When do test-drive/demo cars start arriving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLEAF

I'm patiently (yeah, right) waiting for my Leaf to arrive here in New York, and I'm wondering when the dealers around here will start to receive demo units? I don't want to call my dealer and pester them with questions (they don't seem too friendly, honestly), but with the first cars for customers not arriving until December/January, how long will I have to wait to at least test drive one?

When I first was doing the RAQ process I spoke to CS a number of times...they said to check with dealer on doing a test drive. They don't know anything about specific dealerships and whatnot. My dealer seems very grumpy when discussing the Leaf...would rather not call them. Honestly wish I wasn't dealing with them at all, but I'm stuck with them now.

If my own experience is anything similar, it will be about a month after they opened up ordering for your area (possibly 4 to 6 weeks) as Nissan typically is quoting 3 to 4 month delivery from time the order being placed. The time the dealer gets their demo unit is also tied into when they were 'LEAF certified' and if their techs are ready as well as on-site charging stations up and running -- in late July when ordering opened up for IL, I saw only one dealer who was LEAF certified close enough to me, but since that time several are now up and we're only just starting to see more dealers with demo's in full view -- what I don't know is if each Nissan dealer will be 'required' to sell the LEAF as it will cost them time and money (send techs and sales people to training, install chargers, etc.) or they can be exempt because they're too small, etc. For instance, here in Chicago we have tons of Chevy dealers but just a few who are selling the Volt, again could be comparing apples to oranges as not sure how Nissan works with their dealers versus GM. It's too bad your dealer isn't more ethusiastic but again it's a business and they can't sell you a LEAF TODAY so perhaps thats the reason for being grumpy (no excuse of course).

I gave in and called. The guy wasn't quite as grumpy, but he definitely rushed me off the phone. He said the end of November or beginning of December. He said he's got 6 orders right now, so he'll call us all when the demo shows up.

If you really want to drive one right away, see what you have to do to get an expedited Hertz on Demand membership. They've got one for rent at Seward Park on the lower east side of Manhattan. I'm in PA, an Nissan has not allowed me to order yet, but I've put over 320 miles on the Hertz NYC LEAF, starting as early as last April. A bit pricey for some, but it does allow one to get some experience driving a car that is not being delivered yet in these parts...

Well...I showed up exactly at my scheduled appointment time, in the dark, in the pouring rain. I walked in, and they had their only Leaf sitting on the showroom floor. I got to sit inside, take lots of pictures, but...no test drive! They had no recollection of inviting me in for a test drive, and absolutely refused to take the car out in the rain. When I made a fuss because I literally drove 30 miles in the rain to get there, and they never even bothered to call me to let me know it wasn't going to happen, they invited me back the next day (today) for a test drive -- "only once around the block, so we don't put too many miles on the car!". I'm now waiting for a call to find out if/when this is going to happen.

As I was leaving, the "Leaf certified" salesman also informed me that I should make sure I bring my checkbook/credit card with me for the $1000 deposit. I said I already placed my $99 deposit and I had no intention of giving more until the car is at the dealer. He said that if I want the car, I'd better! He also said he wants to do a credit check on me when I come in. I also said no, I'm not doing that until the car is physically here and paperwork is being drawn up. He again said that it's not an option. I'm regretting my choice in dealerships right about now, that's for sure....

My dealer in NH has a test drive car. I'm still trying to find a block of time in my wife's schedule. I certainly hope they won't pull the "don't want too many miles on it" line - A longer test drive is what I need for a LEAF to continue to be an option! The same logic will apply to the PiP when my Toyota dealer gets a test drive car.

NYLEAF said:
Well...I showed up exactly at my scheduled appointment time, in the dark, in the pouring rain. I walked in, and they had their only Leaf sitting on the showroom floor. I got to sit inside, take lots of pictures, but...no test drive! They had no recollection of inviting me in for a test drive, and absolutely refused to take the car out in the rain. When I made a fuss because I literally drove 30 miles in the rain to get there, and they never even bothered to call me to let me know it wasn't going to happen, they invited me back the next day (today) for a test drive -- "only once around the block, so we don't put too many miles on the car!". I'm now waiting for a call to find out if/when this is going to happen.

