TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apvbguy said:
I am surprised that team charlatan isn't touting the blooming success story that Tesla is becoming
That is because the real team charlatan wants the new American company to fail - they are even introducing anti-free market legislations everywhere to make that happen. Apparently dinosaurs like nothing more than cars that use "dinosaur juice" ;)

WetEV said:

Yes. The person that lent the stock usually doesn't know that it was lent. Do you keep physical stock certificates, or just keep your stock at your brokerage account? It is usual for brokerage agreements (not all, but most) to allow the brokerage to lend your stock to someone to short sell without telling you. Read the fine print.

I don't know about other brokerages, but mine has to ask me first. They recently did actually with TSLA. Seems stocks for shorting are in high demand.
While I refused as I don't like helping people gamble, especially betting on failure, Musk found a better way. Use the shorts to help pay off the government loan;)

And very good advice, reading the small print is always a good idea.

Closed about 92 today - up some 8%. Moved my sell limit from 97 to 107.

What limit would you place at either end ?

WetEV said:
Yes. The person that lent the stock usually doesn't know that it was lent. Do you keep physical stock certificates, or just keep your stock at your brokerage account? It is usual for brokerage agreements (not all, but most) to allow the brokerage to lend your stock to someone to short sell without telling you. Read the fine print.
So what then happens when you want to sell, but don't actually have the stock because they lent it out? Do they yank it back from the shorter, or -- what?

evnow said:

Don't know -- but 108 would double my money, not bad for only a few weeks but also quite scary if you can't afford to lose it -- everyone I've talked to has said to not get too greedy (3X or 4X your money is on borrowed time IMO unless a long term investment). I had bought another stock over a 4 year period at various increments (in the 30's and 40's, high of 52) and sold it at 118; it had peaked at 120 afterwards and now is settled out at 80 and was the right move but this Tesla is nothing like that; is it another Google? who knows --- only other consideration would be if you've had it a year and can not get hit with profits as 'regular' income, if you're close to that I'd wait regardless, the incentive in saving some taxes is too great.

evnow said:
apvbguy said:
I am surprised that team charlatan isn't touting the blooming success story that Tesla is becoming
That is because the real team charlatan wants the new American company to fail - they are even introducing anti-free market legislations everywhere to make that happen. Apparently dinosaurs like nothing more than cars that use "dinosaur juice" ;)

first off afaik the only place that has introduced such a law NC.

now do we really need to have the argument about the real team charlatan?
big oil and government motors have ALWAYS done what they need to order to protect their turf.
unless you are extremely naive that shouldn't be a surprise to you.

Team charlatan, aka the band of thugs currently in occupancy in the white house have squandered billions of every taxpayers money on many hare brained schemes. like I said Tesla is one of the few successes in this corner of the auto business and it is a surprise that team charlatan is not making the most of it, then again, between benghazi, the irs, the gun running to mexicans and al queda and the soon to break campaign money scandal they don't have the inclination to try a promote this one little success.

Zythryn said:
WetEV said:

I don't know about other brokerages, but mine has to ask me first. They recently did actually with TSLA. Seems stocks for shorting are in high demand.
While I refused as I don't like helping people gamble, especially betting on failure, Musk found a better way. Use the shorts to help pay off the government loan;)

And very good advice, reading the small print is always a good idea.
did you receive any compensation for loaning your stock?

GeekEV said:
WetEV said:
So what then happens when you want to sell, but don't actually have the stock because they lent it out? Do they yank it back from the shorter, or -- what?
first off you should realize that we are talking book keeping entries, the days of actually delivering paper is long gone. as for pulling the stock back the brokerage is responsible to get you stock to sell if you decide to sell.

evnow said:

ride the wave!
placing trailing stop loss orders to protect your profits would be wise

apvbguy said:
Team charlatan, aka the band of thugs currently in occupancy in the white house have squandered billions of every taxpayers money on many hare brained schemes.
Unlike the real team charlatan which "invested" 10x the money on wars. I suggest you wake up instead of telling others to wake up.

BTW, pls stop bringing politics into the discussion here. Nobody was discussing politics but you seem to have a compulsive urge to bring in politics.

evnow said:
apvbguy said:
Team charlatan, aka the band of thugs currently in occupancy in the white house have squandered billions of every taxpayers money on many hare brained schemes.
Unlike the real team charlatan which "invested" 10x the money on wars. I suggest you wake up instead of telling others to wake up.

BTW, pls stop bringing politics into the discussion here. Nobody was discussing politics but you seem to have a compulsive urge to bring in politics.
you are correct on one thing, this is not the place for politics.

apvbguy said:
GeekEV said:
first off you should realize that we are talking book keeping entries, the days of actually delivering paper is long gone. as for pulling the stock back the brokerage is responsible to get you stock to sell if you decide to sell.
Granted. So what you're saying is they basically do what all banks do, which is rob Peter to pay Paul? Yikes. What a house of cards. No wonder our economy collapsed!

apvbguy said:
did you receive any compensation for loaning your stock?
On this note, when I joined IB (I don't have an account w/them anymore), they introduced a "stock yield enhancement program" where you get income for agreeing to have your shares loaned out to short sellers: http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=shortableStocks&p=stockyield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I have no idea if other brokerages do this w/o compensating you.
Zythryn said:
This is fascinating to watch.
Normally when a company issues more common shares it dilutes the existing shares and the stock takes a dip.
Yeah, I was totally puzzled by this. The stock jumped after hours yesterday after the announcement and again today. And yeah, you are exactly right on effect of issuing more shares.

It's too bad I have no positions in TSLA. :( Congrats to you folks who took a gamble and are long.

GeekEV said:
apvbguy said:
GeekEV said:
Granted. So what you're saying is they basically do what all banks do, which is rob Peter to pay Paul? Yikes. What a house of cards. No wonder our economy collapsed!
not the same at all, in stocks more shares are not created in order to create short positions, the stock must already exist. afaik futures and options are the only financials that can be sold without their actual existence

apvbguy said:
GeekEV said:
not the same at all, in stocks more shares are not created in order to create short positions, the stock must already exist. afaik futures and options are the only financials that can be sold without their actual existence
I get that. I was referring to the situation of when they've "lent" my share out to a shorter without me knowing and I then turn around and sell it. They've got to get my share back from somewhere...

GeekEV said:
apvbguy said:
GeekEV said:
I get that. I was referring to the situation of when they've "lent" my share out to a shorter without me knowing and I then turn around and sell it. They've got to get my share back from somewhere...
yes they do, and it is incumbent on them to come up with the stock, shorting stock can become very expensive under certain circumstances.

GeekEV said:
The brokerage would just find someone else to borrow shares from. Your sell transaction should be seamless.

apvbguy said:
yes they do, and it is incumbent on them to come up with the stock, shorting stock can become very expensive under certain circumstances.
dgpcolorado said:
The brokerage would just find someone else to borrow shares from. Your sell transaction should be seamless.
Hence my "robbing Peter to pay Paul" metaphor. In order to give me (Paul) my share back, they have to take it from someone else (Peter). Anyhoo...

GeekEV said:
apvbguy said:
dgpcolorado said:
Hence my "robbing Peter to pay Paul" metaphor. In order to give me (Paul) my share back, they have to take it from someone else (Peter). Anyhoo...
the analogy is somewhat right, it is the verbiage that is wrong, nobody is being robbed, there is always guarantees and compensation

Back