Updated information from ECOtality San Diego 5/26/2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee_Slurry

Andy Hoskinson, San Diego Area Manager for ECOtality, was in Encinitas tonight on the panel at the E-Mobility event.

Not surprisingly, the audience had several questions about ECOtality and their failure to deliver on the public charging infrastructure that was promised in October.

I took some quick notes, as Andy did provide some new information that I haven't seen posted. Maybe some of the other attendees could correct or add to this.

• June 15 or June 16 will be ECOtalities "hard launch"(?) of public chargers, with an L2 installation at Balboa Park.
  • There are indeed only three existing L2 chargers, at one location (Lodge at Torrey Pines)
  • They have approx 300 "contracts" in place now.
  • "50 public L2 chargers by the end of June"
  • "100 L2 chargers by July"
  • Installations at an increasing pace in July/August.
  • 300 chargers by end of August
  • Still sticking with the 1,450 public L2 commitment by end of 2011
  • First DC Quick charging installations in "late August/September".
  • Not sure about the location of the first DC Quick charge location, but it will be at an ARCO in Escondido, Chula Vista, El Cajon, Santee, or San Diego.
  • The DC chargers are going through UL approval now, but have not yet been certified.
  • ECOtality financials look bad now because DOE reimbursement can take up to a year after costs.
  • Andy now drives a LEAF, so he's acutely aware of how limiting it is to have only trickle charging available.

Compares with my mental notes. The one other one that stood out in my mind was his response to Tony around when info will be available. Andy said that an update to the EV Project website with locations was "scheduled for July".

On a side note, great seeing on the MLF people there :) (..and Tony's license plate in it's proper spot on his leaf vs. around his neck :) )

Glad to hear Andy's news...I couldn't make it tonight, but wished I was there....How were the cars on display?

LEAFs predominated, but a WIDE spectrum:
1. bicycles
2. tricycles with kid-carriers
3. scooters
4. golf cart type NEV
5. Prius converted to PHEV
6. LEAF
7. Other (sorry, I missed the types)
7. Tesla

Also two Mini Es and a NiMH Rav4, two Teslas.

Great to see and chat with several MNLers, as it always is. Several recent deliveries and a lot of excited owners.

Overall, though, the spectrum of EVs on display was underwhelming, especially given BMW's supposed involvement.

Boomer23 said:
Also two Mini Es and a NiMH Rav4, two Teslas.
Overall, though, the spectrum of EVs on display was underwhelming, especially given BMW's supposed involvement.
I was whelmed.

Seriously -- largest collection of EVs I've ever seen. (outside the MNL Air Force surveillance photos of Port of Long Beach.)

The number of smart determined people working on transportation changes is really encouraging.

LEAFencinitasIMG_0753.jpg

LEAFencinitasIMG_0754.jpg

LEAFencinitasIMG_0755.jpg

LEAFencinitasIMG_0756.jpg

LEAFencinitasIMG_0757.jpg

LEAFencinitasIMG_0758.jpg

LEAFencinitasIMG_0759.jpg

Andy Hoskinson, San Diego Area Manager for ECOtality. The guy to his left is the guy who sends out your $5000 California checks (sorry, forgot his name):

LEAFencinitasIMG_0761.jpg

Nice meeting some of you there.
Must have been good karma as my Blink was installed this morning and then Carwings finally opened up with a VIN#
Shaun

On the panel were
  • Matt Tucker, Executive Director of the North County Transit District (including Coaster & Sprinter)
  • Andy Hoskinson, ECOtality / EVProject / Blink San Diego region
  • Ann Tartre from the Equinox Center (sustainable growth and regional planning)
  • David Almeida, Program Manager, California Center for Sustainable Energy & CARB CVRP administrator
  • Elizabeth Taylor, local resident and Mini E Test Driver.

Peder Norby, SD County Planning Commissioner and Mini-E driver, was also present.
Carris Rhodes of Downtown Encinitas MainStreet Assoc (DEMA) was the excellent host & MC who put together the well-run event.

Did I miss anyone?

Well, I was there. Just kidding, but I wish the MNL folks would make up a name tag or some such (Postit note to the forehead if necessary) so we'd know who we were talking to. I wrote mine on my "EVIP" tag, but it didn't catch on. And giving me your real name doesn't help :D

I'm thrilled that Shaun's got a VIN! Now the action begins. Every time they change your date now means someone scanned your car, checked a box on a form, talked to the computer, etc.

