Top Gear Gets Caught By CarWings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip Nobody who watches the show on a regular basis should be surprised by this. :lol:
Sadly untrue. Many of their motorhead fans totally believe any/every thing that comes forth from their gas guzzlin hard cornering hero. If Jeromy believes a Prius should be machine-gunned - then the show's following will never conceed that a hybrid is worth its salt.

Playing the "what if" card can apply to any situation. TG says they wanted to see "what if" an EV ran out of charge in an area without infrastructure. Seems silly. It will stop running and you will need to locate a random wall outlet. I don't need a show to tell me that. "What if" they took a gas car to the desert and ran it dry??? Does anyone need to be told what would happen?

TRONZ said:
Playing the "what if" card can apply to any situation. TG says they wanted to see "what if" an EV ran out of charge in an area without infrastructure. Seems silly. It will stop running and you will need to locate a random wall outlet. ...
I wouldn't mind if they just portrayed it more accurately. Had they simply said that they had gone 70 miles or so, and skipped other opportunities to charge so that it was their own damned fault, I wouldn't be bothered by them creating a comic search for a plug.

I still think Nissan should invite TG over to Japan to "test" a LEAF. Unfortunately, I bet Clarkson would still act helpless, plug in hand... while 20 feet from an L3 station.

TRONZ said:
Playing the "what if" card can apply to any situation. TG says they wanted to see "what if" an EV ran out of charge in an area without infrastructure. Seems silly. It will stop running and you will need to locate a random wall outlet. I don't need a show to tell me that. "What if" they took a gas car to the desert and ran it dry??? Does anyone need to be told what would happen?
I'm sure they run every ICE car they review dry to answer the "what if"? :)

The Top Gear shtick regarding EV's has changed much over the years. Here's Top Gear's review of the EV1 in 1997.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JrBuzWo2PI[/youtube]

wow, nice find, at least he ended on the right note: "make not mistake, the days of the internal combustion engine are numbered!"

What, no pushing of the EV1, wandering around acting pathetic with an extension chord, claiming the car "broke down"....??? My how we have changed TG. And this guy even claimed the days of the gas engine are numbered!

This is old news, but unless you have seen it already, the relevant Top Gear segment has been posted by a Vimeo user:

Click to play

Back