2011 LEAF pulling slightly to left under acceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philso

I noticed yesterday that when accelerating at speeds over about 20 mph, up to 60 mph, my 2011 LEAF pulls slightly to the left. When the accelerator pedal is released, it pulls to the right by about the same amount. It takes a correction of 2-3 degrees on the steering wheel to keep it going straight. I found it did this on a variety of (paved) road surfaces, all of which were pretty smooth and free from ruts. I test beyond 60 mph. I have owned the LEAF for 4 years now and have never noticed this effect before. There are no clunking sounds when going over bumps. Does this sound like some suspension components are wearing out and need to be replaced or is it torque-steer that I had not noticed before? Thanks.

This can be caused by many different things, including tire wear and tie rod ends. Also, a (very) slight pull to the centre of the road is to be expected, but this can be exacerbated by suspension wear. Get your suspension checked, replace worn parts and get a realignment, making sure the alignment is done with the steering wheel locked to straight on with the car powered on to make sure the electric power steering does not cause any issues with the alignment.

First Order Effects:
What is the tire pressure of the Left tire? and of the Right?
According to Hunter Engineering the car will pull under acceleration to the side with the lower pressure.

I experience significant torque-steer in my SV+. It's one of the peeves that I hope can be corrected by upgrading the shocks & struts.

I don't hammer the accelerator that often, but I want predictable handling when I do.

Thanks for your responses. I forgot to mention that the TPMS alert indicator came on recently with the recent change in temperature here. I will air up and see if the issue goes away. Hopefully, that is all it is. By the way, I am at around 85,000 miles and don't hear any clunking from the suspension or see any uneven tire wear.

Back