"Time of Use" and the art of war!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsfreeleaf

Hi all: I have had my 2013 S for a couple weeks now, and I am deeply involved in reformating my electricity usage to the new (and great) San Diego Gas and Electric Time of Use TOU2 rates. Those are the rates available in San Diego if you do not put in a second meter. My family has high electricity usage and no solar (yet), so I am trying to avoid paying close to $.30 a KW for my Leaf. Using Time of Use, it can be half that number. But, what about the rest of the house? My question to you all is, how far have you other electorholics gone to reduce or re-time your electricity usage upon your first conversion to TOU????
My list follows:

• Only charge the Leaf between midnight and 5 AM
    Purchased On/Off timers (you know, like the pot growers use), to power down all non-essential devices like computer chargers, electric toothbrushes, TIVOs, etc., at least between peak hours of 12PM to 6PM
    Re-time the pool and spa to run from midnight 8:00AM
    Lock down Air conditioner during peak hours (actually did this some time ago)
    run dishwasher at night
    More?
    Any other geeks like me out there? :mrgreen:

Do you have an electric water heater ?

How about an electric range in the kitchen ?

Get a TED and cut all power to the house and start checking each circuit for phantom draws.

For over the top, make ice at night and run a fan over it to cool during peak hours.....

here is what we do:
The first thing we do when we move to a new area is buy the utility stock. that makes us feel better when they rob us.
if i were you, i would lose the AC or get the family used to having it on no lower than 72 degrees and use the AC ONLY during those few months with temps avging over 85, and NEVER use it at night. open the windows. get ceiling fans.
and get solar.
then, no worries.

as to other major bill creators, if you can afford a pool AND spa with maintenance costs, then you have to assume higher water heating bills. I assume that ISNT electric.
so, do you have solar hot water for these water toys? I would do that pronto.
Admittedly, we only have a small hot spring spa, but with it and the car and a 3kw solar system, we havent paid more than $10 a year since 2008.

if you dont go out and do solar, then this isnt brain surgery; you have to kill the big uses.
we use washers primarily on weekends with lowest rates and I HATE to use the dryer. I always hang it outside in SOCAL sunshine.
with family down to two people, we rarely use the dishwasher and if we did it would be at night rates.
you are really talking a change of lifestyle and a different way of thinking about electricity if you want to cut your consumption. All the family needs to be in on it, especially the AC changes.

Laundry and dishwasher only on cheapest rates. Have considered making ice off peak, as it can be 5X in the summer.

thankyouOB said:
here is what we do:
The first thing we do when we move to a new area is buy the utility stock. that makes us feel better when they rob us.
Ain't that da truth :cry:
if i were you, i would lose the AC or get the family used to having it on no lower than 72 degrees and use the AC ONLY during those few months with temps avging over 85, and NEVER use it at night. open the windows. get ceiling fans.
and get solar.
then, no worries.

as to other major bill creators, if you can afford a pool AND spa with maintenance costs, then you have to assume higher water heating bills. I assume that ISNT electric.
so, do you have solar hot water for these water toys? I would do that pronto.
Admittedly, we only have a small hot spring spa, but with it and the car and a 3kw solar system, we havent paid more than $10 a year since 2008.

if you dont go out and do solar, then this isnt brain surgery; you have to kill the big uses.
we use washers primarily on weekends with lowest rates and I HATE to use the dryer. I always hang it outside in SOCAL sunshine.
with family down to two people, we rarely use the dishwasher and if we did it would be at night rates.
you are really talking a change of lifestyle and a different way of thinking about electricity if you want to cut your consumption. All the family needs to be in on it, especially the AC changes.
Hey there ThankyouOB:
We actually have a SDGE lockdown device on our AC, so we don't use it. SDGE pays me to do that. And, yes, we have gotten use to it.
Yes, we have a pool, but we saw no need for heat in San Diego, other than the solar water sytem on the roof. So we did not put in a heater. The pump however draws a ton of power. My spa is separate, and electric, but it has it's own timer. I know an electric spa, what was I thinking? What can I say, love the pool and spa :?
Solar is on the list, but I will be selling the house in a few years, so it's probably not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I have neighbors that use tripple the power I do, but they are really rich, not just apparently rich! :lol:
Take care, Bob

srl99 said:
Laundry and dishwasher only on cheapest rates. Have considered making ice off peak, as it can be 5X in the summer.
Maybe disconnect the icemaker, and buy it at the store????? :cool:... Forgot to mention, I have a second refrigerator in the garage! Don't shoot. :roll: . I know, I need to get ride of it!