As I was leaving, the "Leaf certified" salesman also informed me that I should make sure I bring my checkbook/credit card with me for the $1000 deposit. I said I already placed my $99 deposit and I had no intention of giving more until the car is at the dealer. He said that if I want the car, I'd better! He also said he wants to do a credit check on me when I come in. I also said no, I'm not doing that until the car is physically here and paperwork is being drawn up. He again said that it's not an option. I'm regretting my choice in dealerships right about now, that's for sure....

I would think that if you already accepted the online dealer quote unless it spells out that they require a deposit in the actual quote itself what you accepted online should be enough to hold the car and not require more money 'down' -- I'd look over what you accepted to see if the dealer put some loop hole in it that allows this. If this is 'after the fact' negotiations, report it to Nissan CS and at least see what they say.

Nissan CS had me cancel my whole order and start fresh. It sucks, because now I'm back to the RAQ process, and because I have no idea when I'll wind up getting a car. But, they wanted me to because the original quote I received (and accepted) was $37,250/month for a lease, when it should have obviously been $37,250 for the purchase price. That, combined with the fact that the dealer was making these demands of me, made me super skeptical of the whole thing.

So, I'm back to the RAQ phase. I have a new quote in with a dealer that's a bit closer to my house. I'll see what happens...

NYLeaf, what a pain in the neck. It seems that most folks on the forum who called around and tried to pre-negotiate the deal before designating a preferred dealer have had better results. I know it sounds like a pain, but might be less frustrating in the long run.

It's probably best to start over as it looks like you are still 4 months out and it's better to do this now and get a firm deal that you can live with. Keep checking to see if more "LEAF certified" dealer's show up to get things more competitive as well. We have one dealer in metro Chicago now advertising $500 off MSRP now (only on this forum) so you never know (of course having a $2,000 off MSRP for orphan's in CA makes you think that the dealers should get better over time)

redLEAF said:
...what I don't know is if each Nissan dealer will be 'required' to sell the LEAF as it will cost them time and money (send techs and sales people to training, install chargers, etc.) or they can be exempt because they're too small, etc...
Dealers definitely do NOT have to become LEAF certified. Most of the ones near me have no plans to sell or service the LEAF, although one responded with a "TBD" (To Be Determined). A Nissan rep who handles the certification/training process said in September that they are trying to persuade more dealers to become LEAF certified by pointing out that they will need that electric car capability to be able to sell the plug-in hybrid Altima. (Since then, there are reports here that the plug-in hybrid Altima is now on hold, I wouldn't know.)

So, no, not all Nissan dealers will become LEAF certified anytime soon. If you have several dealers near you that are or will be LEAF certified, consider yourself lucky. The only one within 300 miles of me is 93 miles from my house and requires an interim charge to be able to get there or back.

essaunders said:
My dealer in NH has a test drive car. I'm still trying to find a block of time in my wife's schedule. I certainly hope they won't pull the "don't want too many miles on it" line - A longer test drive is what I need for a LEAF to continue to be an option! The same logic will apply to the PiP when my Toyota dealer gets a test drive car.

Where in NH? I've had a few conversations with the folks at Nissan of Keene. The sales person there told me last Saturday that they would have their demo the week of Dec 5th. A customer car was also expected to be delivered that week. (not mine :( )

jimcmorr said:
essaunders said:

Where in NH? I've had a few conversations with the folks at Nissan of Keene. The sales person there told me last Saturday that they would have their demo the week of Dec 5th. A customer car was also expected to be delivered that week. (not mine :( )

Team Nissan in Manchester. I haven't been there yet though I do have an email in to find out how long of a test drive I can get.

Back