Why are you beeping at me?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gReGsKi

Sometimes when I am getting out of the car, shut it off, open the dorr, and the darn thing starts beeping at me, and I don't know why. The headlights are not on, the parking break is on, the charger lid is closed, the windows are rolled up, I have shut it off, what could it be, why is it beeping as though it wants to tell me something.

I step out of the car shut the door and the beeping stops, help

This is when I've experienced "beeps" left the fog lights on, left the key fob inside, walked out the car while it was still on (acc or ON)

Could you be opening the door before you actually turn the car off?

In my 2011, if you open the driver's door before you turn the Leaf off, the Leaf will beep from the time you actually turn in off until you close the door.

jhm614 said:

In my 2011, if you open the driver's door before you turn the Leaf off, the Leaf will beep from the time you actually turn in off until you close the door.

Thanks, Jason. I was wondering the same thing. You've solved the riddle.

Happen to me also... Would be nice for something to be on the display about the reason for it beeping. Since the senor can tell something is wrong... Tell us in English (or the languish of your choice)

WHY !!!

Nubo said:
Is there a key fob still in the car?

Yes sir, it's usually in that center console little square valley thingie, of course otherwise it would be in my pocket, and my butt would still be in the driver's seat

billg said:
jhm614 said:

In my 2011, if you open the driver's door before you turn the Leaf off, the Leaf will beep from the time you actually turn it off until you close the door.

Thanks, Jason. I was wondering the same thing. You've solved the riddle.
A strange programming peculiarity of all Nissans as discussed previously in other threads.
I have no idea why they program it to beep just because you opened the door first.
But all Nissan vehicles do it.

I can't say much about other Nissan vehicles, but it sure makes a lot of sense in a car you can easily leave "running" without noticing.

Staque said:
I can't say much about other Nissan vehicles, but it sure makes a lot of sense in a car you can easily leave "running" without noticing.
Yes, but when you do turn the car off after opening the door, why doesn't it stop beeping? Once started, the beeping continues until you close the door.

billg said:
Yes, but when you do turn the car off after opening the door, why doesn't it stop beeping? Once started, the beeping continues until you close the door.
Yes, just like my Altima does too.

It has an even more frantic beeping that occurs if you turn it off and have failed to put it in Park.
In the LEAF it just automatically engages Park when you turn it off.

What the LEAF needs is a better warning system if driver has exited the vehicle with it still in Ready mode and failed to put it in Park, or programming that automatically puts it in Park once the drivers seat weight sensor shows there isn't a driver present.

If it had that the person that found their LEAF crashed through their fence would probably not have experienced that problem.
They likely left it in Ready parked on a slight upgrade that was enough that the vehicle didn't move and when the battery went dead the vehicle rolled down the driveway due to gravity and the slope.

If you leave the driver's seat the LEAF should go into Park automatically.

TimLee said:
billg said:

If it did that, that then what happens when when you need to jump out the car while it's moving....the car would go into park and stop abruptly and your body would slam into the door,
therefore making it too dangerous to bail out of your moving car :) As I'm sure you all know from the movies, jumping out of a moving car is always safe :)

Just playing of course. No offense Tim.

morrisdw said:
TimLee said:
billg said:

If it did that, that then what happens when when you need to jump out the car while it's moving....the car would go into park and stop abruptly and your body would slam into the door,
therefore making it too dangerous to bail out of your moving car :) As I'm sure you all know from the movies, jumping out of a moving car is always safe :)
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: ;) ;) ;)
Wow, great response.
Just love it when someone uses great humor to make my point :D :D :D :D :D :D

agreed. hilarious.

on a more serious note such a feature would be SUCH a bad idea.

SO what happens if that mechanism "fails" while your doing 55 down the highway and the car thinks you left.

ouch.

or worse you lift you rump off the seat to scratch your ass and SCREEEEEEECH 10 car pile up as your leaf goes into park :)

double ouch.

Back