What Kind of LEAF owner are you

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
Which one are you?

I'm a constant climate,with access to a quick-charge network, Commuter, with High-mileage, High-speed driving, save money,Lease type.

Are you starting a wiki for this? If not, good luck trying to collate the data once there are 22 pages of responses :lol:
I don't fit the mold since I made a huge lifestyle change after 11 months of LEAF ownership

Constant climate (although I dispute my fellow Bay Area denizens in that claim)
QC network
Former commuter (first 16,000 miles)
High mileage
Mixed speed driving
Environmentalist (motivated), but all of the above

You forgot oil hating.

You forgot maintenace hating.

Other than that, I bought, -Experience temperatures from 110 to 10, used L1 for most of the first year, then went to all L2, almost all at home, although there are a lot of chargers near me should I require them. I commute every day around 40 miles, but on Sunday my commute is 130RT. Coming up on 22,000 miles, you can call that high if you want to, but I expect long calendar life anyway since I avoid the VLBW and keep my battery between 20 and 80%, 80% of the time. My typical drive style is reserved, but I utilize the torque often, so not sure if that is high speed or just sport driving.

As for save the planet, I think anything I do at this point is not going to make much of a difference, but if I inspire a new generation to go clean I may be helping to steer the world down the right road.

World security would be a nice thing. When people can transport themselves on energy they create, it will transform the way people treat each other.

Owner; L2 charge, both at home and opportunity charging throughout the metro area; Cold climate, although I haven't yet driven the Leaf thru a winter (but we had a record number of 100+ and 90+ days this summer); 16 mile RT commuter, with lots of kid-toting after work; 3300 all-solar-powered miles I guess makes me low mileage; drive both highway (60mph) and in-town; peak oil/new tech.

- owner
- constant climate
- L2 only
- commuter
- low-mileage
- low-speed driving
- save the planet / new technology

- Owner/lessee: Lessee, but decided while signing. Planned on keeping it three years either way.
- climate: Moderate, but not constant. Max 100+, min 30-.
- charging: Poor availability. Nearest QC is 45 miles, 2 L2 locations within 15 miles. 99% home charging.
- Commute/sporadic: Retired, but a fair amount of volunteer organization driving.
- Mileage: Low: 10K in 17 months.
- Speed: Mixed. Occasional 70+, usually 60 on freeway, 45-50 country roads, 25-35 in town.
- Motivation: Should be obvious.

Ray

- Owner/lessee: Owner - 2 Leafs
- Climate: Constant (SF Bay Area weather)
- Charging: 99% Home Charging. Don't bother with L2 charging unless emergency. Would heavily use QC for longer trips, otherwise will rent a car.
- Commute/sporadic: 3 days of commute per week. Majority of trips around locality. Rarely would bother driving up to downtown SF.
- Mileage: 10K miles in 14 months on both cars so far.
- Speed: Myself-Usually 65-70. Wife-Always 70+, never below 65. We never drive below 60 unless we're down to 1 bar or LBW.
- Motivation: Save a ton of money on petrol and never have to deal with genral car maintenance. The low noise interior of the Leaf makes it very difficult to go back to driving a regular gasoline car.

Owner
Extreme weather - Hot summer (100-110*), Cold winter (-20-40*), the only constant is that the weather will change usually with 30* temp swings everyday. I would comment about spring and fall but we skipped spring this year and went straight to summer.
No L3 to date but I got the port anyway. ChargePoint network available and member.
Commuter but it's not really what typically is thought of as a commute but perpetual suburban driving. Kids to school, office, grocery, etc.
Thought was going to be low mileage but put on 4k in 90 days.
Medium speed. Sporadic highway driving but primarily suburban street driving.
Save planet but the oil/security was a really nice bonus. Just like the super quiet ride was a really nice bonus.

- Owner
- Climate = Hot summers (100s+)/cold winters (-5), Kansas City, MO
- Charging - No quick-charge network I know of, L2 available sporadilcally, 99.9% L2 @ home chargin
- Commuter, primarily highway, but slow due to construction/congestion (accumulating trees!)
- Low-mileage/long calendar life (~8 miles to work, just logged 2000 miles since delivery on 6/4/12)
- Combination high-speed & low-speed driving
- All of these: Save the planet, peak oil/national sovereignty, save money & new technology
:)

- Lessee - make the residual value Nissan's problem, not mine
- Climate - Warm summers (80s+)/cold winters (-20), Chicago, IL
- Charging - Mostly home, access to good L2 infrastructure, some L3
- Primarily Commuter - also taken over most of the miles from Wife's ICE
- High-mileage - 20k/year
- Mostly high-speed 60+
- Save money & new technology

RegGuheert said:
- Owners versus lessees
- Hot climate versus cold climate versus constant climate
- Those with access to a quick-charge network versus L2 only versus no charging network
- Commuters versus sporadic drivers
- High-mileage versus low-mileage/long calendar life
- High-speed driving versus low-speed driving
- Save the planet versus peak oil/national sovereignty versus save money versus new technology