Old fridge and pool pump can draw a lot of power. Replace? Also, you don't have to run the pool pump 24/7.

bobsfreeleaf said:
srl99 said:
Maybe disconnect the icemaker, and buy it at the store????? :cool:... Forgot to mention, I have a second refrigerator in the garage! Don't shoot. :roll: . I know, I need to get ride of it!

If it's the kind built into the fridge itself, disconnecting it isn't going make much of a difference. Most of your power usage for ice is going to be keeping it cold, and the freezer portion already takes care of that. You'll need to keep the freezer cold anyway even if you buy ice elsewhere.

The second fridge in the garage OTOH is a huge electricity-waster.

Another one...computers and other electronics. Do you have a desktop computer you leave on 24/7? Some of them (especially ones meant for gaming) can consume enormous amounts of power. Cable/satellite boxes, DVR's, etc. can also consume a lot of power.

Have you tried converting your lighting to CFL and/or LED? High initial cost to purchase, but they use very little energy.

Yes get rid of the second fridge. Maybe put it on timer to be off during peak TOU.

All lighting needs to be CFL or LED.

I would not sweat the toothbrush and computer bricks. But do turn the tv etc off unless you are actually sitting down watching a program. No peak TOU for laundry.

Consider a smaller pump motor for the pool. Especially if it needs replaced.

I set the AC to 88f until 6:00 pm then it gets dropped to 85f. :shock: Laundry is done on the weekend, at off peak rates. With the second EV, I am going to have to watch my use carefully.

We don't even have a choice to select TOU rates from our local utility. We are so advanced here on the east Coast near Washington, DC. - NOT.

Oh and - TED. I saw a mention of it in this thread. The Electric Detective - TED. $200. if you can afford it, get it. Knowledge is power. This will help you immensely in understanding your home energy use and how best to deal with TOU rates. The Blue Line Power Cost Monitor is cheaper and easier to hook up (wireless), but it is not as accurate and can only measure whole house power. The TED comes with CT's you put on any circuit, ties to your computer, and keeps detailed records down to the minute and watt.

BEVeedom said:
We don't even have a choice to select TOU rates from our local utility. We are so advanced here on the east Coast near Washington, DC. - NOT.
You don't necessarily want it. You can see how high the rates can get in summer w/higher tiers at http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariffs/electric.shtml#RESELEC_TOU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also note what they claim the "average total rate" should be for people not on CARE (for low income people).

You mentioned 13.5 cents/kwh in another post. If I got a BEV and remained on a non-TOU plan, my average would quickly go beyond that. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155519#p155519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for example.

I'd MUCH rather have the rates at http://www.seattle.gov/light/accounts/rates/ac5_erps22.htm#rsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.douglaspud.org/Service/2013RatesJanuary12013.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; w/o TOU crap.

Some people end up going on TOU to save money when charging at night because non-TOU plans can end up being so pricey. Try plugging in your usage into http://www.pge.com/myhome/myaccount/charges/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; w/a 95136 zip code and no for CARE. Compare how much your utility charges vs. ripoff PG&E. That calculator slightly underestimates as it doesn't include taxes and fees.

Reddy said:
Old fridge and pool pump can draw a lot of power. Replace? Also, you don't have to run the pool pump 24/7.
Yes, of course, I only run it 8 hours a day to avoid algae. Our pump is effecient, but the fridge does need to go away. Thanks.

If it's the kind built into the fridge itself, disconnecting it isn't going make much of a difference. Most of your power usage for ice is going to be keeping it cold, and the freezer portion already takes care of that. You'll need to keep the freezer cold anyway even if you buy ice elsewhere.

