when will tier 2 finally get to order?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry I didn't press the CS rep for more information. I was just very happy to have the information. I will reply today and ask for more info regarding states for the various "waves".

jimcmorr said:
Yesterday, I was looking at a couple of Nissan Dealers (online) in Lawrenceville and Gainsville to see which one would be best to talk with. One of them claims to have LEAFs on the lot. I don't believe it.
This is my neck of the woods. I haven't been by to check, but one of the dealers appeared to have one of every trim level in every color in its inventory. Sounds bogus to me too, but I wouldn't be surprised if some might be getting demonstrators, just as they are in Tier 1.

But I hope the move works out for you anyway!

Thanks! I noticed that about the Lawrenceville dealer. I also checked reviews for both the dealers in that area. Lawrenceville did not fare very well, where as Gainsville was much better! I am certain Lawrenceville does not have those LEAFs in stock. Those would have to be orphans and GA hasn't even been alowed to order yet. They don't even show as LEAF certified on the LEAF site.

As soon as I get a reply from Nissan CS on the updated rollout schedule I will let you all know.

nogajim said:
jimcmorr said:
Yesterday, I was looking at a couple of Nissan Dealers (online) in Lawrenceville and Gainsville to see which one would be best to talk with. One of them claims to have LEAFs on the lot. I don't believe it.
This is my neck of the woods. I haven't been by to check, but one of the dealers appeared to have one of every trim level in every color in its inventory. Sounds bogus to me too, but I wouldn't be surprised if some might be getting demonstrators, just as they are in Tier 1.

But I hope the move works out for you anyway!

jimcmorr said:
I just had a response from Customer service to a message I sent yesterday. ([email protected])

This is what they said about Georgia and New Hampshire:

Georgia will be in Wave 2 of our distribution plan, meaning: You will be able to reserve / order end of this August / beginning of Fall. You will take delivery of your LEAF in 90 to 120 days after you accept your quote from the dealer.

New Hampshire will be in Wave 5 of our distribution plan. It will be available for reserve / order end of Spring 2012 / beginning of Summer 2012.

Major bummer for New Hampshire but I hope to be in Georgia well before next year!

Well, too bad for Nissan - I'll likely be able to get a PHEV Prius before that. Or maybe a Focus EV? Heck, i can go to CT "right now" and get a Volt!

If I can't sell my house and move to Georgia I may consider trying to track down a reasonably priced orphan and trailer it home to NH.

LeafinThePark said:
Wave 5? This is the first I have seen any differentiation for the 'forgotten 36'. Until now, I thought there was a wave 1, wave 2, and 'the rest of the country'. Interesting....

Anyone know more details here?

Yup, I emailed Nissan and was given a Wave 5 (Wisconsin)date of April-June of 2012 for ordering. These last few days ar the first I've heard of the "wave" rollout and it seems to be consistent with what others are getting back when the email Nissan's Leaf contact.

When I pressed the Customer Service rep I emailed to about a shcedule for the remaining roll out, he said there was no specific schedule of dates and states. At that point I wondered where he got the dates for the states I had asked about, namely New Hampshire and Georgia. Oh well.

WaunaLeaf said:
LeafinThePark said:
Wave 5? This is the first I have seen any differentiation for the 'forgotten 36'. Until now, I thought there was a wave 1, wave 2, and 'the rest of the country'. Interesting....

Anyone know more details here?

Yup, I emailed Nissan and was given a Wave 5 (Wisconsin)date of April-June of 2012 for ordering. These last few days ar the first I've heard of the "wave" rollout and it seems to be consistent with what others are getting back when the email Nissan's Leaf contact.

Thanks for sharing that...I assume here in Minnesota I have the same/similar timing. If order to deliver time stays about what it is now, that means getting the car just in time for Winter. Also means I need to keep the old Saturn running about 18 more months.

marccbr said:
Why wait for tier 2? not much changes.

Unless we want to search for an orphan and trailer it home, we are stuck waiting for the Nissan invitation to order. And that isn't going to happen until at least August now for tier 2. Those of us in "wave 5" have to wait until spring 2012.

