The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@derkraut - thanks for the warm welcome!

@DNAinaGoodWay - that's pretty much what sold me on purchasing a previously owned 2011. Aside from the battery, the car is in great shape. We are looking forward to passing by gas stations with big smiles.

The only thing that has me a bit nervous is the summer heat and I'm already dreading losing the first capacity bar. :(

glecko said:
The only thing that has me a bit nervous is the summer heat and I'm already dreading losing the first capacity bar. :(

You will likely lose it by the end of this summer. Another Leafer who lives further south than you lost his first bar after only 10 months. But as long as you have very conservative range expectations for the car (say, no more than 30 miles between charging sessions) you should be fine for some time.

If you car has a QC port, the fact that there are QC stations spread all over metro Phoenix is also helpful for those times when you need a bit more range than your battery will allow.

My wife and I leased a 2013 S Trim w/Quick Charge on Saturday. Pretty excited about this whole thing. We are planning to use it primarily to commute. Her office just moved about .25 mile from mine, and I'm getting a folding bike to stick in the back so I can ride home from work since she only works part time. EVSE should ship out shortly.

We are looking forward to seeing how far we can push the distance. Hoping to visit friends in Mission Viejo (~50 miles) with minimum hassle (ie L1 charging at his house), maybe get down to San Diego in it. Found Tony's Distance Chart, and I'm working on internalizing the details!

dankroboth said:
My wife and I leased a 2013 S Trim w/Quick Charge on Saturday. Pretty excited about this whole thing. We are planning to use it primarily to commute. Her office just moved about .25 mile from mine, and I'm getting a folding bike to stick in the back so I can ride home from work since she only works part time. EVSE should ship out shortly.

We are looking forward to seeing how far we can push the distance. Hoping to visit friends in Mission Viejo (~50 miles) with minimum hassle (ie L1 charging at his house), maybe get down to San Diego in it. Found Tony's Distance Chart, and I'm working on internalizing the details!

Congrats on the new car. Keep in mind that unless you'll be staying for 12+ hours, L1 charging at your friend's house in Mission Viejo will not yield enough charge to get you back, especially if you drive at typical Southern California freeway speeds. Good thing you got the optional QC port, because there are a few QCs along the 405 on your way back home, including at Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa, plus a few more if you detour slightly onto I-5 (Tustin Nissan being one).

I Picked up my leaf from Olympia Nissan. Great dealer experience. they walked me through the delivery check list and i felt confident I knew how to operate the car. Love driving EV. The 40 mile trip home was great. quiet, smooth ,nimble and comfortable. I'm going to enjoy this
Leaf S with quick charge. looking to add the Torklift hitch receiver so i can haul my bikes.

Diver1500 said:
I Picked up my leaf from Olympia Nissan. Great dealer experience. they walked me through the delivery check list and i felt confident I knew how to operate the car. Love driving EV. The 40 mile trip home was great. quiet, smooth ,nimble and comfortable. I'm going to enjoy this
Leaf S with quick charge. looking to add the Torklift hitch receiver so i can haul my bikes.

congrats on your car!!

if you are a facebook fan

https://www.facebook.com/groups/162442713806531/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, we picked up our Leaf yesterday (15-Feb-2014). MY 2014 S trim in Silver with the charge package.

So far we love it! It's our first car with a backup camera (awesome as backing out of our garage is a bit tricky), USB port or integrated Bluetooth. I was glad of the heated wheel this morning when I forgot my gloves.

It replaces a 2007 Honda Fit totaled on an icy road in January. It will be my wife's commuter car. The commute is ~23 miles roundtrip, some days twice, plus I expect we will use it for local errands when we can, instead of the minivan. We live close enough to Baltimore that it will get us to the zoo (for instance) and back without needing to charge. So I expect we will put ~12K miles/year on it.

Dealer was Nissan of Bowie (Bowie, MD). We went there to test drive the car Friday last, then spent a week waiting to get a lease quote, trying to decide buy vs lease, talking briefly to other dealers, and waiting through a heavy snowfall that closed the schools and the dealership. Overall our communication with them was a little sketchy. I think our salesperson is new to the job, and from a technical standpoint she doesn't know much about EVs (then again, neither did I 3 weeks ago, but I did understand the concept of regenerative braking, and I don't think she did). The snow didn't help. On the plus side, we had initially asked for a car without the charger upgrade, but when we were ready to walk in the door with the money, they could only get their hands on one with the upgrade (their actual stock was limited to a couple of 2013s, I think, so we knew almost from the start that they would get our car from another dealer), and they gave it to us for the same price, so we're happy.