What I got from the Ecotality discussion was that putting in a charge station isn't as easy as looking around for a place to stick it, and putting it in. They have to find someone who'll have it, negotiate with the prospective host, and sometimes the host is footing some of the bill. That's how it gets complicated. BTW, we heard Andy saying how he expected to be able to get home on his remaining charge, but wasn't sure. So we offered him a boost from our L2-around-the-corner, but he said he expected to be OK. After a few more questions, I determined he's never seen the LEAF's "reserve" behavior below the 8 mile mark, and assured him he'd have no trouble after all.

I expected 6 or 10 cars from the EV Association of S.D., but strangely, no one showed. They have quite an assortment of converted-to-EV examples. You've seen them if you've been to an event at the Center for Sustainable Energy.

gbshaun said:
Nice meeting some of you there.
Likewise - but the only person I recognized was Gary(gid) (pleasure to meet you Gary). Didn't really speak to many other people in depth except the fellow w/the black Tesla (beautiful car!). I was the dark haired guy w/2 kids in tow if anyone else noticed.

gbshaun said:
Must have been good karma as my Blink was installed this morning and then Carwings finally opened up with a VIN#
I'm jealous, but I did get a shiny Blink installed by Sunwest this morning, too. The guys did a great job w/the install.

Edit: OOPS! Indeed, my Carwings tab has opened up (but still says month of June hence the confusion) and I was able to see my VIN! Couldn't actually activate Carwings like the others, though. I do recall this happening to others when the Carwings tab opens in the past...

gbarry42 said:
Just kidding, but I wish the MNL folks would make up a name tag or some such (Postit note to the forehead if necessary) so we'd know who we were talking to. I wrote mine on my "EVIP" tag, but it didn't catch on. And giving me your real name doesn't help :D
Yeah - that's a great idea - definitely needed - I didn't recognize anyone else - who was the guy w/the red LEAF who showed off their modded EVSE on the back wall? Hi! :)

gbarry42 said:
I expected 6 or 10 cars from the EV Association of S.D., but strangely, no one showed. They have quite an assortment of converted-to-EV examples. You've seen them if you've been to an event at the Center for Sustainable Energy.
Yeah, me too - didn't see any of those cars like you usually do at these types of public gatherings.

Good to see a LOT of LEAFs though - couldn't stick around too long because of the hungry kids and followed the Stellar Solar silver LEAF out and had EV envy!

I do think that the venue could have been better - underground parking lot leaves something to be desired. Something more visible would have been nice (Moonlight Beach parking lot anyone? Though it might have gotten a bit chilly there in the evening).

Grooundloop, thanks for posting the summary of Andy's comments. We three from the OC had to hit the road early, and I felt bad missing the opportunity to hear Andy's responses to questions that I knew many of us wanted to ask.

We all appreciate your summary.

uspearls said:
Thanks for the great review - very interesting. I can't see the Torrey Pines chargers in the LEAF even after an update - did this come up?

They said that the next update to your Carwings database will be July.

There should be about 50-100 public L2's in it then.

uspearls said:
Thanks for the great review - very interesting. I can't see the Torrey Pines chargers in the LEAF even after an update - did this come up?
ECOtality doesn't like to talk about the Torry Pines EVSEs.

They were installed under duress for a Toyota press photo-op. They're not actually commercial units, and in a very un-ECOtality like move, there was no Press Release.

They're not on any EVProject map, no press, and the only description of the first public Blink charger is actually here on MNL. Weird, isn't it?

Since it's been two months since this event, I thought I'd bump this post and review the progress against Andy's statements.

• June 15 or June 16 will be ECOtalities "hard launch"(?) of public chargers, with an L2 installation at Balboa Park. CORRECT. Good Event. +10 chargers.
  • "50 public L2 chargers by the end of June" NOPE. None after Balboa.
  • "100 L2 chargers by July" Nope. No new installs in July.
  • Installations at an increasing pace in July/August.Decreasing pace to zero
  • 300 chargers by end of August Three weeks to go
  • Still sticking with the 1,450 public L2 commitment by end of 2011 Not any more.. reduced to 1,000
  • First DC Quick charging installations in "late August/September". Holding out hope

Back