What is the Charging efficiency for Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JRP3 said:
That can't be right for charge efficiency.

ok, well i can say i do honestly hope that the Car is wrong because the amount of AC going in is not calculated, its simply recorded. no math, no fuzzy logic, no algorithms.... just plain old addition.

If you're losing 30% of the energy from the wall to charge the pack where is it all going?

i hesitate to say this, but it does appear that if i do not charge to 100% (something i did on a regular basis up until about 3-4 weeks ago) i seem to be getting better efficiency approaching 75%. this is all preliminary and wondering if the weather change might be affecting it? since this also loosely correlates with the warming of the weather we were having (this week has not been as cooperative)

i am not doing percentage charge, i am doing timed charge. i pretty much know how much it takes to charge up the car so have been guessing at the time needed to charge up to 90+ percent. twice i want to get near 100% for planned longer trips and according to Nissan web portal hit 94% twice which makes me think that there is probably not a very small increment the web displays...but i am only charging about 4 days a week now

Using the the charge shown by Blink - I can't get a good "efficiency" % between charge at the wall (i.e. Blink) and what Leaf reports (as miles/kwh * miles driven). So, either Blink is reporting wrong or the Leaf miles/kwh is not what we think it is i.e. kwh counted out of the battery.

One more thing. Looking at the range, I can get a nominal range as Leaf m/kwh * 24. Also, miles driven + Range shown on Leaf. They don't agree. Yet to establish a trend on that ...

all in all, i really dont care what the efficiency is because i do know how much i pay to drive the car and i like it. gas would have to be around $1.65 a gallon for my Prius to even begin to compete

now, this info that not charging to 100% is a bit difficult for me to verify since it would have to average over a period of time to know for sure. i think i will revisit this later during summer after the temperature changes has settled down.

Hello,
My [corrected 5/2] April numbers are in so here they are,

Blink unit shows 257.8 kWh total
Blink network reported 225.5 kWh total (Diff = 32.3 kWh or 12.5% error)
Carwings reported 223.9 kWh consumed
807.9 miles driven.

That makes my “wall to wheels” efficiency 87% and 3.1 miles/kWh, if I believe the blink unit. Those numbers include preconditioning and climate control usage. I subtracted my estimated preconditioning which netted 3.4 miles/kWh. That's approximately 7 miles per SOC bar, the number I use to estimate range. Carwings has it at 4.3 miles/kWh so my Leaf's estimated range is optimistic by 20%.

ON EDIT: April represents pre P1213 reprogramming update.

My mpk from the wall is just about the same as yours.

It loosely appears that warmer weather may give me better results. Right now its hard to tell because the weather simply has not warmed up. But running between 3.3-3.6

DaveinOlyWA said:
It loosely appears that warmer weather may give me better results.

I have the same loose appearance :lol: every time it gets to the 60's and my batt is 5 bars warm, it seems to do better.

**holds hand out for slapping**

here is repost from another thread

ok my figures for April with my "75%" 120 volt charging efficiency.

2697.5 832 565.58
3775.9 1129.01 788.34
1078.4 297.01 222.76
3.63 4.84

so in chart i drove 1078.4 miles in April and from the wall used (tracked by Kill a watt so very accurate and used no other outside charging option) used 297.01 kwh which is 3.63 AMPK. iow, for every kwh from the wall, i went 3.63 miles. this figure is going up with the temperature and we have had less than a weeks worth of spring weather.

now, from the car, (carwings, what is that?) i am averaging 4.84 kwh. now i do most of my driving around town. so that i expect to be high, but once again, if you take that comparison its 75% from the wall.

for all you who are getting similar AMPK and using 240, i would have to assume my highway driving percentage is simply much lower than anyone elses.

Back