Among the Tier2 states, I imagine not many will have a lot of orders - may be FL & Virginia ? I think rest will be similar or less than TN in orders. If that is the case, I expect other states to open up more quickly. Nissan should be aiming to deliver the first cars in summer or fall rather than winter in these non-T2 states.

it could be there will be a significant # of orders in Va and Maryland. (for a tier 2 state, no comparison to west coast)

High density of hybrid owners here because of the toll road, and I66 HOV exemption(although that policy will end soon)

Lots of well paid people around here too. wouldnt be shocked if the one of the top tier 2 states is Va.

Stays hot here til end of september or early october here. I agree you wouldnt want your first tier 2 deliveries and press reports to be on extremely cold snowy days!

I am guessing August ordering for early tier to reservations and deliveries by October or November at latest, but that thinking goes against what Nissan has said most recently, I think they said order by Fall , that would mean delivery December or January 2012 ( I would rather not be happy if Its a 2011 model and I take delivery in Jan )

I think I might have a shortcut for you. PM me if you want to know. evnow can verify my credibility if he looks at my ip address.

I talked to a couple of dealers in Raleigh today and they both told a similar story. They are assuming notifications (emails) will go out to reservationists in July and ordering will start in August/September with cars arriving in November/December. One dealer said he had been told that he had about 70 reservations for his dealership. What really surprised me is that both dealers said they would be getting quick DC chargers. I'm wondering if they actually checked on the price of those things yet. They also said their chargers would be made available to the public. One of the dealers did say that he was concerned that the allotment of cars they would get per month would be very small, like single digits. Not sure if he knew what the numbers would actually be but he implied that the 5 cars the city of Raleigh ordered from them would eat up most if not all of their first month's allotment. The other dealer said the NC state government was buying some cars as well for their fleet. The info is similar to what Nissan CS said earlier this week so it looks like Later Summer / Fall really does mean August/September.

jimcmorr said:
marccbr said:
Why wait for tier 2? not much changes.

Unless we want to search for an orphan and trailer it home, we are stuck waiting for the Nissan invitation to order. And that isn't going to happen until at least August now for tier 2. Those of us in "wave 5" have to wait until spring 2012.

That's exactly what I did. Between not knowing when we could finally order a Leaf, what the price of the 2012 will be, and what interest rates will be when the car is delivered (which is when it will be financed), as well as being tired of waiting and waiting, I got an orphan and had it shipped here. Have had it for just over two weeks, have over 850 miles so far, and absolutely love it. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Dave

Cool DaveTex! I am considering upgrading my reservation to an SL w/ QC. Any thoughts? Do you use the QC at all?

davetex99 said:
That's exactly what I did. Between not knowing when we could finally order a Leaf, what the price of the 2012 will be, and what interest rates will be when the car is delivered (which is when it will be financed), as well as being tired of waiting and waiting, I got an orphan and had it shipped here. Have had it for just over two weeks, have over 850 miles so far, and absolutely love it. Wish I'd done it sooner.
Cool - if I may ask - how much did you pay ?

ok so its July 6th. and no news so far on any new tier 2 opening for new orders

no assements windows opening either.

figure that has to start soon at least

guessing maybe late July for start of orders ,or August, then again maybe september :roll:

gotta happen soon, they cant delay forever.

wondering if cold package cars a rolling off the line right now?

who would have known it would be 15 months since reservation and I still cant order

kmp647 said:
ok so its July 6th. and no news so far on any new tier 2 opening for new orders

no assements windows opening either.

figure that has to start soon at least

guessing maybe late July for start of orders ,or August, then again maybe september :roll:

gotta happen soon, they cant delay forever.

wondering if cold package cars a rolling off the line right now?

who would have known it would be 15 months since reservation and I still cant order

Consider yourself fortunate, you are in Tier 2, or as they are now calling them, Wave 2. They have put New Hampshire in Wave 5! Officially, no ordering here until next spring. At that time I will have had my reservation for 2 years!

But as some have said, Nissan will probably accelerate the process since there are probably fewer people in the Wave 2 and on, roll out states that will be buying LEAFs. Wave 2 will probably begin ordering as you suggest late July or maybe late August. But the following waves will probably begin ordering sooner than originally stated. Thought it is still all unofficial at this point. I wish Nissan would post an updated roll out schedule.

Though they are beginning "Drive a LEAF" events in Hartford and Boston this month! And Philadelphia next month.

Back