did the air dam on my system to limit how much "outside" air actually comes in.

I should probably write up a DIY for this with pictures, it would make much more sense. :mrgreen:

a picture of the size snd location of your air dam would be very helpful. I am very interested I'm a fix to the fogging problem.

has anyone else noticed a musty/moldy smell when running the defrost/defogger? It makes me wonder if there is some source/reservoir of humidity in the system (like rainwater in the air intake that puddles?) that is causing extra fogging. I once had a Honda that had a similar musty smell and it turned out that the condensate drain (that is designed to drain water from the pan under the A/C's coils) had been clogged with leaves, with the result being that there was a "rotting leaves" smell and plenty of standing water to feed it.

My windshield (2013 S) seems to be the moistest thing around--fogging more easily than any car I've ever owned. We've got to figure out why? Is it just the lack of waste heat in the heater core (and related failure to keep the dash/windsheild area dry) that's the problem or is there a source of "moist" elsewhere?

Has anyone tried a small 12V heater/blower like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12V-Heater-Swing-out-Handle/dp/B000IXTGHW
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-1225-150W-Ceramic-Heater/dp/B0066COASY
http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL9933-Visor-Mounted-Heater-Defroster/dp/B000BQOO6O

As I read the Amazon reviews, they seem perfect for keeping the fog off a Leaf's windshield without running the Heat/AC. Most "1 Star" reviews were complaints that it didn't put out much heat--that it didn't burn off hard frosts like a hair dryer--which I read as perfect for the Leaf, given that the Leaf really needs just the barest heat and air movement to keep fog-free.

If people sold 12v heater tape (such as is used to keep plumbing unfrozen or gutters clear), seems like I'd put a ribbon of that along the bottom/base of my windshield.

Or a row of these, stuck to the interior of the base of the windshield
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Adhesive-Silicone-Rubber-Heating/dp/B00XBGKK0A

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XBFYA0W/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_328_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41p1KauAemL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=1F8FVSRBWW7TS2VY6YJ3

Skinnier ones still 10w.

Only 3 inches though. Would be nice to find some 12 inch ones.

I will keep looking.

All EV's need to have direct heating windshield defrosters. They would have negligible effect on the range, like the rear window defroster. Ford made these in the 1970's and 1980's (!!) by putting a molecule thick coating of gold on the glass, and they worked very quickly. The VW e-Golf has tiny zigzag wires embedded in the glass - this is better than nothing, but they do not produce very much heat. They work for a light fogging, but struggle when there is frost; let alone ice and snow or freezing rain.

Ideally, we would have the same kind of direct heating on the side windows, to go along with the heated side mirrors.

We gotta' stop thinking that EV's are the same as ICE vehicles. Those have so much excess heat, that I think car engineers formed habits (lazy thinking?) and we need to improve this critical area for EV's - because this has such a large effect on range.

What do you guys think of this?

Ebay 271952682965

150w 1.2 meter should go clear across the botton of the windscreen (will have to measure when i get home)

Would that be enough you think? Would that help with fogging or just icing?

nerys said:
150w 1.2 meter should go clear across the botton of the windscreen (will have to measure when i get home)

Were you able to confirm the temperature set point?
Designed for wrapping diesel fuel lines to avoid cold weather problems, but I was unable to find details on thermostat or set point?

TimLee said:
nerys said:
Were you able to confirm the temperature set point?
Designed for wrapping diesel fuel lines to avoid cold weather problems, but I was unable to find details on thermostat or set point?
Looks likeKeenovo supplies a full range of similar heating elements in all shapes and sizes. A great find! Most interestingly in 0.5m, 1.0m, and 1.2m
http://www.ebay.com/sch/keenovo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

150W to 180W is about what the fan-and-blower setups promise. *IF* you could attach it to the glass with something that would allow it to conduct its heat into the glass, I'd expect it to work well for:
1) suppressing haze on most of the windshield
2) suppressing fog on the bottom half of the windshield
3) removing ice (frost) from underneath the wiper blades

Attaching it would take some thinking. to get something that gives it enough contact without insulating, and to ensure that the thermostatic sensor properly measures its effect.

OT: I'd also be tempted to install a pad under the driver's floor mat.

At some point, though, I'd expect a heat pump to be enough more efficient than a whole swarm of spot electric resistance heat that I would rather just run the heat.

But I would want to be sure I was running the heat pump. How do I do that?

Arlington said:
has anyone else noticed a musty/moldy smell when running the defrost/defogger? It makes me wonder if there is some source/reservoir of humidity in the system (like rainwater in the air intake that puddles?) that is causing extra fogging. I once had a Honda that had a similar musty smell and it turned out that the condensate drain (that is designed to drain water from the pan under the A/C's coils) had been clogged with leaves, with the result being that there was a "rotting leaves" smell and plenty of standing water to feed it.

My windshield (2013 S) seems to be the moistest thing around--fogging more easily than any car I've ever owned. We've got to figure out why? Is it just the lack of waste heat in the heater core (and related failure to keep the dash/windsheild area dry) that's the problem or is there a source of "moist" elsewhere?

this is a possible issue with many cars. What I do is about a minute before I stop, I turn off A/C and turn fan on high. This has worked for me but then again, don't know if it prevented anything since I have been using this method on all my cars for years.

I just take a little bit of dish soap and put it on a paper towel, rub it all over the front window, and then I buff it off with an old t-shirt. Pretty much the same thing as fog-x but a lot cheaper. It works really well.

Fog-x does not work at all so what kind of dish soap are you using?

I want to try it

nerys said:
Fog-x does not work at all so what kind of dish soap are you using?

I want to try it

I have no idea what kind? my wife buys the one that she likes the smell of. It has worked pretty darn well for me. Just put it on about 2 weeks ago and no issues at all.

Back