Western USA drought worst in modern era

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
Has always bugged me to use treated potable water to keep the grass green.

Yep, when I lived in Florida there were two water lines. The second line was known as the "purple pipe" and it was just water pumped out of the neighborhood lakes and it was used for all the lawns. Great idea, and I've wondered why its not more common.

smkettner said:
My sprinklers are off. Might be back on if it warms up in the next two weeks.
No direct request to conserve from the water company.
Our water pricing is on a sliding scale that gets very steep for tier 3, 4, 5.

Has always bugged me to use treated potable water to keep the grass green.

Mine have been off for a few weeks, too. The sparse storms have come at just the right time to allow me to keep the system turned off. Rain every five days would work just fine for us.

mwalsh said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
So are people conserving, or is it pretty much BAU ?

I am. Capturing the water that runs before the water in our shower and kitchen sink gets hot. And also moving forward on a rainwater collection system I've been sitting on for a couple of years.
I've thought about one of those circulating pumps to get instant hot water instead of running a bunch down the drain. Save water but waste energy, not sure about that tradeoff.

I believe that despite having 38 million residents, the breakdown for water usage in CA is something like 80% Agriculture, 10% other industry/commercial, and 10% urban/residential [1]. So "IMO", unless the farmers get serious about conserving water, all the individual acts by "city folk" -- however noble &or well-intended -- won't amount to that much (savings).

For anyone interested, here's a good discussion about the drought and the future of water in CA at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco: Fluid State: The Future of Water in California (January 14, 2014)

Anyone interested in western water should read this article from Feb 5, 2014. It's a good primer for California water issues.
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/californias-thirsty-almonds/Content?oid=3830095&showFullText=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have my rain barrel hooked up to the downspout yet, since I haven't decided which diverter to buy, but I managed around 4 gallons collected during an 18 hour period of light to moderate rain yesterday just by leaving the lid off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 54
Welcome back, normal weather.

I drove in the (light) rain yesterday, for the first time since last Spring.

If the forecasts are correct, I can expect to get more rain in the next three days than I have seen over the last nine months!

...Atmospheric River expected to bring heavy precipitation to Northern California

“Heavy” and “rain” are not words that have been used in the same sentence for a long time here in California, but it does appear that–for the first time in 14 months–some truly substantial precipitation is headed for parts of NorCal. I discussed in my last post the seemingly modest potential for an Eastern Pacific atmospheric river to impact California over the upcoming weekend, and in the meantime the numerical forecast models have trended considerably stronger with this event. Current satellite imagery depicts the early stages of what promises to be a significant precipitation event over the weekend.

Atmospheric rivers: a quick overview

“Atmospheric rivers” are long and narrow bands of highly-concentrated water vapor that occur in association with extratropical cylones (i.e. winter storms) throughout the Earth’s middle latitudes, especially over and near ocean basins. These features are often associated with extreme precipitation and flooding, especially along the mountainous western coast of North America (including California). To put the magnitude of these events in context: atmospheric rivers are (in aggregate) responsible for over 90% of global atmospheric water transport between subtropical and mid-latitude regions, and a single strong event is capable of moving an amount of water equivalent to 15 times the flow rate of the Mississippi River!

Those familiar with California weather and climate can attest to the critical role played by atmospheric rivers in driving wintertime precipitation extremes. I’ve noted in the past that California is dependent on just a handful of significant storm events for the majority of its annual precipitation, and this handful is usually associated with atmospheric rivers. California’s great floods in the historical past were almost all associated with atmospheric rivers, including the spectacular event of 1861-1862–which filled much of the Central Valley with floodwaters and inundated the fledgling state capital in Sacramento. Interestingly, scientists recently highlighted the important role atmospheric rivers have played in breaking many of California’s historical droughts...

Short-term forecast through the weekend

Despite the absence of a strong synoptic-scale storm system near California, the extremely moist air associated with the incoming atmospheric river will likely produce heavy rainfall in orographically favored parts of Northern California. In fact, in the coastal mountains and foothills of the Northern Sierra, rain totals by Monday could approach or even locally exceed 6-7 inches. Rain totals will be considerably less heavy (but still impressive, especially by recent standards) along the North Coast and in the Northern Sacramento Valley. The I-80 corridor between San Francisco and Sacramento will be an approximate dividing line between heavy and more moderate precipitation (though the Santa Cruz Mountains could also see rain totals approach or even exceed 4-5 inches). Rain totals at lower elevations in NorCal may be anywhere from 1-4 inches. Southern California, unfortunately, will probably receive only very light rainfall from this event. As is often the case with subtropical moisture plumes/atmospheric rivers, snow levels will be very high for most of this event–well above 8000 feet in most cases.

