TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
apvbguy said:
yes they do, and it is incumbent on them to come up with the stock, shorting stock can become very expensive under certain circumstances.
dgpcolorado said:
The brokerage would just find someone else to borrow shares from. Your sell transaction should be seamless.
Hence my "robbing Peter to pay Paul" metaphor. In order to give me (Paul) my share back, they have to take it from someone else (Peter). Anyhoo...

I don't understand why you keep using the term "rob".
They are not robbing from anyone. They are borrowing the shares and, at least in my case, paying me for doing so.
If I decide I want to sell my shares, I do so. The broker then borrows the shares from someone else and starts paying them for the borrowed shares.

apvbguy said:
the analogy is somewhat right, it is the verbiage that is wrong, nobody is being robbed, there is always guarantees and compensation
True. It is a colloquialism after all...

OK, let me be clear. I don't mean literally robbing. And I've called it a metaphor and colloquialism when the proper term is an idiom. One that apparently nobody here is familiar with. :?

The idiom "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is defined as "to take from one merely to give to another; to discharge one debt by incurring another." Which is exactly what's going on here. K? 'Nuff said.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/rob-peter-to-pay-paul.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to put in perspective there are people trying to find out how to lend the shares. The interest rate is quite high, BTW.

TonyWilliams said:
Tesla Motors Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA - May 17 4:36pm ET
I can't afford the car, but I am glad I bought the stock when it first went public. With the additional offering I would reccomend another invest and hold strategy to all interested parties. It may seem high right now, but Apple stock seemed high at one point too. If you have twenty years to wait, this is a great place to put your money.

When Tesla delivers a $30,000 EV with a 1000 mile range (Yes, 1000, not 100), the stock price will be at least 400% higher than what it is now.

You heard it here, from a Leaf owner.

Caracalover said:
It may seem high right now, but Apple stock seemed high at one point too. If you have twenty years to wait, this is a great place to put your money.

Apple seemed *really* high at $600. I mean, I like Apple, but talk about "irrational exuberance"! :lol:

evnow said:
Just to put in perspective there are people trying to find out how to lend the shares. The interest rate is quite high, BTW.
it doesn't work that way, individuals are not in a position to be lending stock, it is almost always a transaction that happens between trading or brokerage concerns.

apvbguy said:
it doesn't work that way, individuals are not in a position to be lending stock, it is almost always a transaction that happens between trading or brokerage concerns.
I'm not saying it works that way - but there is a desire to lend the shares (so its hardly robbing).

evnow said:
apvbguy said:
I'm not saying it works that way - but there is a desire to lend the shares (so its hardly robbing).
I must have misunderstood your comment

GeekEV said:
The idiom "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is defined as "to take from one merely to give to another; to discharge one debt by incurring another." Which is exactly what's going on here. K? 'Nuff said.

So if I'm understanding this right... let's say I'm the broker here.

I'm going to sell you a thing that I do not even own, in hopes that you will want to sell it back to me at an essentially arbitrarily different price before the actual owner realizes it's missing.

If that's right... In any situation outside the financial world this would be considered criminal. What really takes the cake is the "thing" in question doesn't even exist in the first place. :roll: The whole financial sector has really become an anchor around our economy's neck.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
GeekEV said:

I'm going to sell you a thing that I do not even own, in hopes that you will want to sell it back to me at an essentially arbitrarily different price before the actual owner realizes it's missing.

If that's right... In any situation outside the financial world this would be considered criminal. What really takes the cake is the "thing" in question doesn't even exist in the first place. :roll: The whole financial sector has really become an anchor around our economy's neck.
=Smidge=

No, that is incorrect, which is why I don't like the colloquialism.
In my experience, the broker asks you to borrow your stock. Is you say yes, the broker can borrow your stock to loan to someone that wants to short the stock.
When they do this, they pay you for the privilege.

Smidge204 said:
GeekEV said:

=Smidge=
it's been going on for almost 150 years, glad you caught up. FWIW it is not criminal it is how financial markets operate.

Predictions are pointless of course, but I can see TSLA going the way of AMZN.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AMZN+Interactive#symbol=amzn;range=my;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This could be like the early stage irrational exuberance period around 1999 where it gets ahead of itself, a substantial correction follows, then the next decade and beyond is a great story.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Predictions are pointless of course, but I can see TSLA going the way of AMZN.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AMZN+Interactive#symbol=amzn;range=my;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This could be like the early stage irrational exuberance period around 1999 where it gets ahead of itself, a substantial correction follows, then the next decade and beyond is a great story.

I will be shocked if we don't see a correction to at least $80 if not the low $70s. May even see it down as far as the high 50s or 60s.

I think LTLFTcomposite is right on with the analogy. I sure hope so anyway. :lol:

As far as the price point, Zythryn, you're not alone: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-worth-71-per-share-trefis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
I think LTLFTcomposite is right on with the analogy. I sure hope so anyway. :lol:

As far as the price point, Zythryn, you're not alone: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-worth-71-per-share-trefis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the report:
"In their view, they believe that the EV market will peak at 4.3 percent of the passenger car market in 2020 and then fall to about 3 percent in 2024."
Why do they think the EV share will drop between 2020 and 2024? To me that makes no sense, but maybe they know something I don't.

OttoH said:
From the report:
"In their view, they believe that the EV market will peak at 4.3 percent of the passenger car market in 2020 and then fall to about 3 percent in 2024."
Why do they think the EV share will drop between 2020 and 2024? To me that makes no sense, but maybe they know something I don't.
Predicting what will happen with technology, or for that matter the regulatory environment that far out seems silly to me. But you can't publish research reports that admit that uncertainty. So you throw out numbers like 4.3% and 3%, confident in the knowledge that 7 or 11 years from now nobody will bother to dust this off and point out how wrong it was.

LTLFTcomposite said:
OttoH said:
From the report:
Predicting what will happen with technology, or for that matter the regulatory environment that far out seems silly to me. But you can't publish research reports that admit that uncertainty. So you throw out numbers like 4.3% and 3%, confident in the knowledge that 7 or 11 years from now nobody will bother to dust this off and point out how wrong it was.

If the EV market is less than 1 out of every 5 new vehicles within 10 years, then Tesla has failed it's mission, and well all be chocking on the pollution and be sickly anyway.

OttoH said:
GeekEV said:

From the report:

Heh, I don't think they drove one. I think once people drive an electric car, they will want an electric car if at all possible.

Zythryn said:
Heh, I don't think they drove one. I think once people drive an electric car, they will want an electric car if at all possible.
very true except for one huge problem with your theory, not very many people can afford the $80k+ Tesla S, The LEAF is certainly less costly but the range needs to be increased or the LEAF will not go mainstream.
until the technology allows for less costly high range EVs they will not go mainstream.

as for the stock, the stock looks toppy however if the short squeeze is still happening there really is no roof to where the stock can go.

Back