2014 battery range after replacement?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdee

I just got my leaf back today. I thought it would be the 84 miles hopefully with a new pack.
But it was 106. does that sound right? I have not been following. the forums much. I did not think
I was getting a battery. But they took care of it. Thanks for any info.

I just got my leaf back today. I thought it would be the 84 miles hopefully with a new pack.
But it was 106. does that sound right? I have not been following. the forums much. I did not think
I was getting a battery. But they took care of it. Thanks for any info.
You got a 30 KWH battery, Enjoy!

Have you driven 100+ miles on a single charge with your new battery, or does the range guess-o-meter tell you that you have 100+ miles of range? The range estimate is strongly weighted by recent driving.

As an example, our 2014 SV with 77K miles on the original 24 kWh battery (11 SOH bars) provides a range guesstimate of 95-100 miles when fully charged at my wife's work. Why? The last few miles of her drive to work are downhill (30-40 mph speed limit) and then flat (30 mph speed limit), both situations where the Leaf is very efficient.

When you set out from her place of work headed home, the guesstimate drops from 95-ish miles to 65-70 miles over the first 3-4 mostly uphill miles of the trip. Once the road becomes more rolling the estimated range starts to increase again (up to 80-85 miles) and then drops slowly over the remainder of the 17 mile drive home. She arrives home with 78-80% charge and a range estimate of 70-75 miles. Our overall efficiency (5.3 miles/kWh over about 17K miles and 2.5 years of ownership) is helped by our driving conditions: rolling, mostly rural roads with low (25-45 mph) speed limits. Pretty much the ideal scenario for maximizing the range of a first-generation Leaf.

The best way to figure out what capacity battery they installed, and the condition of that battery, is to ask the dealership(?) that did the install.

The paperwork I have does not say anything.
The Dealership looked at the car in 2022
The battery had dropped to 8 bars and they had a look and said Nissan might replace the battery or work out a payment plan for me.
I might be just out of warranty they said. So I was getting ready to sell and they called and asked if I still had the car about 8 months ago..
Then last week I got a call your battery is here come over and we will pop it in.
They just took it in and a few days later come and get it. I really did not talk to anyone just here is the keys sign here and have a good day.
Odd but I'm happy. still have to figure out what it's worth before
I put it up for sale. Pricing seems all over the place. I would post back but I don't drive 100 miles in 3 months It will probably be gone by then.
Thanks for the info.

Nissan had plans to remanufacture batteries, starting in Japan, about five years ago. Wonder if you just got one of those. Can you get Leaf Spy and look at the battery? Also, what year and pack was this originally? Edit, I read the title.

Last edited:
I have no idea--I stumbled across this parts listing the other day looking for something else. But someone here will know, I hope. It says you can order it... If it were a 24 kwh, I would already have tried to buy one.

I have no idea--I stumbled across this parts listing the other day looking for something else. But someone here will know, I hope. It says you can order it... If it were a 24 kwh, I would already have tried to buy one.
You would only need a Can-bridge to make a 40 kWh battery work in a 2013 or newer Leaf, the install is only six wires. https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-LEAF-Battery-Upgrade These rebuilt batteries could actually be massive news for used Leafs.

Here is a price for a remanufactured 40 kwh battery from Nissan of $2353: https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissa...CTURED-Battery-A/134130964/295B0-5SL4ARE.html . Maybe the mythical rebuilt batteries are arriving?
I checked that part number against the 40kW pack that I put in my car...and only the first few digits match. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it's definitely a "new" part number. If someone can get their hands on one of these and verify it's the real deal, it could be a game-changer for all Gen1/2 Leafs. For reference: I put a Gen2 40kWh pack in my Gen1 Leaf using Dala's CAN bridge...and it cost me a lot more than ~$2k.

I checked that part number against the 40kW pack that I put in my car...and only the first few digits match. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it's definitely a "new" part number. If someone can get their hands on one of these and verify it's the real deal, it could be a game-changer for all Gen1/2 Leafs. For reference: I put a Gen2 40kWh pack in my Gen1 Leaf using Dala's CAN bridge...and it cost me a lot more than ~$2k.
Keep in mind it has a $2500 core charge in addition to the ~$2k (I assume, waivable with the return of an existing 40kWh pack?) Unclear if a 24/30kWh pack would qualify for the core charge exchange, since it says it's compatible only with 2018+

Still, $4.5k for a 40KWh pack in good condition would be nice. Very nice.

I uploaded some screenshots here I can't read them..
2014 Leaf photos Leaf spy
Based on those LeafSpy readings it looks like you got a new 24kWh pack (only a couple AHr off the theoretical max). It should be a bit more balanced at that high SOC, but I don't think there's anything to worry about at this time. However, I would run it down to very low SOC (say 10%) just one time and then charge all the way up to 100% (but don't let it sit too long before driving)...and see if it reduces that 29mV delta.

Thanks for having a look and the info.
My plan now is to detail it and put it on the market.
looking to get a new Leaf next year after the good experience with this one.
I do miss my 1939 Buick 46s chopped coupe though 😂
Thanks again Jdee

Back