Whistling sound in new Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeaneG said:
Are you referring to the built-in noisemaker which alerts pedestrians?
The way to tell if this is it is to put your windows down. It will be much more noticeable. I call it more of a whoosh with some whistle in it - a whoostle? It is only on up to 19 mph, and goes away when stopped. NHTSA is looking to make a regulation that would make it louder and require it to be on even when stopped. They also want to require their own sound, which is kind of a cross between a dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, and diesel engine.

my Pedestrian warning whiner sounds like whistling. for me its easy to tell. I simply turn it off to see if the whistling stops.

I'm at about 2500 for mileage and I'm wondering if I can hear a high pitched whine from the motor. This isn't the alert noise and it happens at speeds higher than 19 mph. I have better than average hearing in the high ranges and I also have a problem with some home electronics having a hum even when they're supposedly off. (I'm looking at you, Sony TV)

I'm getting a bit of sympathetic buzzing from the plastic dash parts when I'm on a rough enough road to generate loud tire noise, I expect this one will only get worse over time.

Like I've said before about this car, these issues are minor. I would never even hear this stuff over the noise of a gas engine but the Leaf is so quiet I can count the pebbles stuck in the tire tread.

Foible said:
I'm at about 2500 for mileage and I'm wondering if I can hear a high pitched whine from the motor. This isn't the alert noise and it happens at speeds higher than 19 mph. I have better than average hearing in the high ranges and I also have a problem with some home electronics having a hum even when they're supposedly off. (I'm looking at you, Sony TV)
I can easily hear the whine at high speeds (rpm). But I usually have the audio system on (USB stick with a music folder) so I don't notice it much.
I'm getting a bit of sympathetic buzzing from the plastic dash parts when I'm on a rough enough road to generate loud tire noise, I expect this one will only get worse over time.

Like I've said before about this car, these issues are minor. I would never even hear this stuff over the noise of a gas engine but the Leaf is so quiet I can count the pebbles stuck in the tire tread.
Yes, I also hear the pebbles in the tread; I pick them up on the dirt/gravel road I live on and then they click for awhile on paved roads until they get dislodged. Same with my ICE car, just easier to hear in the quiet LEAF.

Yes, I can hear the high pitched motor whine (not pedestrian notification noise) at all times and all speeds. I guess I have better hearing at the high end of the spectrum as well, because my husband says he can't hear it at all.

Back