Wholesale value of the 2011 Leaf @Auction March 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-12-23.jpg

ok, this matches what I've been told by other dealers. Low mileage cars (under 7000 miles) like you have shown are going for about $15k to $17k, and higher mileage cars (above 10k-12k) are going for closer to $10k.

You keep quoting the wholesale prices of used Leafs that have an average of 5000 miles on the odometer. This is not a reasonable estimate. Most owners will return a car with more mileage. How about an average for 2011's with 14,000 miles. I bet your number is closer to the $10k-$12k that I have found.

OrientExpress said:
The mileages listed are the average of actuals not estimates.
Is it possible to get a list of actual auctions for one week ? That would give a lot more information ...

EdmondLeaf said:
Wonder how prices - Auction $6,175 and Retail $7,950 for Dec 2013 are predicted?
That must be some kind of a formula - taking original price & current price into consideration. Probably won't hold good for Leaf because of tax credit. Tax credits artificially reduce the used prices as soon as the car is bought.

Miles do seem rather low for a 2011. High, Medium, Low looks very proportional to miles and could be extrapolated out a bit for 15,000 - 25,000 miles.
I still think $9,000 trade in is reasonable for a higher mileage 2011.

OrientExpress said:
The mileages listed are the average of actual not estimates.
I know. So rerun the report removing all vehicles that have extremely low mileage and only run the ones that have more than 10k miles and see what the result is. You show 62 cars with average odometer of 5000 miles. this is unrealistic for those who are selling cars. we need 30+ car average with mileage in the 14k range to give a realistic estimate of what someone with a 2011 will get when they try to trade it in. Rarely will someone who has a 2011 have only 5000 miles. These are all basically new cars....perhaps demo cars or something. The Adesa auction shows $10k for the higher mileage vehicle (but only an average of one car...so not very useful) Perhaps Manheim has more vehicles.

I just went to Cars.com and of the 237 used LEAF's the lowest price was $17,770, and most were above $19K. At least that's the advertised pricing.

JRP3 said:
I just went to Cars.com and of the 237 used LEAF's the lowest price was $17,770, and most were above $19K. At least that's the advertised pricing.
I'd imagine that most were being advertised by dealers.... and that's just the advertised price, not what they actually sold for.
QueenBee said:
If there is anyone desperate enough to be selling their used LEAF in the low teens let me know I'll buy it :)
Ditto, as long as it's not black, hasn't been in any major accidents, hasn't been totaled/have a salvage title, hasn't lost capacity bars and didn't spend any summers in a hot climate area.
OrientExpress said:
http://www.plugincars.com/used-ev-resales-values-hold-firm-deals-can-be-had-123031.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says:
The projected trade-in value of the 2011 Volt, according to the NADA guide, is $29,325—or 90 percent of its post-incentive $32,780 sticker price. For comparison, typically equipped 2011 Toyota Priuses and Civic Hybrids, have projected trade-in values of 88 percent and 76 percent respectively.

Eric Lyman, manager of automotive residual values at Automotive Leasing Guide, has a less sanguine view of EV resale values after five years. ALG, which sets values for the auto industry, puts Volt and LEAF values at 32 and 31 percent respectively, while the Toyota Prius C is set at 44 percent, and the Prius liftback is at 42 percent.

smkettner said:
Miles do seem rather low for a 2011. High, Medium, Low looks very proportional to miles and could be extrapolated out a bit for 15,000 - 25,000 miles.
KBB says my Leaf's trade in value is around $20k.

evnow said:
smkettner said:
KBB says my Leaf's trade in value is around $20k.
From my experience w/selling my own cars, I've found that KBB tends to be high and Edmunds tends to be low.

http://www.nada.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is another data point.

Surprised how low a used Leaf value has dropped. If I were to buy a Model S, which I am seriously considering, I might have to keep the Leaf because of the low resale value. I have 24000 miles on my Leaf with 12 bars still but the way things are heading, in 6 months $15k may not be achievable on the resale market. Hopefully the price will stabilize after the 2013 comes out.

ya know. a price list for some traction batteries would go a long way towards resolving this resale issue.

considering the bling on the LEAF, a used "any" car comparable would go for $15,000 so saying that the LEAF would go for less is really taking the worst case scenario epic.

