Who out here only uses there level 1 charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does an L1 trickle charge all night end up being a better way to keep a battery warm than running an L2 in heat mode all night and then L2 coming in for fast(ER) charge in the AM?

Arlington said:
Does an L1 trickle charge all night end up being a better way to keep a battery warm than running an L2 in heat mode all night and then L2 coming in for fast(ER) charge in the AM?

I can only say that even though my Leaf is exposed to the worst Winter winds, it rarely runs the battery heater, especially when charging.

GetOffYourGas said:
mayo said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Do you get a true 6-6.5 per hour, or is that a 6-6.5 "GOM on steroids" per hour? I plan on 4 mph in summer and 2 in winter when charging on L1.

It's a true 6-6.5, I've always been amazed since everyone seems to do less on the forum. Pretty sure the stock 2015 only runs at 12 amps. Mine might be a little more or my inverter might be somehow slightly more efficient. My L2 rates are higher than most also. No complaints here.

The picture is just an odd GOM from the other day. Not normal.

I'm guessing that you drive more efficiently than most. I average around 3.8miles/kWh (on the dash) in the summer and 2.5 in the winter. On a really cold day (sub-zero), I'm getting 1.8-2.0 miles/kWh. I think our chargers are nearly identical.

I think Mayo was stating that he get 6-6.5 miles of charge for every hour his car is on L1 charger. I.e. 10 hours on the charger will add 60-65 miles range.

Flyct said:
GetOffYourGas said:
mayo said:
It's a true 6-6.5, I've always been amazed since everyone seems to do less on the forum. Pretty sure the stock 2015 only runs at 12 amps. Mine might be a little more or my inverter might be somehow slightly more efficient. My L2 rates are higher than most also. No complaints here.

The picture is just an odd GOM from the other day. Not normal.

I'm guessing that you drive more efficiently than most. I average around 3.8miles/kWh (on the dash) in the summer and 2.5 in the winter. On a really cold day (sub-zero), I'm getting 1.8-2.0 miles/kWh. I think our chargers are nearly identical.

I think Mayo was stating that he get 6-6.5 miles of charge for every hour his car is on L1 charger. I.e. 10 hours on the charger will add 60-65 miles range.

That was my assumption too. My point is that, when charging, you are actually getting a set number of kW (or kWh per hour), and NOT "miles of charge". To determine "miles per hour", you need to know driving efficiency, or miles per kWh.

At L1, you get 1.44kW from the wall. If we assume 70% efficiency, that's about 1kW into the battery. So in an hour, "mayo" and I would both put 1kWh into the battery. For him to claim that he gets 6-6.5 "miles per hour" implies that he is driving with a dash efficiency of 6-6.5 miles / kWh. If that's true, then great for him! I could only dream of such numbers.

I did15k on my Leaf in 18 months and it is all I used. Charged up overnight and it was generally where it needed to be. Only felt a handful of times that l2 would have been helpful.

I used virtually no other charging setups anywhere.

Back