SDGE Kwh T1 usage Threshold? What is it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

What is the T-1 ceiling of use before being billed at Tier2, 3 or 4 rate in SoCal San Diego Coastal zone?
It seems ridiculous and absurd that in this day of fingertip internet access to information, how difficult this simple question is to answer. Can some one verify my findings?

According to my findings in SDG&E territory, up to 300 Kwh a month usage is tier 1 rate or $0.18 per Kwh
Is that right?
My electricity usage has been over the last 4 months with occasional EV charging (2,3 per Mo) between 12:00 am and 6:00am :

June 351 Kwh $78
July 272 Kwh $67
Aug 278 Kwh $64
Sept 265 Kwh $60
October will be more, finally added a window A/C after 13 years of doing without. It looks like I'm on the limit border of T1 rate, slipping into T2.

Baseline-2.png

Baseline-1.png

Baseline.png

stevon said:
MrDRMorgan,

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it, no easy answer or chart available yet

MrDRMorgan said:
stevon said:
Does anybody know what is the threshold of Kwh used per month that kicks you into the next base rate level. I can't find a chart stating what the numbers are only confusing web calculators.
TOU chart does not clarify it either. Thanks for any help! :?: :)

Stevon,

I have spent hours going through this same exercise for PG&E. I think I can help. Note: you can find all of the following information at: http://www.sdge.com/rates-regulations/current-and-effective-tariffs/current-and-effective-tariffs
you can also get to this point by logging onto http://www.sdge.com. When the web page loads, type TARIFFS in the search box and you should end up at this same page.

1. Go to the following website and, on the map, find the SDG&E billing area in which you reside and write it down:
http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_MAPS_Maps_-_Elec.pdf

2. Go to the following website to get to the standard Residential Rate Schedule:
http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_ELEC-SCHEDS_DR.pdf
I would print the entire schedule so it is easy to find the information you need. On sheet 5 you will find the baseline values for the billing area in which you live. Write down the baseline values. You have both summer and winter values.

3. On sheet 1 you will find the 3 baseline break points - baseline, 101% to 130% of baseline and above 130% of baseline. You will also find the cost per kWh under TOTAL RATE for each baseline category in summer and winter.

4. TOU is completely different. Again, you can find the necessary TOU information by going to:
http://www.sdge.com/rates-regulations/current-and-effective-tariffs/current-and-effective-tariffs
Click on RESIDENTIAL RATES. For an EV you probably want to consider schedule EV-TOU-2. You should be able to find all of the information you need if you start at this page and drill down to what you need.

stevon said:
What is the T-1 ceiling of use before being billed at Tier2, 3 or 4 rate in SoCal San Diego Coastal zone?
It seems ridiculous and absurd that in this day of fingertip internet access to information, how difficult this simple question is to answer. Can some one verify my findings?

According to my findings in SDG&E territory, up to 300 Kwh a month usage is tier 1 rate or $0.18 per Kwh
Is that right?
I am in SDGE Coastal area and my DR-Residential baseline fluctuates between 278 kWh to 311 kWh depending on the month of the year, so it is definitely not an easy question to answer. $0.18 per kWh is accurate if you don't include fees and taxes. Of course there is a proposal up for approval by SDGE to change the tiers and rates radically very soon, so I don't know if it's worth it to try to figure out how the current rates work, as they are likely to change soon to benefit the higher usage users.

My EVSE is connected to a separate meter which is on TOU service, and can total over 300kWh/month all by itself, which is charged at $0.17 to almost $0.48 per kWh, depending on the time of day. When the tiers and rates change in the near future, I will look again at whether there is any benefit for me to remain on TOU rate for the EVSE. I am getting hosed if I charge my car during peak periods @ $0.48/kWh. I might as well go to a Blink station and get hosed by them in the middle of the day if I need to charge. :evil: Heck, I might as well buy gasoline!

TT

Hi Guys,
I can help with questions about Rates and Tiers. Here are a couple of tidbits that should help....

* The tiered DR rate underwent a major change as of September 1. The 4 tiers have been reduced to 3 tiers, as shown on the "Total Electric Rate" chart that you have pasted in above...FYI, in March 2016, the 3 tiers will be reduced to 2 tiers.

* If you own a DMV-registered electric vehicle, you are eligible to change to one of the EV TOU rates. One of them is for a separate service to the dwelling (EV-TOU) and just measures the car usage on the TOU rate (while leaving the house meter on the existing rate), and the second EV rate is for the whole house including the car (EV-TOU2).

* The proposal that was made to change the TOU time periods was denied in a recent CPUC decision. It is currently 12-6 pm for peak time in the summer for those on TOU rates, and the proposal was to change it to 2-9pm, and also to eliminate peak time on weekends. The CPUC denied the proposal a couple of months ago.

Any other questions?

Randy said:
Any other questions?
Hi Randy,

I have a couple. Can you give us an explanation of the two-tiered rates that will go into effect in March, 2016? Or is there a link to it we can check out?

Also, I have trouble understanding the rationale for the Summer vs. Winter EV-TOU rate schedule:

EV-TOU%201_zps0c6q1d10.jpg

Specifically, why is the Super Off-Peak Winter rate higher than the corresponding rate in the summer, while the other two time periods are both cheaper in winter than summer, especially the On-Peak Winter rate, which is way less than half of the On-Peak Summer one?

Thx,
TT

Hi Tom,
Good question. As you probably saw, the difference in the rates for those seasons and time periods is in the EECC column, which is the price for the energy commodity itself. My understanding is that these prices are a pass-through from the wholesale energy prices paid to procure the required power for customers.

Wholesale power prices vary widely by hour and season, and those EECC prices take that into account for the rates shown. For example, the peak load in summer can be as much as 50% higher than the peak load in winter, and the prices reflect that...

Randy said:
* The proposal that was made to change the TOU time periods was denied in a recent CPUC decision. It is currently 12-6 pm for peak time in the summer for those on TOU rates, and the proposal was to change it to 2-9pm, and also to eliminate peak time on weekends.
Ouch, that change in TOU hours would have cost me a lot more money. Not only does it add an hour of peak rates, but it shifts them 2 hours further into darkness.

I'm curious as to the reason the CPUC denied the change, though - doesn't PG&E have peak rates similar to the proposed rates?

drees said:
Randy said:
* The proposal that was made to change the TOU time periods was denied in a recent CPUC decision. It is currently 12-6 pm for peak time in the summer for those on TOU rates, and the proposal was to change it to 2-9pm, and also to eliminate peak time on weekends.
Ouch, that change in TOU hours would have cost me a lot more money. Not only does it add an hour of peak rates, but it shifts them 2 hours further into darkness.

I'm curious as to the reason the CPUC denied the change, though - doesn't PG&E have peak rates similar to the proposed rates?

Interestingly enough SCE had no problem rolling out the 2-8pm on-peak time period in the beginning of 2015.

Here is the decision document, if you're interested...

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M154/K310/154310983.PDF

Back