Vacaville L3 Chargepoint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phoenix said:
...Also, says Tesla in Fremont has a fast charger of some sort...

Fairly certain this is not open to the public.
They are developing their own standard, and are rumored to have a prototype for use in testing their own Model S fast charge capability.
I wouldn't count on being able to charge a LEAF there.

...Brian told me that it was very unlikely that Vacaville will put up any general fund money to upgrade to J1772's or to get the DC L3 charger online for the public. Given the recession, this is an unlikely scenario for most small to mid-sized cities in California...

Does anyone know if Vacaville is still offering LEAF purchase incentives?
http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eMaS:
Already made arrangements to come up to Placer County area the day before. Will we still be able to use the Quick Charge at Nissan Technical Center on Oct. 22nd so that we can experience the Quick Charge and have enough charge to return to the Bay Area?

TEG said:
http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone buying a LEAF been able to get $6K from that program?
Nissan touted it as a LEAF buying perk, but the Vacaville web site looks way out of date:
http://www.cityofvacaville.com/departments/public_works/evprogram.php?#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They talk of EV1 and RAV4EV purchases, and I think the listed contact (Ed Huestis) doesn't work for the city of Vacaville anymore.

TEG said:
TEG said:

Has anyone buying a LEAF been able to get $6K from that program?
Nissan touted it as a LEAF buying perk, but the Vacaville web site looks way out of date:
http://www.cityofvacaville.com/departments/public_works/evprogram.php?#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They talk of EV1 and RAV4EV purchases, and I think the listed contact (Ed Huestis) doesn't work for the city of Vacaville anymore.

That is correct. Ed Huestis retired. The new guy is Brian Mclean. I conversed with both of them and was told that the LEAF does NOT qualify for the grant. Only car that does is the CNG Civic.

palmermd said:
EVDrive said:
As far as where to put the DC fast chargers in the bay Area, I think Bart stations would be a great place as they have high voltage and plenty of parking spaces. Plus Bart is a public entity. No PG&E BS.

BART is an excellent place for L1 and L2. Charge slowly while you are parked all day off at work. The question is if you are taking public transit, how far was your drive to get there. I suspect that most BART users drive under 20 miles to get to the station. The charge stations are not needed in that case.

I have an unusual case of a 55 mile drive to the nearest BART station, so I would love to see some L2 charge stations at the Dublin/Pleasanton station.

As far as locating a DCQC station at a BART station, that would be fine, but not in a parking space. Only a stop and go need.

L3 stations will be welcome wherever they show up along major freeways, especially spots between distant population centers.

BART is a good place for L2 EVSE's. If you're caught running out of juice due to unforeseen circumstances, pulling into a BART station and catching a ride the rest of the way home is a nicer option than calling for a tow. You can always BART back later for your left Leaf. Also, everyone knows where to find BART. If all the stations sported EVSE's, the oft mentioned range anxiety would dissipate, at least in the bay area.

gregoryjward said:
palmermd said:
EVDrive said:
As far as where to put the DC fast chargers in the bay Area, I think Bart stations would be a great place as they have high voltage and plenty of parking spaces. Plus Bart is a public entity. No PG&E BS.

BART is an excellent place for L1 and L2. Charge slowly while you are parked all day off at work. The question is if you are taking public transit, how far was your drive to get there. I suspect that most BART users drive under 20 miles to get to the station. The charge stations are not needed in that case.

I have an unusual case of a 55 mile drive to the nearest BART station, so I would love to see some L2 charge stations at the Dublin/Pleasanton station.

As far as locating a DCQC station at a BART station, that would be fine, but not in a parking space. Only a stop and go need.

L3 stations will be welcome wherever they show up along major freeways, especially spots between distant population centers.

BART is a good place for L2 EVSE's. If you're caught running out of juice due to unforeseen circumstances, pulling into a BART station and catching a ride the rest of the way home is a nicer option than calling for a tow. You can always BART back later for your left Leaf. Also, everyone knows where to find BART. If all the stations sported EVSE's, the oft mentioned range anxiety would dissipate, at least in the bay area.

reply I got from BART when inquiring about placing charger in terminal stations and the one BART station in San Francisco with public parking. Seems like there's a disconnect between current state of EV adoption and BART's perception. The experience from 10 years ago with the RAV4 and Ranger and EV1 still seems to permeate his response.