It's the second Leaf in my family as my cousin who lives in London got one a few weeks back (she loves it). She opted to lease her battery. That could be a whole other discussion right there, I know, but I won't go there now. Also the second EV in our neighborhood (that I know of), as a fellow around the corner has a Ford C-Max Energi (PHEV) - in his case a company car, he works for GE. I believe he has an L2 EVSE... I guess I might be asking to plug in there once in a while, as we're planning to do without L2 at home, at least initially. If we are able to charge the car at my wife's workplace (not as simple as it might sound since she works for the DoD, and the bureaucracy is, um, slow to process new ideas), we might never need more than L1 ("trickle") charging, unless and until a major battery upgrade becomes possible... not holding my breath.

Anyway, we're excited to be on the gas-free path, if only with one of our cars. My thanks to those who have provided so much informed discussion on this forum, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now as we approached the purchase decision, and it's provided some helpful perspective.

--TomR near Annapolis, MD

Hey everyone!

1/23/14

Leased a glacier white 2013 S with quick charge port.

Already 1000+ miles on it! Replaced the halogens with HIDs aimed slightly lower and installed a couple LED rear plate bulbs.

13leafSF said:
Hey everyone!

1/23/14

Leased a glacier white 2013 S with quick charge port.

Already 1000+ miles on it! Replaced the halogens with HIDs aimed slightly lower and installed a couple LED rear plate bulbs.

Congrats :mrgreen:

We have had ours 5 days and are having fun :D
People everywhere we go ask about it!! :shock:

Got mine last Monday 2/17 with White Pearl SV & quick charge. So far I have been driving it everyday to work and use up full tank of charge (85%) each day.

Reach 10000km with the leaf, it really has been a pleasure to drive the car and addiction to the drive also continues. probably if it were a normal car this initial defect would have passed, but even these last miles all still hooked on it. So far no problems have been given only fill the tank (batteries) and walk hopefully continue. I leave with the mark of the photo taken in my 10000km leaf.

Just picked up my Leaf at Younker Nissan outside of Seattle. Ask for Dennis, he was awesome.

• 2013 Leaf SV
  • + LED/QC
  • + Premium

leaf2.jpg

leaf1.jpg

--Carter

;) well I waited and waited. Took delivery of a 2014 sl cayenne red. So far it is a great car. I pitted two dealers against each other for the exact same model and color. It worked well. So far the car is living up to the technology changes made in the 2014's. I particularly like the percentage charge display. It appears to be accurate. Will keep everyone posted as I add some miles.

Mtown0031 said:
;) well I waited and waited. Took delivery of a 2014 sl cayenne red. So far it is a great car. I pitted two dealers against each other for the exact same model and color. It worked well. So far the car is living up to the technology changes made in the 2014's. I particularly like the percentage charge display. It appears to be accurate. Will keep everyone posted as I add some miles.
I thought that was illegal.

Attachments

• 87860087.jpg
    87860087.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 128
greengate said:
Mtown0031 said:
I thought that was illegal.

illegal?? oh no!! not even close to being illegal

It was a friendly competition between the two. Was surprised and delighted. Am in central North Carolina. Thank goodness we don't experience the weather extremes but a few weeks during the winter.

Picked up my white 2013 S with charge package last week, Dec manufacture date. Installed a L2 charger and have ready access to DCQC on the CT turnpike - no fee! I researched the Leaf for about a year and this Forum was a huge help! Most likely will buy a donut spare.

Leased a 2013 SV with 360 cameras + upgraded sound two weeks ago. Very pleasant so far, with a short commute I only charge once every four days or so. For the first week I kept telling my wife I was driving the future. That's how it feels anyway ;)

Things I already like a lot: head room, seat comfort, the backup/360 cameras, the heated steering wheel and climate system (for winter), the slight kick when I want to accelerate and the ride which reminds me of our now departed 2000 Accord V6 in how it drives. That's a pretty high compliment for a smallish car.

After I bought it I found out my company is installing a couple of charging spots at work within reasonable parking distance for employees. So that's a pretty sweet deal!

Funny what you notice once you get one of these. There's one other Leaf in town and I spotted a Ford Fusion and Toyota RAV4 at the public charging station nearby. Hope to see more electrics around town.

Back