The second fridge in the garage OTOH is a huge electricity-waster.

Another one...computers and other electronics. Do you have a desktop computer you leave on 24/7? Some of them (especially ones meant for gaming) can consume enormous amounts of power. Cable/satellite boxes, DVR's, etc. can also consume a lot of power.

Have you tried converting your lighting to CFL and/or LED? High initial cost to purchase, but they use very little energy.
All computers are now on Titan timers to shut them down periodically, either to run off battery, or disconnect if the kids left them on. For sure, everything will be off at peak time, unless needed for homework, or such. Working on the DVRs. Of course if I shut down the tivo during desperate housewives, uh, you know, the wifee :? . I have CFL's everywhere I can reach, and some LED's. Outside, it's some solor units (that don't really work), so mostly black at night. Take care.

BEVeedom said:
Oh and - TED. I saw a mention of it in this thread. The Electric Detective - TED. $200. if you can afford it, get it. Knowledge is power. This will help you immensely in understanding your home energy use and how best to deal with TOU rates. The Blue Line Power Cost Monitor is cheaper and easier to hook up (wireless), but it is not as accurate and can only measure whole house power. The TED comes with CT's you put on any circuit, ties to your computer, and keeps detailed records down to the minute and watt.
Did not know about the TED, but yes, just got my Ensupra power monitor last night. I have been running around the house checking stuff. Funny, I always thought the chargers and such were drawing power even when not plugged into the device (you know, because they were hot), but turns out it's neglegable. Another funny one was the Kuregg coffee maker. It draws more power when turned off, than on. When I get my EVSE upgrade cable, I am going to use it to tell Mark how many amps the new 2013 cord draws on 110 (some changes there). Thanks, Bob

cwerdna said:
BEVeedom said:
You don't necessarily want it. You can see how high the rates can get in summer w/higher tiers at http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariffs/electric.shtml#RESELEC_TOU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also note what they claim the "average total rate" should be for people not on CARE (for low income people).

You mentioned 13.5 cents/kwh in another post. If I got a BEV and remained on a non-TOU plan, my average would quickly go beyond that. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155519#p155519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for example.

I'd MUCH rather have the rates at http://www.seattle.gov/light/accounts/rates/ac5_erps22.htm#rsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.douglaspud.org/Service/2013RatesJanuary12013.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; w/o TOU crap.

Some people end up going on TOU to save money when charging at night because non-TOU plans can end up being so pricey. Try plugging in your usage into http://www.pge.com/myhome/myaccount/charges/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; w/a 95136 zip code and no for CARE. Compare how much your utility charges vs. ripoff PG&E. That calculator slightly underestimates as it doesn't include taxes and fees.

Good info cwerdna: Check this out and tell me if I am wrong. What I did with my SDGE is get on my account an download my usage for a summer and winter month by hour. Then I multiplied each block of hours by the respective TOU rate, totaled it all for each month, and compared to the comparable month's bill on the tiered system I am on. Of course, this assumes I will get the rates indicated on the SDGE website TOU2 page. As I mentioned earlier, we are not big AC users, some I am naturally drawn to TOU rates. Anyway the results, which I will post when I have a pre and post TOU, were a savings of over $100 a month (per Leaf). Sound credible?

You need to find out where your energy is going, we all know its the pool pump, the AC and the laundry (if electric).

That second fridge does not consume much if its never opened, unless it has a leak but that is easily tested.. but do you really need that second fridge?. Kids means high electric bills, mostly from the clothes dryer (hopefully that is on gas) and leaving doors wide open with the AC running.. . Set the AC at 78 F in the summer, wear shorts and lots of ceiling fans, even better if you shut it off completely. In Mali I find a small window AC to dehumidify the air if needed and floor fans are all I need at night.

Cut down pool pump time to the minimum.. You know the pool has a huge heat storage potential, I wonder if it could be used to cool the house?.. or run a swamp cooler if your humidity is low enough.

Back