What to look for when inspecting a used Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the amazingly comprehensive replies- really helps me narrow the search
Will read through all the info on the links
Much appreciated!

So I've had trouble finding 2013s for $10k (I want to have the faster charging option since I will be keeping the car until it dies) but did see a 2014 Sl for $12k- is that a reasonable price?

Hi so here's my current dilemma- after not having the time to car shop for many weeks I now see two main options in local listings-
2012 SL models listed at dealers for mostly (presumably negotiable) $9500
Or
2014 SL models similarly listed for $12000

Over the long life of the loan I'll need it's not a huge difference each month- wondering which is the better value? Instinctively I feel like I should buy the newest I can stretch to but I also like spending as little as possible...

Any advice appreciated (again!)

tvspaulmoore said:
Hi so here's my current dilemma- after not having the time to car shop for many weeks I now see two main options in local listings-
2012 SL models listed at dealers for mostly (presumably negotiable) $9500
Or
2014 SL models similarly listed for $12000

Over the long life of the loan I'll need it's not a huge difference each month- wondering which is the better value? Instinctively I feel like I should buy the newest I can stretch to but I also like spending as little as possible...

Any advice appreciated (again!)

The 2014 will have a better battery pack that should degrade less, but will still degrade more quickly than a 2015+ Leaf pack. It comes down to your range needs. If the 2012 will meet those needs even with only 9 or 10 capacity bars, it's the better deal. Otherwise I too would get the 2014.

If you do all of your charging at home, at night, not much. If you do "opportunity charging" at public stations, then yes, you might miss the 6.6kw charger.

I've found some $9K 2013 Leafs to look at this weekend and bought the bluetooth interface for the Leafspy app- does anyone have advice on what key readings to use to compare cars with- how would I know if one is better than another? Would I simply be trying to measure battery depletion?

Firetruck41 said:
$12k for a 2014 SL would be a good deal around here, if it is in good condition with good battery capacity.
$12K for a 2014 SL here in Texas wouldn't even get you a salvage repair vehicle.

There is one available on AutoTrader- up in Minnesota. Nicely equipped car (premium package w/Bose) for $14K. Pretty nice deal, but nothing SL for $12K.

tvspaulmoore said:
I've found some $9K 2013 Leafs to look at this weekend and bought the bluetooth interface for the Leafspy app- does anyone have advice on what key readings to use to compare cars with- how would I know if one is better than another? Would I simply be trying to measure battery depletion?

As Leftibiker stated look at AHr and SOH on this screen.
image.png

For anyone following my prolonged saga (truth is I kept putting off car shopping) I bought via Offleaseonly.com which have several Florida locations and have lots of Leafs (Leaves?) at their various locations and were cheaper than all other dealers.

Last Friday I picked up a 2013 S (with backup camera/QC port) and 30K miles for $8500 which I think is a fair deal... and it's awesome to drive!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice- it all came in very useful!

Wow! $8500 for a '13S w/charger package, you got a great deal(assuming the SOH is at least mid to upper 80s). In my market the '13's(even S) tend to be close to $13k, never seen one <$10k

tvspaulmoore said:
Last Friday I picked up a 2013 S (with backup camera/QC port) and 30K miles for $8500 which I think is a fair deal... and it's awesome to drive!

That is a great price!! Congratulations.

This is from the Leaf Spy app this morning but I have no idea how to use properly so hopefully this makes some sense to someone... and doesn't mean the car is about to die or anything...

Thanks for the feedback
I am loving the car (and several friends want one too now)
The dealer did recommend not constantly charging but I have a free workplace charger- I've set the charging limit to 80%- do I need to avoid charging every day? What's the best practice to prolong battery life...?

Back