Toyota teams with Microsoft to play Leaf catch up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmarilloLeaf

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/microsoft-to-produce-telematics-system-for-toyota/

"Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, said that starting in 2012 “customers will be able to turn on the heat or A.C. in their car while their vehicle is plugged into the grid or dynamically monitor miles until the next charging station right from their GPS system. Or a customer could use a smartphone to check battery power or maintenance information remotely.”"

Goodness !!

What a great idea! What will they think up next!

I am sure it will be better then the Leaf because they will just use the leaf's code and change the GUI with more features. That we want but will not be able to get because of the Toyota contacts.

By the way if you did not know the Nissan Leaf uses Microsoft mobile.

AmarilloLeaf said:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/microsoft-to-produce-telematics-system-for-toyota/
What a great idea! What will they think up next!

You left out the important details. Inspired by Fox News ?

“By using Microsoft’s cloud platform, Toyota will be able to deliver these new applications and services in the 170 countries where Toyota cars are sold,” Mr. Ballmer said. “Historically, this type of service was limited to only major markets where the automotive maker could build and maintain a data center.”

Microsoft supplies the software and hardware technology for Ford's Mysync and having played with it, it is quite impressive. Far more so than Nissan's implementations to date... I do think they went a little too far by eliminating almost EVERY button, however...

Luft said:
Microsoft’s software in a car... A car that can crash two different ways. :lol:

Luft said:
You probably shouldn't laugh quite so hard if you have a LEAF coming.... I am hoping that the "Windows Embedded Automotive 7" system in the LEAF is not a progeny of Redmond's fine OS offerings.

From what I read, Microsoft's embedded systems group, which hopefully is an entirely separate group from their Windows OS group, produces Windows Embedded Automotive 7, as well as Windows CE, etc.. Windows Embedded Automotive 7 handles some of the human-computer interfaces, such as display (Silverlight for Windows Embedded UI framework) and speech recognition: "The Embedded platform provides OEMs with a base for communication, entertainment, navigation and information systems for vehicles." It does not appear to have anything to do with the car's operational logic.

aqn said:
Luft said:
You probably shouldn't laugh quite so hard if you have a LEAF coming.... I am hoping that the "Windows Embedded Automotive 7" system in the LEAF is not a progeny of Redmond's fine OS offerings.

From what I read, Microsoft's embedded systems group, which hopefully is an entirely separate group from their Windows OS group, produces Windows Embedded Automotive 7, as well as Windows CE, etc.. Windows Embedded Automotive 7 handles some of the human-computer interfaces, such as display (Silverlight for Windows Embedded UI framework) and speech recognition: "The Embedded platform provides OEMs with a base for communication, entertainment, navigation and information systems for vehicles." It does not appear to have anything to do with the car's operational logic.

Well we already have to do a hard reboot of the TCU by removing the 12v. Living up to it's reputation so far. Now I wonder who will be the first to report a BSOD.

I jest. :D

Clearly Microsoft's voice recognition software is not in the Leaf! I had that in my Windows Smartphone prior to my Android and it worked remarkably well.

Can we please set aside the Microsoft bashing for a moment to celebrate the recognition this announcement represents, for what Nissan has done with the LEAF program?

The LEAF's telematics + CARWINGS have some V1 rough edges, but Toyota would not have sought a strong partner like Microsoft to work on a competitive offering if it did not see Nissan as delivering important new innovation in this area to customers with LEAF.

For years, I've wondered why auto makers did not do something like LEAFs telematics and CARWINGS. Right now, am just happy to see the industry validate another bold bet Nissan made in its multi-billion dollar LEAF program. Kudos to Nissan and to Toyota for moving the industry in the right direction.

Would also like to ask my friends here to help keep this site focused on providing constructive LEAF- and EV-centered thoughts/analysis and useful information. That's why many of us came here in the first place and why some of us have invested by becoming supporting members of the site.

Back