The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgalvan said:
I got my 2014 (Blue Ocean) Leaf S with charger package and floor mats last friday (4/25/14) here in Los Angeles.

Total Cost (including sales tax, fees and $2500 Nissan Cash Back): $28,869.37
Afte $2500 CA rebate in September, and $7500 fed credit next year . . . net cost will be: $18,869.37

Drove it to Expo park and charged for free while we went to the museum! Drove to work this morning (from the Valley to Santa Monica), and my guess-o-meter estimated more range after arrival than it did before I left! (started 88 miles, ended 92 miles)! Guess it's because I was mainly coasting down the hill.

I figure my yearly fuel costs will go from $1500 (with the 30 mpg car this Leaf is replacing) to ~$500, saving $1000/year. BUT! that's assuming I'm the one paying for the electricity! In actuality, my employer offers free charging, so I'll only really pay for the cost of half my commute! (drive from home to work, charge back up for free, drive from work to home, pay to charge back up). So, with a real savings of closer to $1250, I have no worries about one day maybe needing to use Nissan's $1200 per year battery replacement program. It'd still be cheaper than driving the gas car.

You would end up using you leaf a lot more than you anticipated. The more you drive, the more you save :)

beachwaterkk said:
You would end up using you leaf a lot more than you anticipated. The more you drive, the more you save :)

I expect you're right: This car will become our "local family car". We'll only use our other car (a 20 mpg Hyundai Santa Fe) for long distance trips and for my wife's (shorter) commute. I figure the Leaf is about 4 cents per mile, and the Santa Fe is about 20 cents per mile. Eventually, maybe we'll replace the Santa Fe with a VW TDI wagon.

Hi

Picked up our Leaf on the last day of April. Location: Estonia. Model: Acenta. Lucky us - from ordering it took two and half weeks. One week was lost as dealer fell ill.
Brand new... 6km on the display when started. :) So far... learning and trying to think-leaf.
For now ca 550km and it feels great. :)

See you...

I just picked up a used 2011 SL in Glacier White with 26k miles for $13k. I couldn't think of a cheaper, more economical car to get at that price. I get to charge for free at home and work so my costs will literally be just any maintenance items on the car.

The car still has 12 bars and with my driving I don't have to charge more than 80% typically. I assume this is the best way to try to maintain the batteries in the best condition/capacity?

I already own a Volt (wife's car) so I am excited to add another electric car to the fleet!

Yeah, it was def the cheapest anywhere I can find. I 'lucked' out in that this buyer had it on craigslist for 2 months but was unable to sell until 4/19. So I think he lost a lot of potential buyers because of it. I on the other hand was taking my time, looking for a good deal. His asking price was actually $14,900 but I negotiated and got him down. I think there was some urgency because of the need to use this money to buy his Volt cash, the day he was able to sell it. The date restriction on selling was to make sure the proper time elapsed to meet the requirements on the refunds received from the gov.

The only other cheaper car I found in the 2 months I searched for one was a salvage title which of course I wouldn't touch.

Being that I saved so much on the price, I'm thinking of doing the leather install which some have used on this forum in the Los Angeles area. Although the cars' interior is clean, there are a few slight stains on the door cards that I couldn't clean out.

ha, I didn't even realize my typo. No wonder some were sceptical. Sorry, it's a 2011, not 2013! :oops:

I fixed the typo. Sorry guys!

Folks,

I am trying to register my new 2014 leaf S in the https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/user/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; webpage, however it keeps throwing the error to contact customer support. Any one have a success adding it? Is there any advantage of doing it?

Does Nissan going to send free charing card to buyers, who bought the car after April 1? if so how/when we receive it?

Thanks a bunch,

I'm Steve Swift and I've had my (Oct 31, 2011) Leaf for 77 days. It had done about 17,000 miles and it cost me £10,000 which is $16,810

Being a retired programmer, I've written a program which reports how much I've saved since trading in my Honda Legend (~22 mpg) and buying the Leaf.
I'm not doing a high mileage, so I won't break even for about 9 years, but that wasn't my main motivation. In 9 years time, I'll be able to afford to run a Leaf, but I probably couldn't fuel the Honda on my pension.

Just brought home my 2014 LEAF SL w/ Premium package. I sold my 2007 BMW 335i and ended up leasing the LEAF for $294 month, $0 down for 3 years / 12k miles per year.

Signed up for the TX rebate of $1875... Will see if it actually comes through.

Got my 2014 LEAF SL with Premium package on Sunday, Jun 8th.

$2500 down - $2500 CA rebate offsets down payment.
$257 / month.
36k/year lease.

My first electric car. Very excited, got a free Level 2 charger from a friend, the charger came with his Fit EV lease, but he's not using it.

DC fast charger at Nissan dealer 2 miles away. Commute is 64 miles round-trip. All set for the next 3 years.

-ThinkMac-

I got my 2013 Leaf SV with QC and premium pkg on Saturday May 31st.