Owner - after GM took my EV1 away and crushed it I vowed never to lease again.
Constant -- though Pasadena, CA will get over 90 for a few weeks each year.
L2 network plentiful, L3 growing.
Mostly Commuter with various other trips porting kids around.
low-mileage (Home -> 5.5 miles)
Mostly low-speed, but get me on the freeway and I'm on the north side of 70.
Yes. ;-) [SMOG sucks -- that was our original reason for getting into EVs 21 years ago -- I like fun and fast cars, want to save the planet, am all about peak oil, don't want to give money to extremist dictators, want to save money, and shiny new tech toys are good.]

Owner.

Moderate climate.

95% of charging is at home - L2 @ 12 Amps usinng home brew quick 240 volt

Retired. Rarely more that 65 mies a day. 60-65 freeway, 55 rural roads, 35-45 surface streets. Usually stay at speed limit. First year - 9,000 miles.

Motivation: Happy to not be burning fossil fuel, but selfesh motive in that I just wanted an electric car.

- Owner
- Hot climate
- Trickle at home, access to a L2 network around town
- Sporadic driver
- low-mileage/long calendar life
- low-speed driving
- All - Save the planet, peak oil/national sovereignty, save money, new technology

OrientExpress said:
RegGuheert made a very interesting observation describing the demographic classes for the typical LEAF owner.

RegGuheert said:
- Owners versus lessees
- Hot climate versus cold climate versus constant climate
- Those with access to a quick-charge network versus L2 only versus no charging network
- Save the planet versus peak oil/national sovereignty versus save money versus new technology

Which one are you?

I'm a constant climate,with access to a quick-charge network, Commuter, with High-mileage, High-speed driving, save money,Lease type.
I am a
- Hot Climate (TX)
- L1/L2 access at home and all over town. No L3s in Austin
- Commuter
- Low Mileage
- Low Speed
- I bought it for all the reasons listed. I knew it was a risk and a new technology with possible issues that may arise but it was to important for me not to consider buying a leaf.
- Own

I'm an

- Owners
- in constant climate
- with access to a L2 charging
- Commuter
- low-mileage/long calendar life
- High-speed driving
- new technology

I am an owner.
San Francisco Bay = fairly constant Climate
Trickle charging at home so far.
Use LEAF mostly for trips around town and for substitute teaching.
Low mileage. Hoping LEAF will meet my needs for the next 10 years.
Keeping up with the flow of traffic driver.
Save the planet plus love new technology.

Owner
Wild Pennsylvania Climate swing (110F to -10F)

I Installed L2 chargers everywhere I live or Travel to regularly
Just getting the beginnings of an L2 EV project network here. NO L3 in sight.
Mileage looks to be about 8000 per year, non-commuter
High speed (70+)

The last one is not a simple answer. Could probably write pages on it, and with this group, probably don't need too.
It's peaceful, and like a Ninja- it passes quietly and leaves no trace of it's passing.

I put fuel in my wifes Passat TDI Variant today, and was shocked to spend $60 for fuel, and $79.95 for a TDI oil change.
I've gone 7200 miles in my Leaf, and had completely forgotten what that was like.

I'm counting the days till new years, so I can put a PV array on my Garage roof, and actually do this for less than 0 $$
(Can't afford 2 big tax "credits" in the same year)

--Owner
--Four season climate: 20 - 100 deg F
--Only L2
--Commuter
--Low Mileage
--Mixed speeds
--I believe we need a new paradigm. And I believe that those who understand this need to put our money where our mouths are. Being a first adopter can really stink, but someone has to do it.

Can anyone easily do a google poll to collect this stuff? That would be great!

-Owner
- Hot to cold 4 seasons
- No charging network, L2 at home
- Sporadic driver (non-commuter sounds better!)
- Low-mileage/long calendar life
- Low-speed driving (mixed hilly highway and hilly non-highway. But speed limit or lower.)
- Save the planet versus peak oil/national sovereignty versus save money versus new technology: All of the above. Emphasis on save the planet. Latest science shows global warming here faster than thought, with worse consequences, and much nearer to tipping points/points of no return if we continue to put greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Plus the number of deaths/cases of asthma/cancer and more from fossil fuel pollution is pure craziness.

Note for Nissan, engineers especially: With global warming, more and more areas will have Arizona like temperatures. Sooner, rather than later. That's the science. We need to plan for it.

- Owners versus lessees
- Mediterranean type climate
- Those with access to a quick-charge network versus L2 only versus no charging network at destination. Home is L2.

Moderate Mileage (1000/mo)
Sporatic driving
Mediterranean Temp Area (Hot Springs)
L1 only charging (best for long life!)
Owner
45 MPH average
Save the Planet and national sovereignty

Back