Unplug Level 1 Charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep mine plugged in all the time, except when leaving on a trip outside of town (which likely won't happen any more due to a number of factors). However, I DO unplug every time I leave town or there is a thunderstorm. I had some sensitive electronics fried when living down south, so now I unplug. I would imagine that in Atlanta you have some significant thunderstorms and power surges.

powersurge said:
... If it makes you more comfy, use a 15 amp timer that only goes on at the times you want and there is not physical wear on the outlet... Get a level 2 charger, and forget all that headache..
If anyone decides to use a timer, set the schedule so that it won't interrupt a charge in progress. The car will see it as an error, and interrupting the power while the circuit is heavily loaded will be hard on the timer. Turning the power on while the car is plugged in is no big deal as the L1 EVSE takes a couple of seconds to boot up, and then the charge starts normally,

Also, getting an L2 EVSE doesn't help vampire losses...but honestly the vampire load on the L1 just isn't big enough to worry about. I use a timer on my wife's PIP, but that's to take advantage of Super Off-Peak billing, not to save vampire losses.

Back