Rainfall of this magnitude will be capable of causing some modest hydrological issues in some regions, including the possibility for urban and small stream flooding. Main stem rivers will be very unlikely to experience flooding given the record-dry antecedent conditions, but since this will actually be the first heavy precipitation event of the season in most places the potential for 14 months of accumulated debris to clog smaller watercourses could present some problems if rain rates are high on Saturday. Some locally gusty winds may be possible at times this weekend, but in general the lack of a strong surface low will prevent strong winds from causing significant problems.

By Monday, ridging will start to build back in across the Eastern Pacific, but a secondary atmospheric river may brush the far North Coast (near the Oregon border) will some additional significant precipitation early next week. Current indications are that most of California will trend toward drier conditions once again, but the overall pattern in the Eastern Pacific will likely be more progressive that it has been in months. I’ll have more details on this after the weekend storm passes through.

Will this weekend’s heavy rainfall end the drought?

In a word: no. There will likely be beneficial increases in streamflow and runoff into reservoirs following the most intense period of precipitation this weekend, and this storm should (finally!) put an end to the Northern California fire season, at least for a little while. However, as the National Weather Service in Sacramento has helpfully illustrated, the ratio of the amount of precipitation expected to fall this weekend to the long-term precipitation deficit is roughly the same as the volume ratio of a 10-ounce coffee mug to a 5-gallon bucket. So: while this weekend’s atmospheric river may bring more than the proverbial “drop in the bucket,” we still have a very long way to go before our extraordinary drought conditions are substantially mitigated. Stay tuned.
http://www.weatherwest.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an interesting hotspot in the Northern Pacific Ocean which has been there for months. The sea surface temperature anomaly is as high as +7 degrees F. I'm guessing this is somehow related to the drought in CA.

01-sst-a-map.png

Here is a link to a brief discussion including some animations of it over the past few months: The Hotspot in the North Pacific

Yes, what the anomaly does is reduce the temperature gradient. In its simplest sense, a reduced temperature gradient can act to reduce the speed of the jet stream, and storms dissipate before reaching the coast.

The opposite condition (when there's an El Nino and the North Pacific is cooler than normal) increases the temperature gradient and allows a very powerful jet stream to extend all the way to the coast. Some of California's wettest years are during El Ninos (like 1983).

Well, ~10 days of ~normal North California winter weather, but the outlook is fairly dry for the next ~10 days.

Want to see the drought in images from NASA?

The first was captured on Feb. 15, 2013, when the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada mountains (which run from upper middle to lower right) was 72 percent of normal for the date. That was low and worrisome.

On that date, a little less than 50 percent of California overall was suffering from some degree of drought, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. None of the state was in extreme or exceptional drought, the highest two categories.

Fed in large measure by irrigation water, the vast Central Valley just to the west of the mountains — one of the prime agricultural regions of the nation — was still relatively green.

Flash forward a year to this past weekend — Feb. 16. That’s the second image in the animation. The snowpack in the Sierra is visibly diminished. As of today, measurements show that it stands at just 26 percent of normal. This is despite recent storms. (If you’d like to check on current and past California snowpack conditions, go here.)

And as of Feb. 11 of the current year, the Drought Monitor found 95 percent of California to be drought, with 70 percent the state categorized as in extreme or exceptional drought.

As a result, vegetation throughout the state is suffering, including in the Central Valley. NASA scientists have used data from the MODIS instrument on the Terra and Aqua satellites to map where greening from plant growth is below normal for this time of year...

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/2014/02/17/california-drought-bad-to-worse-in-satellite-images/#.UwJ-Jnnbg5w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Current sierra Snowpack percentages are here:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see the lower-altitude North region is farther below normal than the rest of the State.

Take a look At Mt Shasta Ski park's webcams showing a lot of dirt from ~5,500 to ~7,000 ft.

http://skipark.com/the-mountain/cams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSSP states it historically recieves ''275 inches of annual snowfall".

Other than a few days of operation in late December (on mostly artificial snow) it never opened this season, and is unlikely to re-open until (at least) next December.

If you read "The End of Snow" in the NYT earlier this month, you know how dismal the future looks for California's downhill ski industry, and Shasta, being the lowest altitude resort, may be the first one to close permanently.

edatoakrun said:
Take a look At Mt Shasta Ski park's webcams showing a lot of dirt from ~5,500 to ~7,000 ft.

http://skipark.com/the-mountain/cams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSSP states it historically recieves ''275 inches of annual snowfall".

