What was your previous car before Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2002 Toyota Tundra with ~125k mils. Still have it, it is used for longer trips, especially camping. My wife has a 2004 Ford Focus which is her primary car during the week for running around, and for longer day trips.

2004 BMW 330i w/ Performance (a.k.a. ZHP) package. My lease payment is about the same as my old monthly gas bill, and the Leaf is much more interesting to drive, IMHO.

Mine was a 2011 Kia Sorento AWD.

It gave me great service, and Nissan gave me a startlingly great trade-in!

With the $8,000.00 Quebec Government rebate, my Leaf SL ending up costing me less than 50% of value.

How could I lose?? :cool:

Best,
Dave

Mine was a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. In the winter I got about 24-25mpg, and in the summer, around 30 (almost all my driving is highway).
I got about 80k miles out of it over 6 years (bought it used in Jan. 2009) -- it was pretty much the only car we used, despite also having a 2010 Honda Fit. Now we've got the Fit as our ICE backup for the Leaf, and I expect I'll put round about 10k miles/yr. on the Leaf, and just 3-5k or so in the Fit as a family (including vacation trips, etc.)
Switching to the Fit alone gets me a boost of about 6-8mpg over my Sonata, but I figure conservatively I'll be spending around $450/yr in electricity for the Leaf, and maybe $350/yr in gas for the Fit, which is not bad compared to the $1500 or so each year I was paying in gas before. Even if I have to get a new battery 5 years or so from now, I think it still makes a lot of financial sense!

WisJim said:
We liked it and managed to get the dealer to take our son's 1981 Comuta Car as trade in (we traded our 2001 VW Golf electric conversion to our son for the Comuta Car that we used as a trade in).
OMG, so that's where the "glorified golf cart" meme for EVs came from! Amazingly, I knew next to nothing about this vehicle and its history before being prompted to investigate by your mention of it above. I'm surprised it didn't have some sort of "collector's value", and might that be why the dealer agreed to accept it for trade-in?

Incidentally, and ironically, it is now that meme that is giving golf carts a bad name! :shock: ;) I happen to think golf carts are great vehicles, both for their intended and other purposes, and some of the better ones are down right snazzy and expensive!

2003 BMW M3 with 3 pedals. She mainly gets driven only during nice days now. The Leaf takes all the abuse. :)

Our new Leaf S is my wife's car, but the old vehicle is sitting in the driveway right now for repair with a broken defrost actuator. I've done lots of auto repairs, but pulling the dash on this van and fixing this is a royal pain. What is this lemon:

2001 Olds Silhouette- purchased new and will keep fixing it until I get frustrated enough to send it over a cliff.

Will never buy another GM vehicle!

Just traded my 13 years of driving in my beloved 2001 Z-3. Really liked that car, but the cost of keeping it running was outweighing the benefits of having a fun car to drive.

My "Z-RO" is just a different kind of fun!

Ray
Charleston, SC

b3fa6n.jpg

Hello,
1995 Toyota Tercel, 40 mpg, 150k miles. Great little car that I planned on converting to electric. Then the Leaf was announced and I jumped on that instead.

My previous car was a Mitsubishi i-MiEV. We had our first baby coming, so I traded in my paid-off baby (Mazda 3) for a $69/month $0 down lease, and took the cash. The i-MiEV ain't a bad commuter vehicle, and the rear-wheel drive makes things more fun. The LEAF is a much better vehicle, though. :mrgreen:

dman2509 said:
2003 BMW M3 with 3 pedals. She mainly gets driven only during nice days now. The Leaf takes all the abuse. :)

I have almost the same car, a 2002 M3 manual. I also kept it for when I need the range.

Oh yeah, the M3 gets 16-17mpg in the city even though it's a 'compact' car.

1. 05 Volvo XC90, turbo 6, no issues, loved that car, trade in.
2. 09 Nissan Altima Hybrid, oil and tires only, sold to family member.

2002 Subaru WRX wagon with aftermarket exhaust, suspension, rims, and a custom tune. It was about 250whp all wheel drive and a blast in the corners.

I still have my beater, 1998 chevy metro with 175,000 miles. It's paid for, it runs great, gets 45mpg all day, and gets used about once every couple of months when I need some extra range and the leaf would be too much hassle.

'04 Scion Xb, loved that vehicle, tons of head room and storage room not to mention people room. I'd LOVE to purchase a electric Xb, not the newer chubby ones but based off the older more Japanese designed models, I owned it for 10 years.
Before the Scion I had a 5 door Geo Metro for 10 years, also loved that car, a fair amount of passenger room and good storage room, terrific gas mileage. Unfortunately I owned it when gas was very cheap so I never really fully benefited from it's high gas mileage. Upper 30s in very short trips and 50+ on the road, at least 10 MPG better than the Scion. Unfortunately being so light(~1700 lbs I believe) it had very thin metal and the frame literally broke near the front struts from corrosion, otherwise I may have driven it for many more miles, real shame :( The Geo was the last of it's day, no air bags, no power windows, 5 speed, no power locks, etc. It's only option was AC and you could really tell when it kicked in :shock: needless to say I never engaged AC while trying to merge onto the freeway! I did love the tires on the Geo though, 145 12" :lol: My last set at Sears cost all of $12.50 each, $50 for a set of 4 60k mile tires. It would have been as much for valve stems and to balance the tires as they cost so I just had them mount the tires and I used my old bubble balancer at home.
Lots of various American and foreign cars before that(German, Italian, English, Japanese, Swedish) a 1971 Audi 100LS was my first street driving car, 4 on the floor and a nice hand crank(don't see those anymore) sunroof :D My oldest vehicle would have been a 64 Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant, great cars with the last forever 225 slant 6 (oh and both had the cool push button automatics)!

Our 2002 Echo had 252,000 miles, and still felt like new (39 MPG), when someone on a cell phone smashed into it:

pLE9ta7.jpg

Back