Upcoming call to Aerovironment about DC quick chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
How much would it cost to buy a single CHAdeMO connector?

How many would a person have to buy to get a decent price?
I can't reveal pricing because of a Yazaki NDA, but I can tell you they are thousands!

-Phil

muus said:
No wonder Tesla went with their own design! Tesla's charge port looks like it is designed by competent engineers using the KISS principal, not by committee.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...harging-equipment-redesign-for-redesigns-sake

I think the difference is the typical over-engineered commercial design of J-1772 etc - and "consumer electronics" design that Tesla used.

J-1772/chademo will probably survice a car running over it - probably not so the Tesla one.

Just got off the phone with Eaton DC charger folks. They only sell through distributors, so more phone calls needed.

Just getting the basic info on this stuff is frustrating !!

TonyWilliams said:
Just got off the phone with Eaton DC charger folks. They only sell through distributors, so more phone calls needed.

Just getting the basic info on this stuff is frustrating !!

Keep in mind Eaton doesn't make them either, they just buy them from Japan.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
That's ok if Nissan has "Stuff" Patented, we just will avoid using any of that "Stuff", and instead use "Things". =)
Perfect! I knew you'd have it covered... :lol:

Ingineer said:

-Phil

Which is why I didn't waste much time with my sad story of tweaking the DC chargers a bit. They just take their cut.

Ecotality can't sell anything prior to Jan 1, 2012.

And that's all 3, so far, UL listed units.

TonyWilliams said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Which is why I didn't waste much time with my sad story of tweaking the DC chargers a bit. They just take their cut.

Ecotality can't sell anything prior to Jan 1, 2012.

And that's all 3, so far, UL listed units.

Ecotality is supposed to install 20 FREE DC QCs in the Bay Area as part of the EV Project which expires end of this year 2011. Is that why we have seen NONE so far? Waiting for the clock to run out? The 20 free QCs need to be grandfathered in even if installation sites may not all have been identified.

Phoenix said:
Ecotality is supposed to install 20 FREE DC QCs in the Bay Area as part of the EV Project which expires end of this year 2011. Is that why we have seen NONE so far? Waiting for the clock to run out? The 20 free QCs need to be grandfathered in even if installation sites may not all have been identified.
I think the installs can happen after the date so long as the contracts get done in time. There's no reason to think, though, that all the promised L2 and QC will ever get installed. The DOE contract is running out, and Ecotality only gets paid for the ones they actually install. If they fail, and the DOE contract doesn't get extended somehow, the DOE simply keeps the money and we don't get the infrastructure.

Ingineer said:
KJD said:
How much would it cost to buy a single CHAdeMO connector?

How many would a person have to buy to get a decent price?
I can't reveal pricing because of a Yazaki NDA, but I can tell you they are thousands!

-Phil
High? . . . or Low (put another way - feel free to PM)
;)

Phoenix said:

The plan for San Diego was (up to) 30 DC chargers.

They seem to think that the installs don't need to be complete by 31 Dec 2011, but instead some other level of "compliance" with the rules.

We might get a SINGLE DC charger in the south part of the county for 2011.

The AM/PM gas station installations are mum, it seems. There's one other serious potential site east of downtown that I'm aware of.

TonyWilliams said:
30 is over-kill to start - 4 in the right spots would be more than sufficient for most situations

I5 in Oceanside/Carlsbad for trips to OC/LA and back
I5/UTC area and I15/Mira Mesa for cross-county trips where you might come up short
I15 in Escondido for trips to Temecula

Bonus points for one in Ramona, I8 heading east, downtown SD.

That's 7 total and would cover most of the county.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
30 is over-kill to start - 4 in the right spots would be more than sufficient for most situations

I5 in Oceanside/Carlsbad for trips to OC/LA and back
I5/UTC area and I15/Mira Mesa for cross-county trips where you might come up short
I15 in Escondido for trips to Temecula

Bonus points for one in Ramona, I8 heading east, downtown SD.

That's 7 total and would cover most of the county.
Maybe I'm talking crazy here - but Orange County population is (just barely) greater than S.D. county - and yet you'd pile all 30 imaginary QC's in your back yard? Yea . . . . remind me to NOT let you divvy up the marbles :roll:
So ... now that the "doesn't make any sense" plan was aired - the sensible (fantasy) thing would be to plant 'em all spread around the county borders. Escondido - San Clemente - Glendale - Santa Monica - Norwalk - Corona - Long Beach - Oxnard etc. Oh yea - even one on San Diego. Just a thought, since we seem to be talking non existent QC's anyway

hill said:
Maybe I'm talking crazy here - but Orange County population is (just barely) greater than S.D. county - and yet you'd pile all 30 imaginary QC's in your back yard? Yea . . . . remind me to NOT let you divvy up the marbles :roll:
It wasn't OUR plan, those were Ecotality's numbers. Personally, I'd rather have the fairly well placed ChargePoints you guys have enjoyed for some time than the very recent and poorly placed Blinks (and the imaginary QCs) we've ended up with.

hill said:
Yeah, you're talking crazy. :p I suggested that a small fraction of the 30 is required for initial deployment - and the first one on my list is one will be on the way to/from The OC. Never mind that the 30 number (as davewill said) wasn't my number to begin with.

Back