Advice on a used 2013 Leaf for San Jose - Palo Alto commute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
I remember reading a complaint (possible on Facebook) is that the issue w/using a wi-fi OBD2 dongle means that once you're connected via wi-fi, iOS tries to do all Internet access thru that dongle, which has no Internet access. So, you can't surf, receive push alerts, check email, etc. while connected.

I have not noticed that issue, but then again I usually connect for only a minute or so to get a reading, then unplug again. The few times the OBDII adapter is continuously plugged in, it's when I am taking an extended drive with the car, in which case I am not checking my phone anyway until I am parked.

dgpcolorado said:
Do drive the LEAF down to VLBW on purpose to get a feel for how much range you have below LBW. It is very helpful to know that you still have lots of miles left and people who stop at LBW leave a lot of the range unused.
I completely second this advise (as well as everything dgpcolorado said. I have been able to drive anywhere from 10-20 miles PAST the VLBW on my 2011 (where the guess-o-meter says "- - -"). This is different with the 2013, but again, there are lots of hidden miles, especially if you hit VLBW on the freeway, then quickly exit and drive at 35 mph for the remaining miles. Make sure you try it out on a Sunday morning, circle around your charging station of choice, and see how many mile you can get. I've only run down to "turtle" once, but it was exactly for this reason. Now I feel completely comfortable running 8 miles RT to work, even down to 1 or 2 charge bars.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We're loving the car! Only need to charge it 2-3 times a week for my wife's usage.

Playing musical cars with the volt and leaf accessing the garage to charge.

But the upgraded cable makes it very easy to get them both fully charged in a single evening.

Back