$1,000 down
$200.89/month
2 yr lease 15k mi per year

I should say that a family member owns a Nissan dealer, so I got the family price. However, prior to calling on the family member to sell me a Leaf I test drove and negotiated the following: $1,000 down, $204/mo for 24 months 15k miles per year. That deal was also a 2013 SV with premium pkg, but it did not have the QC. I really wanted the QC even though I probably won't use it, just in case I needed it. Great deals are out there for left over 2013s.

This is my first electric car and I am thrilled every day I drive it. My commute is 54 miles round trip, and so far I have completed the trip with at least 30 miles of range remaining each day, better than expected.

I bought a Siemens level 2 EVSE, works great.

rtackett said:
I got my 2013 Leaf SV with QC and premium pkg on Saturday May 31st.

$1,000 down
$200.89/month
2 yr lease 15k
This is my first electric car and I am thrilled every day I drive it. My commute is 54 miles round trip, and so far I have completed the trip with at least 30 miles of range remaining each day, better than expected.
Congratulations :!: Great deal :!:
Please add location to your profile. Do you have work place charging?
If not and depending on location you may have to avoid use of heat in cold weather during later part of year two.

I bought a lease return with 32K on it. $8K cash plus $7.5K @0% for 5 years. Payments are $123/mo. Still has 12 GOM bars. Sorta kinda almost like a new one except the nav display is dark save a "No SD card" message. But the BIG NUMERALS on the dash said "57"! & even the salesman agreed that should be enough to go from Santa Clara Nissan to San Francisco Nissan to charge up on my way to Petaluma. Except if you just turn on the air & stomp on the "gas" like its a regular car, the BIG NUMERALS start counting down real quick.

Doh! Ain't gonna make it to the SF Nissan! Better pull over in this industrial section near the Bay Bridge & charge up before I run out of "gas!" 'Cept the nav didn't work & I didn't know where to find a "pump." Asked some random guy wandering about if he knew where a charge post was & he pointed at a darkened, closed-up shop. I called the number on the post & eventually got home around midnight.

Sure have learned a lot these last three days.... & now I LOVE this thing! Better than expected. Perfect for what I need. Way happy.

Picked up a new 2014 in Concord CA last Thursday. Drove it all the way home to Davis CA (55 miles) and still had 52% charge remaining. Guess drafting behind the big trucks works! What an enjoyable vehicle. My wife wasn't convinced until she drove it. Now I'm having trouble reserving time in the car!

uglyduck said:
I bought a lease return with 32K on it. $8K cash plus $7.5K @0% for 5 years. Payments are $123/mo. Still has 12 GOM bars. Sorta kinda almost like a new one except the nav display is dark save a "No SD card" message. But the BIG NUMERALS on the dash said "57"! & even the salesman agreed that should be enough to go from Santa Clara Nissan to San Francisco Nissan to charge up on my way to Petaluma. Except if you just turn on the air & stomp on the "gas" like its a regular car, the BIG NUMERALS start counting down real quick.

Doh! Ain't gonna make it to the SF Nissan! Better pull over in this industrial section near the Bay Bridge & charge up before I run out of "gas!" 'Cept the nav didn't work & I didn't know where to find a "pump." Asked some random guy wandering about if he knew where a charge post was & he pointed at a darkened, closed-up shop. I called the number on the post & eventually got home around midnight.
Lease return? What model year? Where did the car previously live (from a Carfax and/or AutoCheck report)?

12 GOM bars? How many capacity bars are left on it? See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Symptoms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a 3 bar loser example. You want to look at the thin bars all the way on the right. If you have all 12, hopefully it wasn't due to an unscrupulous dealer resetting it. If so, it'll eventually go to what it should read.

As for the GOM numbers, see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a new undegraded batter (yours is not). Forget the GOM.

As for no SD card, sounds like someone removed the SD card w/the map data. Fun. :(

You shouldn't really bother depending on the nav system (if it had the SD card) for charging stations anyway. Best to use http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the site and smartphone apps. You'll want to filter for EV Plug (J1772). If your car has a CHAdeMO port (big port on the left), you'l want to also include CHAdeMO DC FC or Quick Charge (CHAdeMO). DO NOT depend on Blink locations. And, in general, have plenty of backups, just in case.

Hey.... thanks for all the info - noobs need that kinda stuff...

Lease return? What model year? Where did the car previously live (from a Carfax and/or AutoCheck report)?

A 2011 owned 3 yrs 2 mo in Thousand Oaks, CA. Its probably been through some hot summers, but shows no signs of sun damage (or premature battery degradation).

12 GOM bars? How many capacity bars are left on it? You want to look at the thin bars all the way on the right.

There are 12 capacity bars on the right that match up with 12 bars just to their left (when fully charged). As I drive, the 12 capacity bars on the right remain static as the bars on the left diminish. I just drove 13 miles on a 100% charge. The bars originally matched 12 & 12 & the "miles left" display suggested 113 miles remaining. After 13 miles, there were 10 bars on the left, 12 bars on the right & the "miles left" display said 100 miles left.

If you have all 12, hopefully it wasn't due to an unscrupulous dealer resetting it. If so, it'll eventually go to what it should read.

Hey! It never occurred to me that they might reset it! That would be unscrupulous! When I first got the car 6 days ago, a display on the dash said "Average Miles per kwh 3.4." Now it says "3.5."

Back