Toyota using Tesla charging connector?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolfilmaker

The J1772 Chargepoint at the Toyota Auto Museum in Torrance, CA has two PHEV only spots designated to it.

This makes me wonder if Toyota has something they're not telling us. Will they be using Tesla's superior charging connector on the RAV4 EV? How else could they justify this? It's probably just ignorance or stupidity but who knows.

zhQPl.png

I can't say I follow your logic. You just said these are standard j1772 - that would be the plug used in LEAF, iMEV, Coda, the upcoming Focus EV and Toyota's own PiP.

So tell me again how these leads you to believe that Toyota "might" be using the Tesla connector in any way?

I think you are confused. The new Toyota PiP has a J1772, just like my LEAF and several other EV's. Its Tesla that has their own proprietary connector. I was just discussing yesterday, with 2 Nissan engineers who were at my house, about what a waste of resources it is for Tesla going off and doing their own thing, proprietary connectors, their own parallel Quick Charge infrastucture, etc. IMO, if they want to be taken seriously and get into the EV game they need to get on the same page with the other manufacturers.

On the RAV4 EV prototype I saw at the Green Drive Expo, it had a J1772 connector. The PiP uses J1772 as well.

But how is a picture of the Toyota Museum showing a J1772 charge station any evidence about using a Tesla connector?

The only thing that's snobbish is Toyota marking the spots "Plug in Hybrid Only" which technically excludes most Leafs. I suppose I'm allowed to pull in if I'm towing my range extender. =)

-Phil

I test-drove a prototype RAV4 EV this past November, after it was charged at my house. A Toyota employee wanted to get the vehicle up to Big Bear Lake, and my charging dock (in PlugShare) came in quite handy. As a prototype vehicle, it definitely had rough edges and wasn't as refined and fun to drive as our LEAF. Still, for someone looking for a roomier vehicle and possibly AWD, this could be great. Here are some photos.

img0267w.jpg

img0273dk.jpg

img0272go.jpg

img0282jj.jpg

I see Tesla all over the place, including a Tesla to J-1772 adaptor!

Ingineer said:
On the RAV4 EV prototype I saw at the Green Drive Expo, it had a J1772 connector. The PiP uses J1772 as well.

But how is a picture of the Toyota Museum showing a J1772 charge station any evidence about using a Tesla connector?

The only thing that's snobbish is Toyota marking the spots "Plug in Hybrid Only" which technically excludes most Leafs. I suppose I'm allowed to pull in if I'm towing my range extender. =)

-Phil

Because if they build EVs that also use J1772 connectors they will have to repaint the spots.

You have to admit that it makes sense though. I think it would be a very good thing. It would make J1772 the lower power standard for PHEVs and then inspire some places to install higher power EVSEs for real EVs.

It also makes sense because even at 6.6 KWs the 50 kwh battery in the RAV4 will take as long to recharge as our 1st gen Leafs.

Back