Where are all the Leaf's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baltneu said:
I read this is the most popular EV in the world. I don't know who put out that statistic.
I have owned my 2018 SL for 2 months and I watch out on the highway, and parking lots for fellow Leaf owners.
I live in Westchester County, NY which is about 20 mile north of NYC. A well populated area.
I have not seen any Leaf's! Not one. None on the highway. None in parking lots.
Where are all the Leaf's? My Leaf is lonely!

overseas.

Nissan has sold over 300k leafs as of Jan 2018: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianblanco/2018/01/09/nissan-leaf-300000-sales-global/#646e87b61cf6

Of that total, 92,198 (from 2010 - 2017) were sold in the US.

So 2/3rd's of them are in europe, japan, and canada.

In 2018 (as of Nov 1), the ratio gets worse: 11,920 in the US versus 40k in europe and 25k in japan.

LEAFs were super popular around Salt Lake City area few years ago. They are still here, but now they are totally outnumbered by Teslas, especially Model 3. I have both 2018 LEAF and Model 3, so I notice when I see either one. The other day I counted 4 Teslas in less than a minute. I've never seen more than two LEAFs on the road at the same time.

A lot are unfortunately shipped overs eases. (IMO that should be illegal without paying the credit back to the government)
I was looking at a couple of nice Leafs at BMVW (outside of Atlata, GA) and a coupe of weeks later they were gone.
Owner told me some guy picked up 15 to ship out of the country.

Then I met a guy from Jordan, and he told me he makes a killing buying used Leafs and shipping them to Jordan.

It really bothers me that our tax money that went towards subsidizing EVs is actually subsidizing EVs in other countries.
I can't believe they allow that.. it was meant to increase EV usage in this country, and reduce pollution in other cities, not to benefit other countries.

Anyway, I travel a lot for work, all over the US, and I see way more Model S and Model 3 than I see Leafs (or Leaves?)

If you look at the tax credit, you'll see the Leaf is not the most popular EV. Obviously Tesla is, since they met the 200k EVs sold already, but Nissan is way behind GM

https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out-tracker-by-automaker/

valem said:
A lot are unfortunately shipped overs eases. (IMO that should be illegal without paying the credit back to the government)
I was looking at a couple of nice Leafs at BMVW (outside of Atlata, GA) and a coupe of weeks later they were gone.

Then I met a guy from Jordan, and he told me he makes a killing buying used Leafs and shipping them to Jordan.

It really bothers me that our tax money that went towards subsidizing EVs is actually subsidizing EVs in other countries.
I can't believe they allow that.. it was meant to increase EV usage in this country, and reduce pollution in other cities, not to benefit other countries.

Anyway, I travel a lot for work, all over the US, and I see way more Model S and Model 3 than I see Leafs (or Leaves?)

If you look at the tax credit, you'll see the Leaf is not the most popular EV. Obviously Tesla is, since they met the 200k EVs sold already, but Nissan is way behind GM

https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out-tracker-by-automaker/

The EV tax credit was not designed to benefit other countries, but it’s doing so as an unexpected side benefit. Leafs have a relatively low resale value, and you can’t make someone buy a car they don’t want just so it doesn’t get exported. Prohibiting exports would drive values even lower, and forcing people to pay back subsidies might discourage those on the fence from getting one. (California’s CVRP only requires the car be owned by the first buyer/lessee and kept registered in-state for 30 months; it was originally 36 months when I got my first EV in January 2013.)

Tesla has done a great job of making their cars highly desirable, even though the quality control and reliability issues would be considered unacceptable if those same cars wore the Nissan “hamburger” logo. Financially well-off people are also more willing to be early adopters.

RonDawg said:
valem said:

The EV tax credit was not designed to benefit other countries, but it’s doing so as an unexpected side benefit. Leafs have a relatively low resale value, and you can’t make someone buy a car they don’t want just so it doesn’t get exported. Prohibiting exports would drive values even lower, and forcing people to pay back subsidies might discourage those on the fence from getting one. (California’s CVRP only requires the car be owned by the first buyer/lessee and kept registered in-state for 30 months; it was originally 36 months when I got my first EV in January 2013.)

Tesla has done a great job of making their cars highly desirable, even though the quality control and reliability issues would be considered unacceptable if those same cars wore the Nissan “hamburger” logo. Financially well-off people are also more willing to be early adopters.

and... let's be honest... Today Tesla is a "status" vehicle.. it basically says.. "I'm better than you" for some people IMHO.

Just like in high school with the rich kids who wore the expensive jeans and shirts before dress codes were implemented.

Back