I will share your message with the department overseeing the parking
management program at BART but I cannot suggest that there will be any
movement in that direction. Please understand that we had previously had a
multiple of variations in electrical vehicle charging at a number of our
stations and the result was less than positive. For one, the spaces
(pulled from the limited total space at lots) were seldom utilized on a
regular basis and non-electric vehicles - operated by those who also rode
BART regularly and supported service through all appropriate taxes and
assessments - were barred from using these "electric vehicle only" parking.
Secondly, there was no universal standard of plug or fitting so the
potential was that if one drove an electric vehicle to a station, they
might not be able to recharge as there was no appropriate connection. Then
was the issue of how to effect payment for the energizing of the vehicle
while there (as the cost of supplying power to a private vehicle should not
be to the account of the public). Furthermore, even though you suggest
that the cost of the charger might be subsidized by federal and local
governments, I might think this infers the cost of the initial procurement
only. Prior chargers at stations experienced wear/damage/vandalism and the
District hasn't the resources to install or maintain such amenities.
I do recognize the limitations of the range of electric vehicles and
understand the concerns of those who drive them. Perhaps if any relatively
significant demand develops for this service in one specific location, it
may generate interest in a for-profit enterprise near a transit station
that may sell charging and other electric vehicle service.

The parking lot adjacent to the Glen Park BART station is different than
all other BART station parking as it is under control of the city of San
Francisco.

yoyofella said:
reply I got from BART when inquiring about placing charger in terminal stations and the one BART station in San Francisco with public parking. Seems like there's a disconnect between current state of EV adoption and BART's perception. The experience from 10 years ago with the RAV4 and Ranger and EV1 still seems to permeate his response.

That's a very negative and disappointing response for sure. The only positive is that they are being honest.

The complaint regarding maintenance is very disappointing in my mind. Presumably they agonize over the cost of maintaining trains, or the surface of the parking lot, the roof on the buildings. Vandals tear them up too. How awful for them that they should be responsible for maintaining building and equipment that belong to them. EV Charger maintenance/vandalism will surly overshadow other maintenance costs and bankrupt them. (NOT!). What a heavy burden for them to sustain. My heart bleeds..... NOT.

Goodness gracious.

Ingineer said:
Here are my experiences with the Vacaville QC last Saturday (October 22nd).

-Phil

Phil, I just wonder how much that TEPCO unit is worth on the market now considering that Nissan has a L3 for $10k.

Some months ago, a bunch of us were toying with the idea about a Co-op structure to buy out that TEPCO unit from the city of Vacaville and host it somewhere and co-op members can run the L3 for private use.

I think you have to buy it from PG&E. Vacaville just leases the space to PG&E and BAAQMD gave PG&E a grant to install it. Keep going with the coop idea. We should do a group buy of the Nissan QC if anyone knows how to get that started.

Quick update. I stopped by the Vacaville P&R lot this past Saturday because from a distance the out of service signs were gone from the QC. The QC is still not working. However, they have upgraded all but one of the legacy chargers to J1772. In fact. Some industrious gypsy in a motor home rigged a J1772 receptacle to the shore power connection on their rig and now have 240 volt service. This is the same people that previously used the 120 outlet.I guess the can get away with it because they parked on the opposite side from the designated EV spots and stretched the cord to reach.

rawhog said:
I guess the can get away with it because they parked on the opposite side from the designated EV spots and stretched the cord to reach.
What kind of signage covers the parking lot? Of course I suppose even if the lot was covered by AB475 for example this individual may still be in compliance since they are for all intents connected for charging. It does sound like a poster child example of the issues of free public charging however.

I stopped in today to check things out. QC still intact and operational, but shut off. It's clean with no peanut butter, grafitti, or even any "This charger no longer available for use" signage:

pic

Also, The "RV Guy" is still living in the parking lot with his free 240v 32A power:

pic

He must have a 240v to 120v transformer, either that or he's running an industrial 240v heater.

-Phil

Electric4Me said:
Ingineer said:
He must have a 240v to 120v transformer, either that or he's running an industrial 240v heater.

-Phil
The RVs I have used all plugged in to either 240v or 120v... They were happiest on 240v.
RV is either 30a 120v or 50a 120/240v service. None in the US can use straight 240v from an EVSE.
Although RVers are prone to have custom mods for any situation that includes free service.

Very easy to have a 240v battery charger and run all from 12v/propane or an inverter. Step down transformer would be reasonable also. I would knock on the door and ask.

Ok, so here's my question: sure, it's turned off, but what does it take to turn it on? I assume there's a master switch inside the unit maybe? Is it locked? Do we just need a screwdriver or wrench? :lol:

smkettner said:
Electric4Me said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
The RVs I have used all plugged in to either 240v or 120v... They were happiest on 240v.
RV is either 30a 120v or 50a 120/240v service. None in the US can use straight 240v from an EVSE.
Although RVers are prone to have custom mods for any situation that includes free service.

Very easy to have a 240v battery charger and run all from 12v/propane or an inverter. Step down transformer would be reasonable also. I would knock on the door and ask.

So they are sending the appropriate j1772 negotiation to get this power? Something you would expect from a gypsy motorhome?

Latest posts

Back