Vacaville L3 Chargepoint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
So they are sending the appropriate j1772 negotiation to get this power? Something you would expect from a gypsy motorhome?

Looks to me like they are using one of these adapters.
http://www.tucsonev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a good example of why all EV charge stations will end up as pay for use. Its just a matter of time.

KJD

All you need to "negotiate" J1772 to get raw power is a resistor and a diode.

You can't plug a normal RV into it, even a big one with a NEMA 14-50, as there is no neutral. This old 70's Van-Based RV definitely can not handle 240v!

You can't "sneak" neutral from ground either, as that will trip the GFCI.

As for the QC, officially only PG&E can turn it on. If a PG&E rep is there to supervise, they'll let you use it.

This facility is open to the public and has a HUGE solar array that I'm sure never even gets 1% used on EVSE's at this point, which is probably why nobody cares about the RV.

-Phil

OK. So here is the latest from Brian McLean.

Hello Mr. Wills.
I am in receipt of your email (below). Briefly, this project is being reviewed by the City. In addition, I am conducting a review of any potential synergy that can be obtained through this action by the City’s Fleet program. However, please note that the dissolution of RDA has shifted the priorities of many cities across California, including that of Vacaville which lost its RDA on February 1, 2012. In terms of timeline for this particular project, I cannot offer you any hard dates or milestones at this juncture. I would advise that you check back with me in a few months, perhaps I will have more then.
Thank you.

rawhog said:
OK. So here is the latest from Brian McLean.

Hello Mr. Wills.
I am in receipt of your email (below). Briefly, this project is being reviewed by the City. In addition, I am conducting a review of any potential synergy that can be obtained through this action by the City’s Fleet program. However, please note that the dissolution of RDA has shifted the priorities of many cities across California, including that of Vacaville which lost its RDA on February 1, 2012. In terms of timeline for this particular project, I cannot offer you any hard dates or milestones at this juncture. I would advise that you check back with me in a few months, perhaps I will have more then.
Thank you.

Thank you for your efforts. However any communication that contains the word "synergy," is unlikely to provide any results therein, at least in my experience.

Might I suggest that you write to Mr. McLean and see if the synergy could be that the city of Vacaville lease the unit to the bum living in his motor home near it. Convert the motor home to a Food Truck and we got some bidness going on here...

Gas for your stomach, electrons for your ride...

rawhog said:
However, please note that the dissolution of RDA has shifted the priorities of many cities across California, including that of Vacaville which lost its RDA on February 1, 2012.
RDA?

Clippy said:
Thank you for your efforts. However any communication that contains the word "synergy," is unlikely to provide any results therein, at least in my experience.

Might I suggest that you write to Mr. McLean and see if the synergy could be that the city of Vacaville lease the unit to the bum living in his motor home near it. Convert the motor home to a Food Truck and we got some bidness going on here...

Gas for your stomach, electrons for your ride...
OK, this is my early vote for "Post of the Month/Humor Category" :lol:

I really wish I could actually use the QC. I think in the meantime while PG&E and Vacaville figure out their bureaucratic synergy, why let it sit there and go to waste?

Okay, now for the fun stuff... any reference to the word synergy automatically gets a link to In Good Company. Only a clip, but anyone who hates the word should watch the movie.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqbGbU8f8o[/youtube]

Ingineer said:
The cabinet on the QC has a lock.

-Phil
I know someone who has a key ... all he needs to know is the type of lock
;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_key" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally some hopefully good news.

"Hi Bob. I just got off the phone with a rep from PG&E. Looks like Eaton is going to gift a new charger to the City of Vacaville.
The rep is pulling the paperwork together now and will get back to me by the end of the week.

That being said, my opinion is that the City will approve this and give the approval to install the new charger.
I’ll keep you posted. Considering the situation yesterday, this is a pleasant turn-around."

rawhog said:
Finally some hopefully good news.

Thank you for the news!

I was just in Vacaville this weekend, using one of the Chargepoints at the Outlet Mall. If this comes about, it will help solve the upcoming problem of Volt/Plug-in Prius-ed chargers.

Yes, this is awesome news!

Occasionally one of the J1772's at the park-N-ride are ICE'd, and one is currently RV'd, but there's always at least one available when I go by.

-Phil

Still unable to get response from PG&E. However I did get the following from The city.

"Bob the maintenance cost of the charger falls to the City. As the City is experiencing a significant fiscal challenge, we continue to evaluate the cost of the charger and impact to our maintenance division budget."

From the Vacaville L2 thread:

"It is unfortunate that Adam Egbert and Ulric Kwan of PG&E, and Brian Mclean of the City of Vacaville have stopped responding to querys regarding this QC. Right after Brian told me that the city was being gifted a new UL listed QC from Eaton, The guys from PG&E stated that they were unaware the Eaton unit had gotten UL listing (despite the fact that it was fairly well covered in the news media). And that they were aledgedly in converstions with the city to open the TEPCO unit for public use. This after they have been claiming that they could not allow public use of it do to lack of UL listing, and that they had abandoned efforts to get the TEPCO UL listed."

This just in.

Hello Bob,

I have just received word that the City of Vacaville has accepted a proposal to replace the DC charger with another one that is UL-certified and that the installation will be completed in the next few months.

Best,
Ulric

Latest posts

Back