What annoys you most about driving an ICE car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2k1Toaster said:
kubel said:
Dislike:
Throttle lag.
Lack of linear power.
Harshness of transmission.
Vibration from motor.
Fumes.

None are problems on the RX450h.

Perhaps. But I have been driving since the mid-1970's and these things have existed in every gasoline vehicle I have ever driven; mine or others'.

Nubo said:
Perhaps. But I have been driving since the mid-1970's and these things have existed in every gasoline vehicle I have ever driven; mine or others'.

Who's fault is it that you buy bad vehicles? The sad truth is that a good vehicle doesn't have these issues.

2k1Toaster said:
Who's fault is it that you buy bad vehicles?.
Well, I know that I'm wrong, so I'll apologize to 2k1Toaster in advance.
I'm sorry that I have an incorrect opinion. :D :p :lol:

That said, I drove the ICE recently (my wife usually drives it) and I'd say the one thing I "noticed" was the noise.
Just the change.. I know the ICE car made noise before and it didn't get any louder since I drove it last.
But I really notice it more....

desiv

2k1Toaster said:
Who's fault is it that you buy bad vehicles? The sad truth is that a good vehicle doesn't have these issues.

If I just paid $47k or so for a new car, I would hope that it "wouldn't have these issues." But most people can't afford $47k for a new car.

And as much as you don't want to admit it, your Lexus emits carbon monoxide and other poisonous gases whenever the ICE is running. That's just the way it is when you burn a fossil fuel. You may not be able to smell it, but carbon monoxide doesn't have an odor, which when combined with the relatively low amount to make it lethal is why it can kill so easily.

Also, looking at your sig line, I can tell you that your Prius does have most if not all these issues. Sorry, but I test drove a new one a couple of years back and was completely turned off by it. When the ICE kicks on the NVH is terrible. It reminded me of a 1980's econocar.

Just yesterday I have to do 260 miles trip and time was an big issue, I use reasonable new ICE vehicle, trip was comfortable and because of time limit I have to drive fast. Only thing I can hear most of the time was wind noise. I am not going to apologize about CO2 emission because even with Tesla I won't be to able to make that trip in the same time. Probably it will take twice much time. I hope one day I will be able to do similar trip driving alternative vehicle, but as of now this is not possible. All of us we should be thankful to have another choice. I guess is fair to say that different modes of transportation complement each other

2k1Toaster said:
Nubo said:

The delightful truth is that even an entry-level EV avoids those issues by default. While ICE designers must go to great lengths to mitigate them. In fact I hold that much of the refinements of the internal combustion engine over the last century have been efforts to make them more like electric motors. I've found I like the real thing best.

EdmondLeaf said:
Just yesterday I have to do 260 miles trip and time was an big issue, I use reasonable new ICE vehicle, trip was comfortable and because of time limit I have to drive fast. Only thing I can hear most of the time was wind noise. I am not going to apologize about CO2 emission because even with Tesla I won't be to able to make that trip in the same time. Probably it will take twice much time. I hope one day I will be able to do similar trip driving alternative vehicle, but as of now this is not possible. All of us we should be thankful to have another choice. I guess is fair to say that different modes of transportation complement each other

No need to apologize. If you're like me, the overwhelming majority of miles you rack up are for commuting and other everyday purposes, and not the occasional long distance road trip. I put 10k/year on the Leaf; last year I barely put 2k on my ICEV, and almost all of that was from trips of greater than 100 miles. The rest of it is monthly "maintenance" drives to make sure everything stays lubricated.

- only 285 miles of range on a full tank
- only 20 mpg highway
- the whine of the supercharger (oh wait, I think I like that!)

Had to take the ICE the other day for a long trip. Hardly ever drive it anymore and it was an adjustment. Really notice the vibrations and noise, sure, but the annoying part was taking my foot off the pedal. No regen at all! Coasts OK, but actually had to brake to slow down. Weird.

Pulling away from a gas station having spent $40.00 and getting a hand that stinks. Out of all the things that I imagined I would hate, I never thought that.

asimba2 said:

I love super charger whines! I had one on my 04 cooper s with a reduction pulley. It wasn't loud enough. I also put straight cut gears in my 78 mini and it sounds amazing with a whine very similar to a supercharger. Think of the sound that most vehicles make in reverse but amped up at highway speed.

That would be a great way to make a performance EV have a sound. Put a 2 speed transmission in with a lower straight cut gear for sport mode and quicker acceleration but let it use the 2nd normal gear for normal mode and lower revs with a quiet highway ride.

Back to the hate part, filled up at Costco this morning and of coarse there was a 15+ min wait with 50+ cars all sitting there idling (my prius in ev mode) and each pump running pretty much continuously. The smell of it all was horrible!

minispeed said:
asimba2 said:

I love super charger whines! I had one on my 04 cooper s with a reduction pulley. It wasn't loud enough.

I love the sound of mine, especially when inbetween two canyon walls. The sound of a proper ICE engine (think multi-valve Inline-6s, V12s and cross-plane V8s) is about the only thing I will miss about ICE vehicles.

asimba2 said:
minispeed said:
asimba2 said:

I love super charger whines! I had one on my 04 cooper s with a reduction pulley. It wasn't loud enough.

I love the sound of mine, especially when inbetween two canyon walls. The sound of a proper ICE engine (think multi-valve Inline-6s, V12s and cross-plane V8s) is about the only thing I will miss about ICE vehicles.

BMW can produce a very nice sound through the speakers to make you feel at home LOL

minispeed said:
...Back to the hate part, filled up at Costco this morning and of coarse there was a 15+ min wait with 50+ cars all sitting there idling (my prius in ev mode) and each pump running pretty much continuously. The smell of it all was horrible!
There are lots of gas stations. Is the savings at Costco really worth the 15+ minute wait? Just curious, don't have Costco here.

We buy virtually all our gas when in town from Costco... We've almost never waited more than 5 minutes for a pump... Costco is typically 20 to 35 cents cheaper than the next cheapest station around here and since we go when we are shopping there anyway, its no big deal and no inconvenience... We also get a 5% rebate from our business Costco Amex so that is an additional significant savings... With the vapor recovery systems mandated for use here, BTW, there is very little odor...

dgpcolorado said:
Is the savings at Costco really worth the 15+ minute wait? Just curious, don't have Costco here.

="minispeed"... I also put straight cut gears in my 78 mini and it sounds amazing with a whine very similar to a supercharger. Think of the sound that most vehicles make in reverse but amped up at highway speed...
Sorry, but IMO that sound probably pales in comparison to the sound of a Jaguar DOHC 3.8 pumping HP through a Moss box...

Whippersnappers...

dgpcolorado said:
Is the savings at Costco really worth the 15+ minute wait? Just curious, don't have Costco here.
I've noticed that Costco seems to have a policy of building new supercenters some distance from established shopping districts, and using discounted gas prices as a loss-leader to draw customers.

Already having driven all the way there for the cheap gas, and some distance from other retailers, the ICEV drivers then find it convenient buy Costco Crap inside the store.

Costco has made plans to move out of the Main shopping district of Redding CA, and build a replacement store~ 4 miles north on I-5, adding gas pumps.

This will mean most shoppers driving ICEVs will have to drive ~ 8 miles further, and burn even more gas, every time they want cheap gas, and/or need to stock up on cheap Chinese products.

Brilliant...

Back