Will you hold off for rumored 2014 LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiTundra

Rumors spreading that the MY 2014 LEAF will have a bit better battery and a lower price. If you were planning a 2012 or 2013 LEAF purchase, will this cause you to wait? If you were planning a 2012 or 2013 competitor purchase will this rumor cause you to wait?

SkiTundra said:
Rumors spreading that the MY 2014 LEAF will have a bit better battery and a lower price. If you were planning a 2012 or 2013 LEAF purchase, will this cause you to wait? If you were planning a 2012 or 2013 competitor purchase will this rumor cause you to wait?
I'm waiting for a 6.6kW or better on-board charger. I'll let you know in 2013.

IF you can afford to "buy now" (many cannot) and possibly
trade up later, you will most likely experience:

1. the delightful pleasure of "quiet" cruising.
2. the discovery of your "fit" to an EV lifestyle.
3. the joy of passing gas stations.
4. more relaxation in your driving, and life.
5. the satisfaction of showing GM that they, not you, are behind the times.
6. pleasure with being able to actually demonstrate "the future" to others.
7. the learning of a new way of doing old things.
8. a fantastic satisfaction that you are NOT still "waiting".

At least, these are some of my hopes for you.
Be part of the No-Gas Revolution, don't let it pass you by.
Something this significant rarely happens in one's lifetime.

Join us ...
Sincerely, Gary

garygid said:
5. the satisfaction of showing GM that they, not you, are behind the times.
6. pleasure with being able to actually demonstrate "the future" to others.
Driving "the future" now is probably the main reason I'm not waiting. And I do get some satisfaction from helping to prove GM wrong in saying "there's no demand for electric cars". A year ago, when Nissan was preparing to deliver the first LEAFs, I wondered if the excitement I felt then would continue until the day they delivered mine, whenever that would be. I was excited to see and touch a LEAF for the first time last February at the Philadelphia Int'l Auto Show, then to drive a LEAF for the first time mid-March at the National Harbor Drive Electric event. My excitement built greatly after that, because 2 weeks later in the beginning of April, I rented the Hertz LEAF in NYC for an afternoon and about 50 miles! In July, I rented the LEAF again for 2 days and drove it to my home on the north side of Philly, talk about an exciting experience! The next few months were a little hard because Tier 2 and Tier 3 orders started, while I had to continue waiting. But my excitement ramped up again as "the end of the year" began approaching, and I managed to get my order in within hours of when Nissan opened Tier 4. Now the excitement level is as high as ever, because I know I'm in the home stretch and that I'll be driving my own LEAF every day soon!

To me, it's not about waiting for something better; it's about driving something great now (or at least ASAP).

tps said:
I managed to get my order in within hours of when Nissan opened Tier 4. Now the excitement level is as high as ever, because I know I'm in the home stretch and that I'll be driving my own LEAF every day soon!

Why have you not just bought an orphan and had it shipped.

TonyWilliams said:
Why have you not just bought an orphan and had it shipped.
At least he doesn't have too much longer to wait. There is something to be said for buying locally if you can. On the other hand, a 2011 "orphan" could have been cheaper. But maybe he'd prefer to have a 2012.

I also thought about holding out for a cheaper EV with more range, but I'm glad I decided not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Why not wait until 2015 or 2016? Silly, its not a matter of a few months so why bother waiting years, by then there may be EVs out with proper NAV units as well.

With a 2011 in the garage the next LEAF might be 2021/2026. Could be I want something closer to the Tesla model S by then.
Last two vehicles I kept 10+ years. LEAF should be no different.

EVDRIVER said:
Why not wait until 2015 or 2016? Silly, its not a matter of a few months so why bother waiting years, by then there may be EVs out with proper NAV units as well.
I certainly hope so, as I am still waiting on my Aptera order and flying car.

In answer to the OP's question: no. I had planned to wait until 2015, by which time I expected the EV options to have opened up considerably. Then I figured I'd wait until 2013 so I could get a "Tennessee LEAF". By last summer, however, I finally tired of waiting and decided to take the plunge now, for many of the reasons garygid mentioned. (I even put in solar panels more than three years ago as "phase 1" of a future EV.)

I am hopeful that the LEAF will be able to handle my long grocery shopping trips even in winter, although it isn't a big deal if it can't. I consider trying to make one work in a rural mountain area, with zero charge station infrastructure, an interesting challenge. But, for local trips it will be fine. And there is the "fun factor" to consider.

The downside of buying the current model LEAF is that it figures to have almost no resale value in a few years when models with longer range come out (and the market is flooded with off-lease cars; leasing is not cost-effective for me). So trading up to a newer version is likely to be impractical and I will be "stuck" with it for a long time. I hope the current LEAF functions well and that replacement battery packs are reasonably priced when the time comes.

Meanwhile, the dealer tells me that my LEAF is in Portland and expected to arrive at the dealership in the next few days, so I hope to be making the trip to Oregon to pick it up soon. The wait is almost over...

If I thought my current car would last until 2013, I'd consider waiting. But it's going to need a good bit of work to pass inspection again (new tires, new exhaust, new front wheel hub, new struts), so I decided to take the plunge now instead of putting any more money into this thing.

Just got to the RAQ step with my chosen dealer. Waiting for them to finish that step so I can accept and get that order in!

SkiTundra said:
My approach to this ever changing landscape is to lease the Leaf. I'm looking forward to a new EV in Feb 2014.

Not waiting. The lease will be up in three years and then they'd better have the Nismo RC waiting for me :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXjEM6BSEw[/youtube]

No, but at that point the wife's WRX will be approaching 150k miles, and probably reaching the end of its cost-effective usable life. Yay options :)

dgpcolorado said:
In answer to the OP's question: no. ... By last summer, however, I finally tired of waiting and decided to take the plunge now ...

I consider trying to make one work in a rural mountain area, with zero charge station infrastructure, an interesting challenge. ...

Meanwhile, the dealer tells me that my LEAF is in Portland and expected to arrive at the dealership in the next few days, so I hope to be making the trip to Oregon to pick it up soon. The wait is almost over...

I think you'll be very pleased overall.
I'm glad you waited for the 2012 with battery heater, though. The 2011 without battery heater doesn't work with battery temperature below -30C (-22F) as reported in recent Nissan Engineering visit.
Fortunately for me it doesn't get that cold in Tennessee very often. Something like 2 or 3 days in >30 years.
It gets colder than -22F quite a bit more often on the western slope of Colorado, right?

Back