Tracking your LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it really doesn't send the location info anymore. I set up a fake rss feed on my server, and here's the logged access from carwings:

61.202.253.100 - - [16/Jun/2011:16:05:16 -0700] "GET /leaf.xml HTTP/1.1" 200 62402 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; NISSAN CARWINGS; http://lab.nissan-carwings.com/CWC/)"

I'm assuming that they were embedding some info in the referrer or user-agent fields?

-Sam

They were appending a '?' and various parameters, as if it was a form submitted with a GET method.

New York Times quoted Nissan as taking customer privacy and concerns seriously and corrected the problem for unofficial RSS feeds (I expect partners in the future who will use the data responsibly will still be able to get the information)

cdub said:
The caveat with this is... I had a friend who had his iPhone stolen. He used "where is my phone" and found out where the phone was. He took the info to the police... and they refused to do anything about it. Bigger fish to fry I guess. And my friend didn't want to go there... for obvious personal safety reasons. So... I wouldn't count on this. Lojack is the only way to go... as it is actually used by the police.
Your advice - i.e. LoJack - is probably good, but I believe the police would react differently if the iPhone location was also the location of a stolen $35,000 new car. Your insurance company could probably get some action even if you couldn't. They'd hire an armed PI to go get it if they had to for that kind of money.

Rat said:
but I believe the police would react differently if the iPhone location was also the location of a stolen $35,000 new car. Your insurance company could probably get some action even if you couldn't. They'd hire an armed PI to go get it if they had to for that kind of money.
Maybe so...it almost makes me want to take up AT&T's offer of an iPhone 3GS for $49. If it weren't for the data plan.......thinking.........nah. :|

gascant said:
Rat said:
but I believe the police would react differently if the iPhone location was also the location of a stolen $35,000 new car. Your insurance company could probably get some action even if you couldn't. They'd hire an armed PI to go get it if they had to for that kind of money.
Maybe so...it almost makes me want to take up AT&T's offer of an iPhone 3GS for $49. If it weren't for the data plan.......thinking.........nah. :|

There are much cheaper ways to track a vehicle than picking up an iPhone.

I have a metal detector in the car and I keep a TSA employee in the back seat weith mace :lol:

TSA is the poster child for what is wrong with security (theater) in the USA... "Your Papers please!"

rawhog said:
Ahh. The old trunk monkey then :lol: ( I seriously despise TSA. I work at an airport. Talk about your basic holier than thou. That's TSA!)

Nissan sells an OEM module that interfaces the alarm that adds "lo-Jack" type features.

They also sell a module with an impact sensor, I was able to find that one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Leaf-Vehicle-Alarm-Impact-Sensor-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56436ec657QQitemZ370498520663QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2365wt_941

Found the tracking module on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Leaf-Vehicle-Tracking-Recovery-System-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56436ec65dQQitemZ370498520669QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2365wt_941

:D

Who would steal this car? How would they steal it? I'm so confused. I would think that would be like stealing a red car in a world full of black ones.

McDavis said:
Who would steal this car? How would they steal it? I'm so confused. I would think that would be like stealing a red car in a world full of black ones.
There are tons of them around here. More than 100 Leafs at the recent BayLeafs meeting at Google last weekend! And that HOV lane sticker is worth stealing the car for, at least around here.

My concern is that a thief might use a tow truck and carry my Leaf to a chop shop for the batteries. I never could get a replacement cost for the batteries, but would estimate them to be over $10,000.

Generally, one steals stuff that can be sold quickly and easily for cash. Of course there are exceptions, as in stealing another's heart, or the moaning Lisa.

The LEAF modules are probably all serial numbered, and not (yet) really quick and easy to move.

peggynevers said:
Nissan should change a prompt in this case to be clear.
Don't you mean "to be less clear"? How about a little icon in one corner of the screen immediately after power on, and you have to press it within 30 seconds to "decline". Otherwise it is an implied "accept" and the icon goes away.

Ray

I just noticed Nissan is selling a Vehicle Tracking and Recovery System for the LEAF. It's a $500 option and I found cheaper item here that looks the same.

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/oem/2011-nissan-leaf-vehicle-tracking-and-recovery-system-2385.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CWO4Mann said:
Granted one must be an Amateur Radio Licensee, but APRS will do the tracking trick. See my sig, below and then enter the "7 days" tracking option.
Aprs is the way to go! The monthly charges are great...FREE!

999Q8-VW001 part number, $308, no monthly fees with the included plan.

Presumably you cannot locate your car, or see where it is, or track it,
but only have the police locate it.

Can anybody find a full description, and possibly the installation manual?

Back