Other than a few days of operation in late December (on mostly artificial snow) it never opened this season, and is unlikely to re-open until (at least) next December.

If you read "The End of Snow" in the NYT earlier this month, you know how dismal the future looks for California's downhill ski industry, and Shasta, being the lowest altitude resort, may be the first one to close permanently.

It does not look good when in the middle of February it says this:

SEASONAL OPERATIONS:

Opening Day: Soon TBA
Closing Day: Mid April 2014

palmermd said:
...It does not look good when in the middle of February it says this:

SEASONAL OPERATIONS:

Opening Day: Soon TBA
Closing Day: Mid April 2014

They could open early for the biking season.

But they may have to cancel re-schedule the Slush Bike and Hike Race, due to lack of slush...

Mountain Biking/Summer

Lift access trails for all levels!

Operation Days: July 3rd through July 6th; Saturdays through August 31st
Operation Times: 9am – 4pm
Lift ticket: $25

Food and drinks available.

Three clinics: July 6th General, July 13th Women’s and August 3rd Youth

1200 ft. decent downhill course, two 700 vertical side by side flow and freestyle trails from the top of Marmot to the base. In addition we have a pump track, skill course and over ten miles of single-track/road trails inside the park.

Events:
Slush Bike and Hike Race — May 11th
Volcano Downhill and Dual Slalom Race — July 20th
Volcano Mud Run — July 27th (no mountain biking)
Fall Cycle Cross race — October 5th

http://skipark.com/the-mountain/mountain-bikingsummer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

90210 was asking how I was capturing the pre-hot runoff from the shower and our kitchen sink. Easy...I stick a bucket under the shower stream. And my DW has a plastic tub (which I suspect was an old storage box) that she sticks in the sink.

Though I'm using the shower water to wash my cars and DW is using her kitchen water to water plants (in the absence of any water in our rainwater barrel), it is also a good source of emergency drinking water, if you purchase a suitable container to transfer it to/store it in.

In what condition are California water harvesting laws?

http://rainwaterharvesting.tamu.edu/
http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/innovativewater/rainwater/docs.asp

Texas manual on rainwater harvesting can be found above, or from the Washington state 'mirror' ;)
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/hq/pdf/texas_rw_harvestmanual_3rdedition.pdf

Water from the Sky
http://earthshipstore.com/Earthship-books/earthships-book-water-from-the-sky

Rainwater harvesting for drylands and beyond
http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/
Brad Lancaster's in Tucson and is known around the world as the go-to guy for water management...

It's time to remember what we used to know.

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2010/06/18/the-permaculture-approach-to-water/
In some ways permaculture has a “post-modern” sensibility in that it borrows from ancient farming techniques and indigenous knowledge while also drawing from the most up-to-date understanding and knowledge of geology, biology, physics and systems ecology. In an era of increasingly expensive energy and declining resources, maybe it’s finally time to abandon the “brute force” approach to controlling nature and look to more elegant, whole-systems design strategies such as permaculture as we attempt to envision a more sustainable future.

AndyH said:
In what condition are California water harvesting laws?
Looks like it may be legal. Anyone know for sure?

http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnews...esidents-capture-use-harvested-rainwater.aspx

Californians may now legally capture and use rainwater harvested from rooftops. Departing from Western states' long-standing tradition of making it illegal to capture and use precipitation based on the prior appropriation doctrine, the California Legislature enacted and Governor Brown signed the "Rainwater Capture Act of 2012" [2012 Cal. Stats. ch. 537, Sec. 2.] (the Act). The Act exempts the capture and use of rainwater from rooftops from the State Water Resources Control Board's (SWRCB) permitting authority over appropriations of water. This development affords residential users and private and public entities with a new source of on-site water supply, which should reduce reliance on potable water for landscaping needs and provide a recharge benefit to underlying groundwater aquifers.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB1750

Looks like there's at least some ability to use grey water as well:
http://greywateraction.org/content/requirements-no-permit-systems-california

Unfortunately, dry ground tends to be hydrophobic and sheds rainwater. This will tend to make this week's coming rains that much more damaging.

RegGuheert said:
Unfortunately, dry ground tends to be hydrophobic and sheds rainwater. This will tend to make this week's coming rains that much more damaging.

It can be, but there's enough tree, shrub and grass cover over most central and northern California to allow for good infiltration into the soil.

If this predicted hydrograph for the Napa River, near Napa, CA is any indication, I don't think they have anything to worry about.

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=APCC1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RegGuheert said:

2nd that notion. I fear we are in for flash flooding and mud slides

Back