The LEAF with a new battery is still a $25,000 car. so cmon Nissan, what ya got to say here?

same boat here, accept I've got a 2012 with only 12K on it. Initial attempts to sell garnered only two offers, one for 19K and one for 20K, i'll try again after the holidays. 10 months ago I got 25K in trade in for a 2011. The car is worth more than 20K to me, the trouble is that we only need two cars and one has to be all wheel drive for winter mountain driving, so with the S coming, the Leaf is the one getting the boot.

I attribute the dive in value to Nissan's ineptitude in dealing with the hot climate accelerated range loss and the way it has revealed that their battery warranty is virtually meaningless. One wonders if they can recover from this. It's started a domino effect, poor handling of the excessive range loss has lead to a leery market, leading to a glut in 2012's, delaying release of the 2013 to give time to clear out the 12's, leading to dealers dropping the price of 12's so much that the resale value is taking a serious hit, making anyone who is uncertain about keeping the car more likely to dump sooner than later. It doesn't help that in WA state, the sales tax exemption is only for new EV's, deflating the used value further. The Leaf is still a good car, but is no longer a safe bet for those intending to own short term and trade up, it's residual value just isn't there, at least not for now.

It's noteworthy that the lower prices are not turning out to be the missing link to higher sales... a few more Leaf's are selling but only on at the expense of residual value and that's just not sustainable.

it's like watching a slow motion train wreck...

EVDrive said:
Surprised how low a used Leaf value has dropped. If I were to buy a Model S, which I am seriously considering, I might have to keep the Leaf because of the low resale value. I have 24000 miles on my Leaf with 12 bars still but the way things are heading, in 6 months $15k may not be achievable on the resale market. Hopefully the price will stabilize after the 2013 comes out.

Yep! I alone know of two people who were planning to buy a Leaf and were scarred off by all the talk. One bought a Volt instead and the other a regular Prius. I'm sure that Nissan has lost other such sales because of this...

GaslessInSeattle said:
I attribute the dive in value to Nissan's ineptitude in dealing with the hot climate accelerated range loss and the way it has revealed that their battery warranty is virtually meaningless. One wonders if they can recover from this.

The current wholesale values of a 2011 LEAF is in-line with any other 2 year old car. 30~40% depreciation is completely normal. When the first generation Prius started to go into the resale market, it had a similar resale value.

Expect this car to settle out at about 50~60% depreciation after 4 years.

If you want to flip a car after 2 years, then consider leasing rather than purchasing.

OrientExpress said:
The current wholesale values of a 2011 LEAF is in-line with any other 2 year old car. 30~40% depreciation is completely normal. When the first generation Prius started to go into the resale market, it had a similar resale value.

Expect this car to settle out at about 50~60% depreciation after 4 years.

If you want to flip a car after 2 years, then consider leasing rather than purchasing.

ahh, if you take the fed credit into consideration maybe.

a 2012 SL that goes for 38,000 or $30,000 thereabouts after the credit should only have about a 20-25% drop in a year which would put it at about $24,000 give or take. keep in mind, the calendar still says 2012

You guys are going to love calculating your depreciation losses on your S's.

Buying an S will give ample opportunities for the AOG ceremony for years to come...

Happy Festivus to all!

http://www.festivusweb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GaslessInSeattle said:
same boat here, accept I've got a 2012 with only 12K on it. Initial attempts to sell garnered only two offers, one for 19K and one for 20K, i'll try again after the holidays. 10 months ago I got 25K in trade in for a 2011. The car is worth more than 20K to me, the trouble is that we only need two cars and one has to be all wheel drive for winter mountain driving, so with the S coming, the Leaf is the one getting the boot...

EVDrive said:

Used car pricing is typically based on a depreciated value from retail that includes persistent incentives. For example when hybrids got federal tax credits, their wholesale values were based on the post-credit price, the same applies for today's EVs that qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit. Other vehicles such as SUVs which have ongoing manufacturer's incentives are also valued post incentive.

The 2012 SL is starting to go into the wholesale market. Here are the actuals for cars sold during the week of December 19th. There is quite a spread in these sales, and there were only 4 cars, but this will give you an idea of how 2012 cars are performing.

Leaf12-wholesale-Manhiem-12-19.jpg

The bottom line is that if you are itching to turn your 2011 or 2012 LEAF (or any 1 or 2 year old car for that matter) for another car and you purchased rather than leased, you are looking to take the full weight of the depreciation on that purchase.

Most of the major depreciation on a car comes in the first 3 years.

Back